over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

New definition of muscle failure

Pitbull1

Registered
What is muscle failure to you? Before today I thought when people meant muscle failure (for example bench press) meant they can't push the bar up anymore.

I learned that the correct meaning of "going to failure" is when you are totally unable to do the exercise with perfect form. Say you are doing bench press and trying to do 12 reps. If you can only get 7 reps in with totally perfect form, even if you can do the other 5 reps with the bar wobbling and barely getting them up, then you hit muscle failure at rep 7, so there is really no reason to do the other 5 on that set.

I want to know what you think about this theory.

Interesting. We used to have a guy on this board that FREQUENTLY started new threads, like this, where he put up information and asked what the board thought. (He left this month and at the same time you pop up.) You did this the other day with a training article, several befoore and now this topic. Hmmm... What was his name..TrinintyD?

Actually, you have started thirteen threads this month since you joined. You sure seem to have a lot of questions and like to kick off threads alot like old Trin. Hmm...

Last edited:
If you can only get 7 reps before you're "wobbly" for 12. Your are using too much weigh. And using to much momentum.

When you're going for one more rep, make it halfway, then end up pinned under the bar...THATS failure.

IMHO

My opinion on this subject is its a subject your gonna have 100 different view point s on. By definition its when u can't complete 1more full rep by your self. Now that's wut I do when I'm training alone. But with a partner which is rarely for me "muscle failure" is when I can't even get another half rep. That's jus a personal thing for me.
I also cycle my failure training cuz if I use it for too many weeks in a row on too many sets I get very fatigued and lethargic and it literally can effect the rest of my daily activities.

What is muscle failure to you? Before today I thought when people meant muscle failure (for example bench press) meant they can't push the bar up anymore.

I learned that the correct meaning of "going to failure" is when you are totally unable to do the exercise with perfect form. Say you are doing bench press and trying to do 12 reps. If you can only get 7 reps in with totally perfect form, even if you can do the other 5 reps with the bar wobbling and barely getting them up, then you hit muscle failure at rep 7, so there is really no reason to do the other 5 on that set.

I want to know what you think about this theory.

You are kind of confusing two things here. Muscle failure, is just that. Being unable to complete another rep, by any means necessary.

Now many people consider a set over or to "failure" when form breaks down. This is because it becomes a "risk vs reward" thing. It is a strategy to try and ensure added safety, but it is not true "failure" or "muscular failure".

Interesting. We used to have a guy on this board that FREQUENTLY started new threads, like this, where he put up information and asked what the board thought. (He left this month and at the same time you pop up.) You did this the other day with a training article, several befoore and now this topic. Hmmm... What was his name..TrinintyD?

Actually, you have started thirteen threads this month since you joined. You sure seem to have a lot of questions and like to kick off threads alot like old Trin. Hmm...

Should I not ask questions? I don't have advice to give, so I ask questions. If this was a cooking forum on how to make french toast and lasagna, ect then I could do advice. Here I ask questions because I like to see what people think about what i'm thinking. If I wanted to keep what I was thinking to myself then I would stay in bed

when i am performing an exercise and on the last rep i know i can not do another one i rack. take 5 deep breaths and STILL cant get the rep i know i hit failure. be safe and grab a spotter when using a barbell ;)

Should I not ask questions? I don't have advice to give, so I ask questions. If this was a cooking forum on how to make french toast and lasagna, ect then I could do advice. Here I ask questions because I like to see what people think about what i'm thinking. If I wanted to keep what I was thinking to myself then I would stay in bed

You make me some of that french toast and lasagna and I'll answere you question ;)

True muscle failure. Imo not many people ever reach it. Idd say 90 plus % odd people even when they fail to push up that last rep did not hit true muscle failure . ( Im talking gym rats,not pm mebers)Most people just never develop that sort of intensity and cns activation. I've trained hit for years and I used to think I was hitting true failure. Over the years my intensity and mental focus has improved and I now know I wasn't. Sometime's I'll train bench and the last rep will not go up and I need assistance yet I don't consider myself to have hit true muscle failure. Mabey I was tired, lost a little focus whatever but you just know. Under these circumstances I'll lower the weight a bit and do some higher rep slower negative stuff. Other times focus is there, the cns is fired up and you do hit true failure. That's when I walk away knowing I did enough. The bench press example you gave is a bad example as if rep 8 doesn't go up with good form rep 9 will not even budge if your using proper intensity.

Haha yeah 61 post this month alone!? Hey Pitbull1 are you a nurse by any chance?

I usually bench with no spot.

So for me it's really until I can't safely toss it up on the lower pin.

When speaking about bench I think it yields more gains when you lift with finesse and go solid tension and tempo. We are bodybuilding, nothing else.

I usually bench with no spot.

So for me it's really until I can't safely toss it up on the lower pin.

When speaking about bench I think it yields more gains when you lift with finesse and go solid tension and tempo. We are bodybuilding, nothing else.

I honestly think your right. Wish I'd thought like this over the last few years

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views