advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Shingles...any ever had them? Trained with them?

Aikman56

Kilo Klub Member
Hey guys, I spent several hours yesterday in the Urgent Care (waiting!). I woke up Sunday with some unusual abdominal pain. This followed on Monday morning with more pain and some odd skin sensitivity on the right side of my body starting at the middle of my abdomen and wrapping around to the midline of my back.

Tuesday AM, more pain, more skin sensitivity and that night, I had a little place on my side that looked like poison ivy, but didn't itch.

Wed AM...PAIN!!!!!! Holy shit, pain!!!

Anyway, the doc said it's shingles (39 years old, what in the HELL???), gave me 7 days of Valtrex and 5 days of Prednisone and told me to stay on my ass until Sunday.

Now, he told me that the rash and pain are going to hang around for a while but I can get back to regular activity Sunday. Anyone that's had it, how did you work around this crap to train? Just feeling a t-shirt brush over the rash feels like fire. The neuropathic pain (through the muscle, down to the guts!), I can handle, but this rash is a motherfucker.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HAd em, no way I could have trained with them.

Taking L-lysine daily will help keep shingles at bay for future reference.

Hey guys, I spent several hours yesterday in the Urgent Care (waiting!). I woke up Sunday with some unusual abdominal pain. This followed on Monday morning with more pain and some odd skin sensitivity on the right side of my body starting at the middle of my abdomen and wrapping around to the midline of my back.

Tuesday AM, more pain, more skin sensitivity and that night, I had a little place on my side that looked like poison ivy, but didn't itch.

Wed AM...PAIN!!!!!! Holy shit, pain!!!

Anyway, the doc said it's shingles (39 years old, what in the HELL???), gave me 7 days of Valtrex and 5 days of Prednisone and told me to stay on my ass until Sunday.

Now, he told me that the rash and pain are going to hang around for a while but I can get back to regular activity Sunday. Anyone that's had it, how did you work around this crap to train? Just feeling a t-shirt brush over the rash feels like fire. The neuropathic pain (through the muscle, down to the guts!), I can handle, but this rash is a motherfucker.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As I told you over text last night, I hope you are ok bro...and on a quick road to getting over them. I DID NOT read through these, however they are posts from the last couple years and I presume there will be some relevant information or advice contained in them..

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/professional-muscle-forum/103066-o-t-i-have-shingles.html
http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/professional-muscle-forum/93782-shingles.html

I've been telling everyone that I know, if you've ever had chickenpox, go get the shingles vaccine.

I don't care if your insurance doesn't cover it (usually doesn't if you're under age 50), it's worth not having to feel the way I'm feeling right now.

Get the damn shot!

That's the advice Aikman56 gave me last night and I am really going to make that a priority. Everyone I have ever heard of that has had it says it's a nightmare.

My ex wife use to get them. She was miserable and said the pain was awful.

HAd em, no way I could have trained with them.
When did you have them? How long did you have the rash? What about the neuropathic pain?
As I told you over text last night, I hope you are ok bro...and on a quick road to getting over them. I DID NOT read through these, however they are posts from the last couple years and I presume there will be some relevant information or advice contained in them..

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/professional-muscle-forum/103066-o-t-i-have-shingles.html
http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/professional-muscle-forum/93782-shingles.html
Thank you!

If someone has NOT had chickenpox, is it totally impossible to get?

Correct.

The virus that causes chickenpox leaves behind the viral goodies that lie dormant in the nerves until they erupt as shingles.

Now, if you have not had chickenpox, but are exposed to someone with shingles, you can get chickenpox. But, from what I've read, if you've had chickenpox, coming into contact with someone with shingles will NOT cause an outbreak.

It comes from the inside out...stress, immune deficiency, etc...

Last edited:
Is this time of the year normal for outbreaks? I personally know 3 people with shingles right now.

I don't know.

For me, it's like my first Jeep. Never noticed how many there were on the road until I was driving one!

Now, I can't get away from shingles stories!!!:banghead:

Shingles and herpes outbreaks are caused from levels of arginine being higher than lysine levels. It makes me wonder if taking a pre workout packed with arginine is not the smartest idea. Ive even read the virus hides dormant in our spinal area and misalignment of the spine can trigger outbreaks. Id assume a chiropractor would be of good use in high risk people.

Last edited:
Shingles and herpes outbreaks are caused from levels of arginine being higher than lysine levels. It makes me wonder if taking a pre workout packed with arginine is not the smartest idea. Ive even read the virus hides dormant in our spinal area and misalignment of the spine can trigger outbreaks. Id assume a chiropractor would be of good use in high risk people.

That's intriguing...I'm going to dig into that a bit.

After what I'm experiencing right now, I'll do damn near anything to avoid going through it again!

Where did you read this stuff? A good place you'd recommend starting?

Yes!!! I had them. Was told they can come on by high stress levels. They attack a nerve usually around the belt line. Mine attached to the meadial nerve on my forhead. Had the line right down the center of my head/face with a rash on the entire left side. Even got lesions on my cornia. Needless to say it was not fun. That was 3 years ago. I still have nerve issues on my head. If you touch my forehead i get a wave of tingeling around to my ear. Worst part is i still have scar tissue on my cornia that wasnt dissolved by a bunch of really expensive eye drops. Vision is a bit fuzzy but in that eye and sensitive to light. Next step is a cornia replacement to fix the vision issues.
Dont fuck around with shingles!

Last edited:
i had shingles one time. when i was in school. it was on the right side of my back up on my right shoulder going all the way down to the waist. i remember scatching them and man did they get sore. at first my mom thought it was poison ivy but we ended up going to the dr and it was shingles.

holy shit. in the eye? i can't imagine the pain that caused.
Yes!!! I had them. Was told they can come on by high stress levels. They attack a nerve usually around the belt line. Mine attached to the meadial nerve on my forhead. Had the line right down the center of my head/face with a rash on the entire left side. Even got lesions on my cornia. Needless to say it was not fun. That was 3 years ago. I still have nerve issues on my head. If you touch my forehead i get a wave of tingeling around to my ear. Worst part is i still have scar tissue on my cornia that wasnt dissolved by a bunch of really expensive eye drops. Vision is a bit fuzzy but in that eye and sensitive to light. Next step is a cornia replacement to fix the vision issues.

Shingles on or near the face is extremely serious issue. Scary stuff to read! Ill dig up some literature on this issue. I suffer from cold sores and ever since i found out about l-lysine i never have an outbreak. I can feel that weird tingle on my upper lip, and that's when i pop 2 grams of lysine and within a day the virus is back to being dormant without any outbreak of blisters. A friend of mine has shingles right now and told me its dormant in our nerve ending, which got my mind thinking because that's exactly how cold sores are. I did some google searching the other day and what i posted above was a few things i found out.

I had chicken pox as a kid, dont get cold sores and honestly rarely get sick.

The headaches from the shingles were horrible. Luckly i had a supply of pain meds for the rest of it. The nerve in my forehead my or may never regenerate. No biggie..hasnt been an issue except for the phantom feelings. Lol..feels weird. The eye thing sucks. Driving at night is more difficult..looking at headlights is like looking through a kaleidoscope. Thankfully my other eye has perfect vision. Ive been told once the scar tissue is removed from the cornia my vision will be back to normal.

I agree with Theone233 about chiropractor treatments. I'm not big on vaccinations but having been through it i would seriously consider one for shingles..especially the older population who can be hit pretty hard by it.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws