over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Who uses Acetyl-L-Carnitine?

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I have always mostly ignored this. I am not sure if it stemmed from years back not quite "buying" what the supplement was about or if the cost had at one point turned me off and I quickly moved on from thinking about it.

Regardless, I understand some love it as a nootropic and others love it as a general health/longevity product. I am not 100% sure on this but nootropic doses seem to be 500-1500mg daily and longevity 500-750mg? My questions to you are...

Why do you use it and how do you really feel it is beneficial?

How do you use it? (dosing/timing)

Thanks!

I always used it when doing a keto diet for the mental acuity. It did seem to help a bit when trying to get into ketosis and clearing out the brain fog.

Never noticed anything with fat loss though.

I took 1g per day with breakfast.

Last edited:
I have always mostly ignored this. I am not sure if it stemmed from years back not quite "buying" what the supplement was about or if the cost had at one point turned me off and I quickly moved on from thinking about it.

Regardless, I understand some love it as a nootropic and others love it as a general health/longevity product. I am not 100% sure on this but nootropic doses seem to be 500-1500mg daily and longevity 500-750mg? My questions to you are...

Why do you use it and how do you really feel it is beneficial?

How do you use it? (dosing/timing)

Thanks!

Funny you brought this up. I was about to buy a bunch the other day until I read this:

There is a concern that propionyl-L-carnitine might make hypothyroidism worse or thyroid hormone treatment less effective. This is because a related chemical, L-carnitine, seems to interfere with thyroid hormone. If you have hypothyroidism, don’t take propionyl-L-carnitine.

Since I take Synthroid I'm not touching that shit.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Here's the ideal I use. Acetyl prevents vascular damage and valve damage and better for the brain, while the regular L carnitine boost the heart's mitochondrial strength, and even reversed fibrosis!! The research indicates that L carntine by itself increase sbad NO, but having probiotics fixes this. So the info is confusing .Take both together IMO. 3 grams each thru out day.

Myocardial carnitine and carnitine palmitoyltransferase deficiencies in patients with severe heart failure.
Martín MA1, Gómez MA, Guillén F, Börnstein B, Campos Y, Rubio JC, de la Calzada CS, Arenas J.

We studied myocardial tissue from 25 cardiac transplant recipients, who had end-stage congestive heart failure (CHF), and from 21 control donor hearts. Concentrations of total carnitine (TC), free carnitine (FC), short-chain acylcarnitines, long-chain acylcarnitines (LCAC) as well as carnitine palmitoyltransferase (CPT) activities were measured in myocardial tissue homogenates and referred to the concentration of non-collagen protein. Compared to controls, the concentrations of TC and FC as well as total CPT activities were significantly lower in patients. LCAC levels and the LCAC to FC ratio values were significantly greater in patients than in controls. . . .
There was a linear relationship between ejection fraction (EF) values and concentrations of TC, FC, or total CPT activities. Values for LCAC and the LCAC to FC ratio were inversely related to EF values. We conclude that failing heart shows decreased total CPT and CPT II activities and carnitine deficiency that may be related to ventricle function.

Funny you brought this up. I was about to buy a bunch the other day until I read this:

There is a concern that propionyl-L-carnitine might make hypothyroidism worse or thyroid hormone treatment less effective. This is because a related chemical, L-carnitine, seems to interfere with thyroid hormone. If you have hypothyroidism, don’t take propionyl-L-carnitine.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

I'm hypo, also. Around 750mg of either type of Carnitine I start feeling very lethargic.

You should be fine using 250mg of either ALCAR and L Carnitine. Which should suffice, aiding in therapeutic mitochondrial function.

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/articles-forum/115384-t3-usage-2.html

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/f...107172-pre-cardio-injectable-l-carnitine.html

Last edited:
pre wo can give quite a boost in nerve excitation, when using other agents you can get it into the 3g range which shows even more.

I like it, though don't use all the time.

I use L-carnitine in liquid form pre workout. 1 cap full (berry flavored) is about 4000mg and I notice it gives me an instant boost of energy and overall I feel it has always helped me when cutting. L-carnitine shuttles fat into the mitochondria and burns it as fuel. I generally take this along side some NO pills and pumps with energy are always present!

