over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Push-ups!

jake deman

Registered
How many of you guys incorporate pushups into your workout? Only recently I've begun finishing up my chest workout with 150 pushups in sets of 10 with 30 seconds rest. I've found this to be a great wrap.

Is this a forgotten exercise? Does anyone else have any ideas or theories into how to best incorporate pushups?

imo its soooo easy to do push ups it takes high volume to get response from msucel. at that point its prob mainly lactic acid u respnd too. bodyweight is too light for me to build muscle doing push ups so I don't see the point. I can do like 100 with out a prob. after work out it would be more difficult but its really just lactic acid that makes it difficult..... better things to do imo
-JS

I usually knock out random sets of 20-25 at any given time of the day... good for a quick pump and to keep joints tendons ligaments warmed up for what ever activities during the day where I am using upper half of body... also gives a quick pick me up with the wellbeing... all in all never forgotten in my book..

and for wrist hand etc strength I always crank them out on my knuckles with a shoulder width hand placement... i boxed for a while back in high school and done a lot of various jobs of mechanical nature working with my hands over the years so hand/finger sensitivity is minimal but only thing that is irritating is rough surfaces scuffing and breaking skin so try to reserve for grassy areas or indoors on carpet or tile...

almost forgot ... the best use for push ups if you trying to make better gains of sorts is probably would say to use as narrow a hand distance as possible keeping your elbows tucked to really isolate your tri's which of just the percentage of body weight your pushing; which is guesstimated at anywhere from 60-70% of body weight, your tri's are getting a decent working...

Last edited:
Gonna go with Johnny on this one... Can't really see how push-ups would be all that effective at this point..

At the end of my workout I usually do a handful of sets of machine peck deck followed by pushup's. I just use light weights.

Try looking into stretch pushups I do think they have a value, it´s a mountaindog exercise if I remember correctly.

I throw them in at the end of a superset after flat or incline DB presses. Great finisher.

Weighted vest push ups on a set of gymnastic rings set close to the floor is one of my favourite chest exercises

Sometimes I like to use push ups to get warmed up before pressing exercises. Slow smooth reps until my crusty old elbows and shoulders stop grinding and popping.

Push ups are great for your rotator cuffs as long as you stretch and are flexible in you shoulders. I feel this benefit makes them a valuable staple in my workouts. Try lifting one foot then alternating to the other foot with each rep. Almost like marching with your feet while you do push ups. I do this for a whole body core type chest exercise. It's fun to do and kind of works your body on a diagonal plane.

They can be good if you change up your hand positioning , triangles , etc.

I like a diamond hand position to blast Tris more but never liked or saw any benefit from push ups other than a quick pump before banging some chick

I have a 480lbs competition bench and I throw pushups in sometimes, hardly would say they are worthless...

Work them here and there to remain efficient at them or as a finisher. but not every week.

I have a 480lbs competition bench and I throw pushups in sometimes, hardly would say they are worthless...

Work them here and there to remain efficient at them or as a finisher. but not every week.

so what do u think u accomplish with them?
bigger muscles?
or do u just get better at doing push ups?
push ups to me are kinda like plyometrics. like standing in place and jumping on top of a box for example. that's GREAT if u need to be able to jump high or jump on top of a box... but in bb'ing and powerlifting the game is about size and/or strength.
does push ups accomplish either? (assuming we are pro muscle athletes and not newbs in their first 6 months of training)

EDIT: should we all incorporate jumping jacks on squat days. lol.
-JS

Last edited:

bigger muscles?

push ups to me are kinda like plyometrics. like standing in place and jumping on top of a box for example. that's GREAT if u need to be able to jump high or jump on top of a box... but in bb'ing and powerlifting the game is about size and/or strength.

does push ups accomplish either? (assuming we are pro muscle athletes and not newbs in their first 6 months of training)

-JS

Well if you are constantly lifting heavy loads and not doing much in terms of volume incorporating some push-ups when appropriate is definitely going to stimulate some growth and muscle efficiency (to a point, there comes a point where you become so efficient at them the workout becomes pointless). There is a reward curve to any accessory movement where the benefit diminishes as efficiency increases. So as you reach the peak of that curve you need to stop the push-ups and move to another accessory. Otherwise as you said you lose other benefits and just start becoming good at doing push-ups and none of us are doing push-up contests

Www.facebook.com/kbrownfitness

bigger muscles?

-JS

Ive found out over the years, lots of guys/girls dont even know how to do a correct pushup. We had to do them in the fire-academy everyday(100s), and on the count of our Sargent. Guys/girls couldnt even hold themselves up after a few dozen. Just cuz your big and bad in the gym, doesnt mean you can do them.. I know I cant rep them out like I used too.

bigger muscles?

-JS

I don't have a 480lb comp bench but I do have a 435 comp bench press (raw), which I realize is NOTHING compared to many of the beasts on this board.

That being said, I've never really gotten mind/body connection on BP with regards to my pecs. With pushups I've found that i can really concentrate on my pecs and keep good constant tension on them. As I said at the top, I've been doing them at the conclusion but thus far I do feel they've been adding some value.

The reason i say this is because the next day my pecs are very sore when typically they are not. Realizing that soreness doesn't equal growth, I feel at least i'm isolating my pecs to some degree.

Last edited:

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner