advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone use whey as their primary protein source?

20sam91

Registered
I've just been so busy lately I've been sipping on up to 350g of whey concentrate per day just to hit my macros. Anyone have any idea what effect this would have on body composition long-term? If I split this into 6 how much is getting converted to glucose / being wasted?

That sounds like quite a bit of synthetic protein. How heavy are you?

No one that is even mildly serious about the lifestyle would do this. Find a way to make/pack/eat your meals because it's far far better than BS whey protein.

I have a buddy who relies to heavily on his powders, and his physique reflects that- whole foods as much as possible- huge difference.

Don't do it...

Cooking some chicken doesn't take too long. Use LBA's or liquid egg whites for convenient protein between meals.

84% is wasted. 16% will be utilized and 84% will be converted to catabolites. Also known as caloric energy or waste. Only 16% of whey is conducive to nitrogen retention; about half of the efficiency of most whole food protein sources. This is why you see most serious bodybuilders recommending food over powder.

do what you gotta do. if it's convenient..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84% is wasted. 16% will be utilized and 84% will be converted to catabolites. Also known as caloric energy or waste. Only 16% of whey is conducive to nitrogen retention; about half of the efficiency of most whole food protein sources. This is why you see most serious bodybuilders recommending food over powder.

Please source where you got those info from. 16%?

I'm guilty of consuming a lot of whey isolate. Probably 250+ grams a day even more on workout days. Then I get another 150 grams from solid food.
My metabolism is such that I cannot consume all that with just solid food. Too much bulk with all that food. I would love to eat most if not all of my protein from solid food but it's just not the case.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

I drink a shake consisting of 50% Casein, 50% whey isolate before bed, total of 75 grams of protein.

I do another post workout of 25 grams whey isolate. That's only 4 days a week.

For the most part straight whey gives me the shits.

I've just been so busy lately I've been sipping on up to 350g of whey concentrate per day just to hit my macros. Anyone have any idea what effect this would have on body composition long-term? If I split this into 6 how much is getting converted to glucose / being wasted?

Holy shit bro, thats a lot of shakes, and Whey concentrate is the lowest grade you can get. I used to use whey as my protein of choice but i would have no more than 2-3 shakes a day, and i learned a long time ago to buy Hydrolyzed Isolate, or at the very least pure isolate.

I dont know how your stomach handles all that concentrate. I dont know the exact stats but you get very little actual protein when its concentrate, and then you absorb even less.

I would definitely cut down on the shakes, and when you do have them do some research and buy the high quality stuff. You can try Pure whey isolate, pepto pro, eaa's, LBA's.... but just to supplement your solid food.

All egg white substitutes are pasteurized now, drink that or eat tuna out of a can if your that desperate but dont have all those shakes.

Please source where you got those info from. 16%?

He is talking about NNU. Net nitrogen utilization. Much of it is converted to glucose and burned off as energy or wasted.

Thanks for your thoughts guys, all really interesting. Up until recently I got 50% of my protein from whey and the rest from whole food, going to get back to that at the very least. As for the concentrate vs isolate argument... I heard concentrate is actually more bio available? I only bought it because it was cheaper anyway but will look into upgrading

Thanks for your thoughts guys, all really interesting. Up until recently I got 50% of my protein from whey and the rest from whole food, going to get back to that at the very least. As for the concentrate vs isolate argument... I heard concentrate is actually more bio available? I only bought it because it was cheaper anyway but will look into upgrading

No. There are certain things in the concentrate that are not the isolate. But you are way better using isolate. I use ISO-100 from Dymatize and Hydro Whey from Optimum. Sometimes I'll buy CFM whey isolate from true nutrition.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

I know of someone who does 6 shakes per day and 1 whole meal. Has for years and he competed nationally. So it can be done. But it still doesn't make it optimal. However I my mind if there's absolutely no other option then a shake is better than nothing.

Have you ever considered drinking egg whites?

I really heavily on powders to maintain my ripped 260 lbs.
No way in hell to chew the amount of micros I need daily.
I guess I'm not as serious as some of the 212lbers. lol

Ehh I'll get flamed for this but screw it (here come the personal attacks).

Protein powders are just as effective as real food. The different in results will be negligible. There is no science or actual data suggesting protein sources that you have to chew on will give you bigger muscles. I don't give a shit if "real" food made you an ifbb pro. A good protein powder will have gotten you to the same level.

I wish I could find the article again but there was previously a study done trying to prove whole foods were better but the results showed the only real difference between protein from food to a good quality whey was a bit higher sodium count in the whey.

definitely whole foods...

whey powders are more capable of being converted to glucose, and that could be bad for your kidneys (IIRC).

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member