Never used the Acetyl version, but I had been considering giving it a shot. It was then that I tried GW1516 and never looked back. GW increases your own natural Carnitine levels in a powerful way. If you're not adverse to GW and comfortable with the price, I'd just use that. I get a discounted gram of GW powder and just make my own preparation; for me it's cheaper than buying the Carnitine supps.

I too do the liquid version at around 1000mg pre workout. I take it with around 400mg coq10. It's the only pre workout I need besides some cream of rice.

I'm hypo, also. Around 750mg of either type of Carnitine I start feeling very lethargic.

Damn I learnt something today.. thanks guys!

I too do the liquid version at around 1000mg pre workout. I take it with around 400mg coq10. It's the only pre workout I need besides some cream of rice.
I keep anti oxidants away from workouts. CoQ10 is also weak/inferior.

I used to be very much into nootropics and loved alcar. It always gave me a sense of mental clarity.

Recently I purchased some and I am getting the opposite effect. I cannot confirm this for sure yet. I am going to leave it out for the next few days, then try it again on a day when I have nothing to do, and wake up feeling good.

I used to be very much into nootropics and loved alcar. It always gave me a sense of mental clarity.

Recently I purchased some and I am getting the opposite effect. I cannot confirm this for sure yet. I am going to leave it out for the next few days, then try it again on a day when I have nothing to do, and wake up feeling good.
Did you alter the dosage or the source/brand?

Hard to say. Been at least 5 years. But I used to take at least a half teaspoon at a time.

Now I've been experimenting with different dosages, and feel fatigued at half or even quarter teaspoon dosages. Again, I can NOT say for sure that alcar is the cause. Will experiment more.
And I've always bought bulk powder, and from different sources. I am confident in the quality. You can't mistake the alcar taste and texture.

I keep anti oxidants away from workouts. CoQ10 is also weak/inferior.

Yes ubiquinol is supposedly much more bioavailable but for the difference in price I just do a ton of coq10. L-Carnatine is supposed to be more effective with coq10. What happens with anti oxidants pre-workout?

Yes ubiquinol is supposedly much more bioavailable but for the difference in price I just do a ton of coq10. L-Carnatine is supposed to be more effective with coq10. What happens with anti oxidants pre-workout?

You need to do the math on that because the ubiquinol is worth the price difference. This is just some easy pass off excuse people make without thinking it through or examining the facts. Laziness, spin-doctoring...whatever you'd like to csll it. Are you really worried about a few bucks for something head and shoulders above its other option?

Damage and free radicals are likely very important/necessary in the repair process.

You need to do the math on that because the ubiquinol is worth the price difference. This is just some easy pass off excuse people make without thinking it through or examining the facts. Laziness, spin-doctoring...whatever you'd like to csll it. Are you really worried about a few bucks for something head and shoulders above its other option?

Damage and free radicals are likely very important/necessary in the repair process.

I just don't see the head and shoulders part. All the studies I have read point to ubiquinol being fully reduced and hence more bioavailable but none can provide by how much. In fact, in many cases unless you have heart disease coq10 is considered just fine for daily use. As far as the price goes, there is a huge difference. And having personally used coq10 over a decade and before it was "fad" I honestly felt no difference when I switched to ubiquinol. But hey to each their own. I figured you had some studies as to why coq10 would be detrimental to weight lifting pre/post workout since I definitely do not view it as some magic supplement that can eliminate all free radicals.

I just don't see the head and shoulders part. All the studies I have read point to ubiquinol being fully reduced and hence more bioavailable but none can provide by how much. In fact, in many cases unless you have heart disease coq10 is considered just fine for daily use. As far as the price goes, there is a huge difference. And having personally used coq10 over a decade and before it was "fad" I honestly felt no difference when I switched to ubiquinol. But hey to each their own. I figured you had some studies as to why coq10 would be detrimental to weight lifting pre/post workout since I definitely do not view it as some magic supplement that can eliminate all free radicals.
It's 8x as powerful in studies. It's not 8x as expensive. Also, around the age of 30 you lose even more of the efficiency to convert ubiquinone to ubiquinol. How about you show me a study where coq10 is better than ubiquinol?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisaac062224
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131