over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Name this shoulder injury..

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
My shoulders are one of my most dominant bodyparts....from the ages of 21/22-27 I would hit shoulders once or twice a week with lots of side laterals...and [possibly, regrettably] often 3 different pressing exercises. Four years ago...at the age of 27...they started being a pain in the ass and slightly hindered my training...but nothing a little extra rest(training them less often too) and doing less pressing didn't fix. Anyways, I would have slight a/c joint issues or tight rotators and would work around them and warm them up much more diligently.

Cut to late 2014 and 2015 and my right shoulder is giving me a lot of issues. Let me try to explain where. It seems to be the area directly behind the top inner part of the front delt(where it comes to a rounded point. It seems to be directly behind there in between the front delt and the collar bone passing behind it. It's very uncomfortable and very hard to work around. Pressing is okay most of the time...but doing dips is damn near impossible. What are some things I can do and what the hell is going on with me, specifically?

Need to do specific tests to find type of impingement. Most likely sub ad impingement causing damage to your labrum.

Knight,
where the Bicep tendon attaches?

Sounds like bicipital tendinitis.

It is most likely bicipital tendinitis. Very common es pi especially after years of lifting. What's also common is bicipital tendon subluxation. The tendon slips out of the groove on the humerus and it gets hung up laterally to the groove. Can be painful and restrict certain movements, especially flat presses and dips would be impossible as the tendon rubs up on the humerus vigorously.
I'm dealing with it now.
I suggest you rest, stretch and release pecs and internal rotators and strengthen external rotators.
Try the doorway stretch after some good soft tissue work to the pec minor and subscap area underneath your arm pit. Then hit some upper back and external rotation exercises. So far this is helping me. But you must lay off the pushing exercises for a couple of weeks then introduce some lighter lower rep stuff. But first make sure it's improving before adding exercises. My .02

Knight,
where the Bicep tendon attaches?

I am not sure...it's literally as I described. If I trace my collarbone towards my delt, it is literally above the front delt...and slightly underneath. Almost directly in that little divot between your front delt and your trap.

It is most likely bicipital tendinitis. Very common es pi especially after years of lifting. What's also common is bicipital tendon subluxation. The tendon slips out of the groove on the humerus and it gets hung up laterally to the groove. Can be painful and restrict certain movements, especially flat presses and dips would be impossible as the tendon rubs up on the humerus vigorously.
I'm dealing with it now.
I suggest you rest, stretch and release pecs and internal rotators and strengthen external rotators.
Try the doorway stretch after some good soft tissue work to the pec minor and subscap area underneath your arm pit. Then hit some upper back and external rotation exercises. So far this is helping me. But you must lay off the pushing exercises for a couple of weeks then introduce some lighter lower rep stuff. But first make sure it's improving before adding exercises. My .02

From describing it to a chiropractor friend via text, he said it sounds like osteolysis of distal clavicle or actual clavicle rotations due to subclavius problem. His suggestion was train rear delts and rhomboids heavier and stretch the hell out of pec minor.

Hold your arm at your side with supinated palm. Look down your arm. Is your pain in-line with your arm/bicep?

Hold your arm at your side with supinated palm. Look down your arm. Is your pain in-line with your arm/bicep?

Very close...perhaps not 100% inline as the pain might be on the inner side of that "line".

Do you train rear delts?

Look up Kelly Starrett Mobility Wod on YouTube. He has some excellent shoulder rehab exercises and stretches. I would also add tb-500. This has helped many people I have worked with.

you would be surprised how little you need to do to have good shoulders. never go really heavy on them keeping your reps between 10-15 and limited to one exercise like seated dumbbell presses or lateral raises on your chest day. Never lock out so you keep the tension on the delt the whole time and don't go to low either, around ear level.
Then work your rear delt after you train your back and your rear delts will jump to life, follow your bent over laterals with a couple rotator exercises. if I do rear delts with dumbells I work my rotator with cables and cable laterals with dumbbell rotator work.

Any other opinions or suggestions? I appreciate it.

Sounds like your supraspinatus is tight to me. Probably your entire rotator cuff. Supraspinatus externally rotates you arm and when doing dips you are putting tension on it as your arm is internally rotating.

Put the back of your hand on your glut medius/upper butt and then pull your elbow toward the center of your body. If you cannot pull your arm toward your center line or your scapula jumps off your back when you do this than most likely you are tight and creating impingements. Does this reproduce the pain? Go see a physical therapist and learn some stretches before it developes into more.

Most people dont realize how tight there pec minor, pec, lats, rotator cuff muscles and biceps really are. Especially bigger dudes. The stronger your muscles and the tighter they are the quicker degeneration forms.

From describing it to a chiropractor friend via text, he said it sounds like osteolysis of distal clavicle or actual clavicle rotations due to subclavius problem. His suggestion was train rear delts and rhomboids heavier and stretch the hell out of pec minor.

Only we to fix osteolysis is with surgery otherwise u will continually impinge and create spurring along that distal side. I bet money u have swelling of the bursa sac as well. I have the exact diagnosis your friend gave u. Do all the rear delts in the world still won't fix it.

can u raise yr arm straight out to the side all the way up?
when ur on yr back does the pain lessen if your arm is up on the pillow with yr bicep next to yr head?

Only we to fix osteolysis is with surgery otherwise u will continually impinge and create spurring along that distal side. I bet money u have swelling of the bursa sac as well. I have the exact diagnosis your friend gave u. Do all the rear delts in the world still won't fix it.

You personally have it? Or you have me pegged as having it?

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear