over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

50+ With Decades of Training

buck

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
i was wondering what sort of work load that you guys are doing now that we are getting on in years. due to age, wear and tear, injuries recovery rate etc. i can't or really shouldn't be handling the poundage's i have in the past. and am looking to see what 50+ year old men with decades of experience are doing to still keep in shape or challenge themselves to keep it interesting.
younger guys or older men that have started recently can get benefits with protocols that would not probably apply to what i am seeking.

Mountaindog style here...moderate weight, moderate reps. John adds in band/ chain training, iso holds, super and tri-sets..and even some occlusion training . I'm on doctor prescribed TRT, so the recovery is still good. Train 5 days and fasted cardio 6-7 days in the morning. Been training this way for the past 3 years or so. John is a big believer in saving the joints etc. Also changing up the training monthly. Before this I was balls to the wall all the time...body just can't handle that anymore. Just turned 50.

Last edited:
I'm 54 been lifting since I was 13 competed in power liftng in the early 1980's still train the same squat, bench and deadlifts. I do what I can as far as poundages are concernd but no where near my competition weights. And my body defiantly can't handle anabolics the way it used to. Like everyone says everything in moderation these days

Age is in the mind. I lift more at 52 than ever before. GH for youth, deca and glucosamine for joints, testosterone for aggresiveness, and tren for definition, proviron for sex health, lowering SHBG, and enhancing other AAS.

Don't let these young punks out- do you!

i was wondering what sort of work load that you guys are doing now that we are getting on in years. due to age, wear and tear, injuries recovery rate etc. i can't or really shouldn't be handling the poundage's i have in the past. and am looking to see what 50+ year old men with decades of experience are doing to still keep in shape or challenge themselves to keep it interesting.
younger guys or older men that have started recently can get benefits with protocols that would not probably apply to what i am seeking.

Not quite 50 yet, but something I have learned over the last few years is to not go as far into the stretch with each lift. For example, with fcable flyes, I used to get my arms open and stretched fully and then contract; now I don't go back as far. With seated rows, I used to lean in and get that lat stretch before contracting and pulling in; now again I don't go as far into that stretch. For some reason, the force generated at that point of full stretch is causing tears in my muscles and unwanted injuries, so while I feel like I am cheating, I do more partial movments.

Not quite 50 yet, but something I have learned over the last few years is to not go as far into the stretch with each lift. For example, with fcable flyes, I used to get my arms open and stretched fully and then contract; now I don't go back as far. With seated rows, I used to lean in and get that lat stretch before contracting and pulling in; now again I don't go as far into that stretch. For some reason, the force generated at that point of full stretch is causing tears in my muscles and unwanted injuries, so while I feel like I am cheating, I do more partial movments.

Same here, also using lighter weights. Because the movements are shorter and less ballistic, its hard to go as heavy. For example hack squats, a little rough on the knees when I was 25. We used to drop all the way down and do mucho high reps. Nowadays I stop at parallel to favor the knees, still mighty uncomfortable and feel like the patella tendons gonna snap.
So the confidence is affected as well, causing the drop in poundage outta fear. Hard to keep growing into your masters years.... just have to figure out a way to reach deep into the muscle without tearing it....ive torn my left rotator twice(no surgery) partial peck tear(no surgery) and various small pops and tears... see bruising 4 or 5 days after a certain workout and you didn't even feel it. Yikes

50 here training since I was 14
I only know how to train hard and just take a break when my body tells me it's beat.
I too have shortened my ROM and I actually wish I would've trained like this year's ago. It keeps continuous tension on the muscles more easily

I'll be 60 yrs old in 6 months. For me, I like Wendler's 5-3-1 System. I just can't train for 1 1/2 hour anymore. 5-3-1 still allows me to add weight/reps on every workout and still set PR's on Bench, Deads, and Squats.

I still will go heavy every here and there
I go more frequent but less time in, no more 2.5 hours sessions
Had a PB this oct.(51) but tore a pec tendon the next attempt :eek:
I have some joint issues but I get past them with cort. Inj. when ness.
but other than that 1 injury alll good..
Nice handle BTW;)

Last edited:
Couple years away from 50....As I've gotten older I've tried to apply a saying some old dude told me when I was younger "work smarter not harder". With my training this means the poundages have gone down and I don't train as long or as often as I use to and most importantly I listen to my body. Breaks off from training takes longer for me my groove back. So time off has to be shorter....

Just turned 51 last month. Years of powerlifting took it's toll on my shoulders and elbows, I work around it.
I switch back and forth between Yates style and now Fortitude training.
I keep my workouts under an hour and don't try to work through injuries, I just work around them.

Reps are higher, I try to keep them at 8 and above.
I also use constant tension to try and keep the weight a little lower but still train all out.

So how many times a week do you train each muscle group as well as set range. Repping up to double body weight benches and triple weight squats ans dead lifts weekly is in the past . Twice a week or training 3x doesn't seem to make much of a difference. AS doesn't help recovery like it used to. Been dropping BF lately. But wouldn't mind putting on some of the muscle i used to have. I have had rotator muscles reattached in the past as well as shoulder replacement, herniated and collapsed discs etc.

FT

Fortitude Training keeps me free from injuries.

50 here training since I was 15.
Train hard and does squat, bench and deadlifts.
Poundages are slowly going lighter, but still
stronger than many young boys !
Use anabolics on and off for over 32 years.

61- Recovery and How to Train

Aloha,

Great information brutha's!

Training and Conditioning pretty much my whole life. Weights started at age 10, with my dad buying us a set of Sears sand filled 110 lb weights for us. Push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, dips, rope climbing, and all sports; though football was my favorite.

Olympic weightlifting background (and current Level 1 Coach & Sports Performance Coach), power lifting, bodybuilding, high reps, low reps, super slow, explosive, plyometrics, functional, balance, agility, core and stabilization as well. Have also done a lot of training and conditioning in water for the last 30 years. I really recommend this!!

Bottom line is I learned years ago that our nervous system has only a certain amount of capacity to deliver/signal to, and fire the muscle fibers-with systematic muscle fiber utilization. Maintain perfect form - fail in perfect form. Neural saturation completed, with no compensation through leverage, or other muscles, or other joints taking the load.

I over trained for years, and years. I have the injuries to show for it. Three hip replacements, one major back lumbar surgery, and herniated, and ruptured disc's.

The human body is capable of withstanding various loads. Bones, muscles, and joints need increased load to make gains. However, if one wants to stay as injury free as possible, maximize overall gains while training past 50 the key is,"Emphasize Recovery Techniques that Off Load the Human Structure"!

Back in the mid 90's I spent a couple of summers at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs observing the Olympic weightlifting team, how they trained, recovered, ate, warmed-up, cooled-down, sleep protocols, tap into their parasympathetic system for recovery, and access their sympathetic nervous system to maximize their training and lifts.

Last but not least, while I was there I got to observe and work with a variety of athletes. I learned the protocols being implemented, and utilized for improved performance. Different sports for sure, however the underlying concepts and 'science' behind the athletes programs have been part of my life, and the athletes I work with to this day.

FYI, a balanced approach for the mind, body, spirit is very important too!

V

Last edited:
54 years old here, training since age 14. Most of my life, I didn't go as heavy as I probably could...but maybe that's good in the long run. I basically do DC type training, with adjustments. The short compact workouts really suit me. I'm lifting as heavy as I can within that framework, which in some cases is maybe 20% less than 10 years ago, in some cases more than ever.

I have back and knee issues, so squats and deadlifts are ancient history for me. But i've been lucky (or perhaps smart) in avoiding injury or too much wear and tear. I used to compete, and plan to do so again this summer. I think the biggest secret to longevity is consistency and not really stopping.

Frequency and Routine

Aloha,

Specifically for weight lifting/strength training, I will do no more than a total of 4 days. Emphasizing compound movements primarily, with a few single joint exercises. I also am a great believer in the push/pull training. More back exercises than chest.
My rep range will vary from a pyramid down of 15-12-10 with enough of a weight increase to induce the correct fatigue while keeping strict form to failure. Will do only 2 sets when time is short. Intensity is still there, and relative to my capacity on that day.
Usually upper body one day. Legs the next. Two days in between for rest and recovery. However, I may train upper and lower (upper first) on the same day too. I am changing things up on a regular basis, so that I challenge and stimulate my nervous system, muscles, and hormones!
I will also do a thorough stretching (AIS-Active Isolated Stretching) 2x a week for my legs. Usually do AIS for my upper body after each workout. Specific core and low back (floor exercises) 2-3x a week too. The strength training I do requires core activation.

V

Aloha,

Specifically for weight lifting/strength training, I will do no more than a total of 4 days. Emphasizing compound movements primarily, with a few single joint exercises. I also am a great believer in the push/pull training. More back exercises than chest.
My rep range will vary from a pyramid down of 15-12-10 with enough of a weight increase to induce the correct fatigue while keeping strict form to failure. Will do only 2 sets when time is short. Intensity is still there, and relative to my capacity on that day.
Usually upper body one day. Legs the next. Two days in between for rest and recovery. However, I may train upper and lower (upper first) on the same day too. I am changing things up on a regular basis, so that I challenge and stimulate my nervous system, muscles, and hormones!
I will also do a thorough stretching (AIS-Active Isolated Stretching) 2x a week for my legs. Usually do AIS for my upper body after each workout. Specific core and low back (floor exercises) 2-3x a week too. The strength training I do requires core activation.

V
thank you much for the information.

50+Training Correctly

Aloha buck,

Your welcome. Anytime brutha.

I've also been been working in this field with athletes, non-athletes, specialized needs population, adolescents, and individuals who want to become healthier and fitter for almost 40 years now.

It amazes me how much misinformation there is in the field of weight lifting, strength training and conditioning. When you break it down into the science of human anatomy, levers, load, duration, intensity, failure, neural stimulation, and neural over stimulation, hypertrophy, fast and slow twitch muscle fibers, fueling demands, anaerobic and aerobic, and then understand what happens to the nervous system with proper stimulation, over stimulation, and then enhancing-growth through the proper recovery and adaptations; one can really put together the correct program for anyone at any age.

Unfortunately, science gets lost in the equation because it can be boring, and usually take more time to implement all of the protocols correctly. 90% of all movement aka. strength training that I observe being taught, and that individuals are doing is incorrect, and ultimately will lead to structural breakdown, and limited gains

I have an acronym I consistently use in my assessment and program design:
"RRIP"
-Regression-
-Recovery-
-Integration-
-Progression-

V

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views