over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

O/T: Learning a second language

Fast Dick

Registered
Has anyone here been successful in learning to speak a second language? Im looking for the best way to learn chinese/mandarin. I heard good things about something called chinesepod and of course theres rosetta stone which has a mix of positive and negative reviews. I want to become fluent and able to hold conversations. Help, anyone?

If you use one of those programs your looking at some years before you can really master it enough do hold conversations without stuttering etc. look into talking a legit class and a local institution. You might like that better than sitting in front of a computer or book alone at home.

Italkie.com

It's a network of professional language teachers around the world. You pick the language you want to learn, pick from a list of teachers and then skype with them for lessons. I learned Greek that way and was fully functional in reading/writing within 8 months. It's pretty affordable, too. I was paying about $14/hr for my lessons.(teacher is hot, too). She emailed me all the text books and reading material and you just book lessons on your own time when your schedule permits. I did one class some weeks and 5 lessons some weeks. My teacher and I are pretty good friends now, too so I always have someone to converse with to keep things fresh in my mind.
Have a look. It's a great way to do it because you get to practice within real time. They also have networks of students on there that you can skype with for free to practice if you trade off with them and help them talking in English

Another thing I'll add. This is quite an endeavor and will take a long time no matter what route. I can read and write Greek better than I can speak in conversation(mainly because of vocabulary). April will be a year for me and I think it would be impossible to become conversational without regular practice, perhaps on a daily basis. You'll have better progress on romantic languages closer to English over something difficult like Chinese(or Greek, for that matter) but you want what you want. I took Greek for the difficulty and challenge. Just stick,to,it and do a little bit everyday. Even if it's only 15 minutes. The knowledge slips fast if you let it.

I speak german and spanish and I will tell you there is no program that will bring you to fluency, much less being able to hold a GOOD conversation with a native. They definitely can help you with the base of the language but you have to expose yourself to it in other ways. Watch movies and shows in said language, listen to music. you must hear how they ACTUALLY talk. Above all try to find people that speak it and talk to them as much as possible

A little discouraging but i appreciate the honesty. I knew going in this would be very hard. I still want to try my best to learn though. I took me well over an hour this morning to learn a simple phrase "Hello, what is your name?"

Has anyone here been successful in learning to speak a second language? Im looking for the best way to learn chinese/mandarin. I heard good things about something called chinesepod and of course theres rosetta stone which has a mix of positive and negative reviews. I want to become fluent and able to hold conversations. Help, anyone?

I would say that if you can find a local tutor go that route, my wife teaches Mandarin but she charges much more than 14 per hour, if you really want to be fluent at it, it will take awhile, she has an advanced student but he has been at it for about 5 years. hao yun! ( good luck ).

I learned Spanish as an adult, no classes just learning living in places.

go live in china for a bit, you will learn for real and much faster.

people that just learn in classes do not sound right when speaking.

go live in china for a bit, you will learn for real

I honestly would love to spend some time in china. I find the culture interesting. Surely would be the best way to learn the language. Just not the most practical.

Italkie.com

It's a network of professional language teachers around the world. You pick the language you want to learn, pick from a list of teachers and then skype with them for lessons. I learned Greek that way and was fully functional in reading/writing within 8 months. It's pretty affordable, too. I was paying about $14/hr for my lessons.(teacher is hot, too). She emailed me all the text books and reading material and you just book lessons on your own time when your schedule permits. I did one class some weeks and 5 lessons some weeks. My teacher and I are pretty good friends now, too so I always have someone to converse with to keep things fresh in my mind.
Have a look. It's a great way to do it because you get to practice within real time. They also have networks of students on there that you can skype with for free to practice if you trade off with them and help them talking in English

Italkie.com is a bunch of MALAKA! J/K LOL ;)

-Baseline

Last edited:
Baseline, so whats your opinion on italkie?

I've never used it. I have heard good things from people that have though. Also Babble is suppose to be another good one.

-Baseline

Σε κάθε δική του

I just wanted to joke around with you and say something in Greek! :) I have never used Italkie but I have heard it's good!

-Baseline

I learned Mandarin and am pretty fluent. Only one way to do this. Move to a country where Mandarin is that national language. That leaves two options, China or Taiwan. Taiwan is way friendlier and they use the traditional characters which are much nicer to look at.

Good luck

I honestly would love to spend some time in china. I find the culture interesting. Surely would be the best way to learn the language. Just not the most practical.

what about china town? lol!

do you live in a big city?

im sure you could find some one to give you private lessons.

go to there house for a few hrs a week, have dinner, do house things, cooking cleaning etc but you can only speak Chinese.

i have lived with several people that did not speak any English, this was about the most helpful thing for me.

what about china town? lol!

do you live in a big city?

im sure you could find some one to give you private lessons.

go to there house for a few hrs a week, have dinner, do house things, cooking cleaning etc but you can only speak Chinese.

i have lived with several people that did not speak any English, this was about the most helpful thing for me.

Problem with Chinese is that there are so many dialects. If you go to China town or a restaurant, etc. there is a good chance they won't speak Mandarin or they will speak it poorly.

China is still developing and education is shit in many places.

Problem with Chinese is that there are so many dialects. If you go to China town or a restaurant, etc. there is a good chance they won't speak Mandarin or they will speak it poorly.

well, every country that speaks Spanish speaks basically entirely different Spanish, half the time people from different countries don't even understand each other!

forget about slang.

i have friends from the UK, in regular conversation i need English to English translations! lol

then you have regional changes and such.

i don't think Chinese is unique. like i said, go live where you want to learn the language, next best thing is native speaker teaching you, but emersion.

Mike, is there any one language amongst the chinese that is more common than others? What would an asian in america be most likely to speak (besides english).

Also after reading more about Mandarin, Im beginning to think maybe I should try learning Japanese instead. Their culture seems more fitting for me anyway.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws