over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

ephedra and high liver emzymes

cardealer

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I took a fat burner that had 50mg ephedra.Recommend dose wqas 1 daily.I used 2 a day for 30 days and had elevated liver emzymes AST 76,ALT 141.Anyone else had this experience?

liver tests are worthless if you worked out the day before

heavy lifting = breaks down muscle = increases inflammation/liver values

unscientifically speaking: destroyed muscle cells are "flushed out" and put stress on the liver

actually it takes up to a week or so for liver values to return to normal i was told. you can get values of twice the reference range from just lifting heavy the days before the bloodtest.

if you pushed yourself hard because of the ephedra that could cause the liver values.

oooor there was something else inside the "fat burner" ;)

Holy shit. I was actually about to start a thread with my blood results because my liver values were
ALT 55
AST 53
and have me freaking out because I just started my blast this week lol. Hopefully o boy above me is correct and its due to heavy lifting because this has me worried

I took a fat burner that had 50mg ephedra.Recommend dose wqas 1 daily.I used 2 a day for 30 days and had elevated liver emzymes AST 76,ALT 141.Anyone else had this experience?

that's high for just that u takin nay other orals? were these caps or pills?

the enzyme they test for during your blood work to detect an unhealthy liver is also the same enzyme that can leak through damaged muscle tissue. or if you eat a lot of protein. i can lower my levels if i don't work out and cut back on mt meat. but it only lowers mine 5-10 points at most. very high levels are from a damaged liver IMO. i used to take 350mg of ephedra that was standardized at 8% ephedrine. so 50mg really isn't very much ephedra.

yea i get high values if i take any orals but when im on ephedra (or ephedrine) my values come back normal

I do not believe there is any correlation with the ephedra use elevating your liver. I have been around epehedra for nearly 18 years now, since the late 90's and have never had nor seen this caused by it. These were FAR more significant doses taken as well. I am wondering if you drink or have any sort of family history or previous history? Did you run orals in the past without any on cycle protection? This all could play a role or it could also be something else but I would not believe it has anything to do with the ephedra itself. Anything is possible but its highly unlikely and those levels are pretty high. Are you addressing the issue properly?

well I know that your creatinine and BUN will be elevated from diet and daily training..

I have never had high liver values though

unscientifically speaking: destroyed muscle cells are "flushed out" and put stress on the liver

actually it takes up to a week or so for liver values to return to normal i was told. you can get values of twice the reference range from just lifting heavy the days before the bloodtest.

if you pushed yourself hard because of the ephedra that could cause the liver values.

oooor there was something else inside the "fat burner" ;)

This post has a whole lot of validity to it, and a lot of people don't even realize this. Heavy lifting and rigorous exercise (breaking down tissue) does put a lot of stress on the liver, which will in turn raise your liver values. I don't believe there to be any relation to ephedra and raising those values, since it is not metabolized by the liver. Liver values will fluctuate quite a bit day in and day out from active lifters, so to get a good idea of what is going on you would probably have to refrain from rigorous activity for at least 3 days before any bloodwork for it to be fairly accurate to what is actually going on

My question is since we are always saying that lifting will increase liver values some and that you need to stop training days before the test, which I'm not arguing, they clearly do. But if that's the case why are people concerned when values are slightly elevated. By not training before the test you are manipulating the test to show values that fall into the "normal" range to feel better. The fact is most of us here rarely go multiple days without training so 99% of the year our values could be elevated. This is why I find normal values and ranges almost pointless when it comes to then human body. Sure its useful for reference I suppose, but even then there always is the possibility that someone may just naturally not fall into the ranges and it could mean nothing.

I'm not drawing this conclusion necessarily from my tests, but more so from people who have nothing to do with his lifestyle who have had tests out of range to only have doctors tell them that it could be nothing and that the the ranges are admittedly just rough guidelines.

What...?:confused:
This simply isn't true.
You can have perfectly normal AST/ALT levels even if you just did 15 sets of back including a 700pound deadlift the day of or day before getting the blood test done.

What...?:confused:
This simply isn't true.
You can have perfectly normal AST/ALT levels even if you just did 15 sets of back including a 700pound deadlift the day of or day before getting the blood test done.

Trinity. You, of all people should know better than this. I'm surprised you would make such a claim? Your premises is absolutely false.

Muscular exercise can cause highly pathological liver function tests in healthy men. - ResearchGate

Muscular exercise can cause highly pathological liver function tests in healthy men.

Jonas Pettersson

Ulf Hindorf

Paula Persson

Thomas Bengtsson

Ulf Malmqvist

Viktoria Werkström

Mats Ekelund

AstraZeneca R&D Lund, Lund, Sweden.
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology (Impact Factor: 3.69). 03/2008; 65(2):253-9. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2125.2007.03001.x

ABSTRACT What is already known about this subject: The occurrence of idiosyncratic drug hepatotoxicity is a major problem in all phases of clinical drug development and the leading cause of postmarketing warnings and withdrawals. Physical exercise can result in transient elevations of liver function tests. There is no consensus in the literature on which forms of exercise may cause changes in liver function tests and to what extent. What this study adds: Weightlifting results in profound increases in liver function tests in healthy men used to moderate physical activity, not including weightlifting. Liver function tests are significantly increased for at least 7 days after weightlifting. It is important to impose relevant restrictions on heavy muscular exercise prior to and during clinical studies.
To investigate the effect of intensive muscular exercise (weightlifting) on clinical chemistry parameters reflecting liver function in healthy men.
Fifteen healthy men, used to moderate physical activity not including weightlifting, performed an 1 h long weightlifting programme. Blood was sampled for clinical chemistry parameters [aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alanine aminotransferase (ALT), lactate dehydrogenase (LD), gamma-glutamyl transferase (gamma GT), alkaline phosphatase (ALP), bilirubin, creatine kinase (CK) and myoglobin] at repeated intervals during 7 days postexercise and at a follow-up examination 10-12 days postexercise.
Five out of eight studied clinical chemistry parameters (AST, ALT, LD, CK and myoglobin) increased significantly after exercise (P < 0.01) and remained increased for at least 7 days postexercise. Bilirubin, gamma GT and ALP remained within the normal range.
The liver function parameters, AST and ALT, were significantly increased for at least 7 days after the exercise. In addition, LD and, in particular, CK and myoglobin showed highly elevated levels. These findings highlight the importance of imposing restrictions on weightlifting prior to and during clinical studies. Intensive muscular exercise, e.g. weightlifting, should also be considered as a cause of asymptomatic elevations of liver function tests in daily clinical practice.

Last edited:
This post has a whole lot of validity to it, and a lot of people don't even realize this. Heavy lifting and rigorous exercise (breaking down tissue) does put a lot of stress on the liver, which will in turn raise your liver values. I don't believe there to be any relation to ephedra and raising those values, since it is not metabolized by the liver. Liver values will fluctuate quite a bit day in and day out from active lifters, so to get a good idea of what is going on you would probably have to refrain from rigorous activity for at least 3 days before any bloodwork for it to be fairly accurate to what is actually going on

Spot on. As a practical matter every 12-16 weeks I take off say 4 days from training, supplements lowered (i.e. protein, fish oil etc). I will then get my bw done.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws