advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Half Calorie Rice? Carb sensitive? This may be great news!

Just depends on the person I suppose... I don't eat many carbs at all normally, but I do enjoy them.. If I can add them and worry a bit less about what they do to me personally then why not use this method over normal rice?

My first thoughts were when cutting, a BB could use this method and not feel as though he's starving him or herself. Dieting in general it seems like a great breakthrough. If cutting carbs to help fat loss you really don't have to alter your diet as much, just the preparation of the rice. Get your carb fix, a fully belly with less negatives... all theoretical but interesting. :)

IMHO it looks like lazy people have again used science to enable being lazy. Portion control and activity levels to burn calories has always been around for as long as the rice probably been for the cultures. Just tell me how a lean fit and healthy chinese or japanese guy who is 98 but dont look day past 55 can walk exercise and be active eating just the centuries old regular rice would now need the high speed high tech rice?

Last edited:
IMHO it looks like lazy people have again used science to enable being lazy. Portion control and activity levels to burn calories has always been around for as long as the rice probably been for the cultures. Just tell me how a lean fit and healthy chinese or japanese guy who is 98 but dont look day past 55 can walk exercise and be active eating just the centuries old regular rice would now need the high speed high tech rice?

Yes, but this is a lifestyle where the portion control in a few days is likely more than what the Old Asian man would eat in a week...

When you eat like that regularly and swap to a cutting diet it affects you mentally, your hunger and energy is altered from eating less than what your body is accustomed to, It's the same as when you go back to a bulk, you have to go back to eating more, feeling like you're stuffing yourself.. This could level all that out. Not to mention allow carb sensitive people (not LAZY) to enjoy carbs a little more often.

Yes, but this is a lifestyle where the portion control in a few days is likely more than what the Old Asian man would eat in a week...

When you eat like that regularly and swap to a cutting diet it affects you mentally, your hunger and energy is altered from eating less than what your body is accustomed to, It's the same as when you go back to a bulk, you have to go back to eating more, feeling like you're stuffing yourself.. This could level all that out. Not to mention allow carb sensitive people (not LAZY) to enjoy carbs a little more often.

Nothing personal man but its called mental fortitude... most things in life and I mean probably like 90% give or take are psychological... I am not saying someone wont be effected by the change but something called stress inoculation conditioning will help... you adapt your mental state to compensate for your psychical shock that is occurring until things "balance out"... there is a reason why the saying "mind over matter so if it dont mind, it dont matter" is a saying.. an OLD saying at that...

Frankly, I am proud to be an American and am grateful for the rights I am privileged to have but I am realistic and keep a perspective on things to not take anything for granted either. America is a baby culture when compared to other cultures of the world that have preexisted for thousands of years... self discipline for the other cultures usually just comes easier, like second nature almost, cuz its been instilled over dozens of generations... Americans unfortunately cant say the same do the cultures existence being a fraction of the age.. that also explains why Americans get a bad wrap in general by most other cultures in the world who have roots that span back way before the idea of our culture even existed...

My take is, if you arent mentally prepared to endure all that cutting and dieting involves then its best to not jump head first and more so take it one step at a time in the shallow end until your up to the task... and I think that concept can practically apply to everything that may be physically taxing on a person...

why not just eat less rice...?

Damn beat me to it. I was simply going to say...when I want half calorie rice, I just consume half the rice. LOL

Yeah for Science!

I would think most here would be happy about this. :confused:

I don't get why people live in the past.
If there is an easier, better, smarter option to doing something you do it. You don't say it's lazy.
I'm going to use this because I like to eat, and if I can have more with the same calories I'm going to.

If you want to suffer smaller portion sizes because your ego says it's not showing dedication and the new way is lazy, then good for you.

If there is an easier, better, smarter option to doing something you do it. You don't say it's lazy.
I'm going to use this because I like to eat, and if I can have more with the same calories I'm going to.

If you want to suffer smaller portion sizes because your ego says it's not showing dedication and the new way is lazy, then good for you.

Exactly. Works smarter, not harder theory.

I juat dont agree with mans reckless arrogance always trying to play god over nature. Man is really just a guest of nature and for always trying to roll the dice to alter things i think it can be dangerous and man may do something someday that offsets natures balance which will have irreversible consequences on mans existence.

Man already has a footprint by engineering crops and animal livestock to grow quicker and bigger and be resistant to bugs or disease and we've been lucky so far.. but like the foot and mouth disease wave years ago that put a huge dent in meat industry for a bit or now things like MRSA becoming more rampant... or the common e.coli bacteria occasionally having a sweeping outbreak from lax sanitary practices to now measles making a come back since the vaccine was stopped many years ago cuz we thot we had it under control but obviously not... so sometimes its best to not reinvent the wheel and just appreciate what you already have..

This is a good thing. Why work harder when you can work smarter? I'd love to be able to eat a little more rice and not incur more calories when I'm dieting.

If it's digestion-resistant starches, it's going to be satiating and help keep me feel full too.

Call me a pussy, say I have no fortitude, whatever. I'll be laughing at you during contest prep. when I'm eating 50% more rice than you!

This is a good thing. Why work harder when you can work smarter? I'd love to be able to eat a little more rice and not incur more calories when I'm dieting.

If it's digestion-resistant starches, it's going to be satiating and help keep me feel full too.

Call me a pussy, say I have no fortitude, whatever. I'll be laughing at you during contest prep. when I'm eating 50% more rice than you!

If it beats the hunger signals and prevents slip ups in diet in the later stages when your really hungry it can only be a good thing in my eyes. Why diet hard when you can diet smart? Will be interesting to hear real feed back on this from pre contest body builders. I realy enjoy eating rice so could be interesting

I juat dont agree with mans reckless arrogance always trying to play god over nature. Man is really just a guest of nature and for always trying to roll the dice to alter things i think it can be dangerous and man may do something someday that offsets natures balance which will have irreversible consequences on mans existence.

Man already has a footprint by engineering crops and animal livestock to grow quicker and bigger and be resistant to bugs or disease and we've been lucky so far.. but like the foot and mouth disease wave years ago that put a huge dent in meat industry for a bit or now things like MRSA becoming more rampant... or the common e.coli bacteria occasionally having a sweeping outbreak from lax sanitary practices to now measles making a come back since the vaccine was stopped many years ago cuz we thot we had it under control but obviously not... so sometimes its best to not reinvent the wheel and just appreciate what you already have..

This i agree with but when where talking about cooking rice in one of the healthiest fats you can buy and putting it in the fridge which you've got to do any way at some point I don't really see it as playing with nature. Just combing some good natural foods realy

if you pulled this rant and left it on it's own and asked people to read it and guess what the topic was that inspired it you would never guess it was about boiling regular old rice and putting it in the fridge after. Fuckin science.

Well correct me if im wrong but i thot the study/article read they were able to eng8neer one of the 30+ varieties of rice to allow for the alteration.. hence why i say what i say
This i agree with but when where talking about cooking rice in one of the healthiest fats you can buy and putting it in the fridge which you've got to do any way at some point I don't really see it as playing with nature. Just combing some good natural foods realy

if you pulled this rant and left it on it's own and asked people to read it and guess what the topic was that inspired it you would never guess it was about boiling regular old rice and putting it in the fridge after. Fuckin science.
Ya after paying more attn i noticed it is reg rice and not bioengineered... should have better read the article.. my bad, I'll own it.

So far they have only measured the chemical outcome of the most effective cooking method for the least healthful of the 38 varieties. But that variety still produced a 10 to 12 percent reduction in calories. "With the better kind, we expect to reduce the calories by as much as 50 to 60 percent," said James.

Last edited:
Ya after paying more attn i noticed it is reg rice and not bioengineered... should have better read the article.. my bad, I'll own it.

Haha, I had to re read after your last post as I thought I had miss read it. I thought damn this guy seems mad about putting rice in the fridge:eek:

Thanks for the link Scotty..!

This is great news I am going to try this right now -cook some rice with the coconut oil and let it cool -for tomorrow's feedings.

I love medium grain rice but it always seemed like a simple sugar to my body- and almost always made it part of my powo meal but as I gotten older -gotta really watch those carbs closely.

To rehash the article:

The team experimented with 38 kinds of rice to see if they can alter the composition that can trick the body to absorb fewer calories. Rice is made up of digestible and resistant starch. Unlike digestible starch, resistant starch is not broken down into glucose and simple sugars and absorbed into the bloodstream.

Thus, the researchers reasoned that if they could transform digestible starch into resistant starch, it could lower the amount of calories absorbed by the body from rice.

"We discovered that increasing rice resistant starch (RS) concentrations was a novel way to approach the problem," James added.

They suggest a simple way to achieve this - add a little fat, and then let it cool. According to their research, adding a teaspoon of coconut oil while cooking and refrigerating it for 12 hours after it is cooked reduces the number of calories absorbed by the body.

To prove this, they added a teaspoon of coconut oil to boiling water. Then, they added a half a cup of rice. They simmered this for 40 minutes, but one could boil it for 20-25 minutes instead, the researchers noted. Then, they refrigerated it for 12 hours. This procedure increased the resistant starch by 10 times for traditional, non-fortified rice. By using a specific heating and cooking regimen, the scientists concluded that "if the best rice variety is processed, it might reduce the calories by about 50-60 percent".

Why does it work? It works because coconut oil enters the starch granules during the cooking process and changes their architecture. It acts as a barrier against the digestive enzymes. Cooling is important because it releases amylose, the soluble part of starch. During the cooling process, amylose molecules arrange themselves into tight hydrogen bonds around the grains which make it more resistant to digestion.

They further noted that reheating the rice did not alter the benefits, so it works with leftovers too. These findings were presented at the 249th National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society (ACS) in Denver. The team plans to work on exploring whether other oils can have the same effect.

Rice time! Now if I could get this article to my favorite sushi place I'd be goolden. :)

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner