advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tight shoulders while benching with no previous shoulder problems?

NoVaDriver

Registered
Anyone else have this issue? I'm just now past the 300 mark and have started doing 315 for reps, but over the last few weeks... Holy crap. I feel like I'm about to tear something when the bar is on my chest, more so on my (non-dominant) left side.

Any advice? Stretching is obvious, but I'm interested in knowing if this started because I'm entering the big leagues in terms of bench press.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

start training your rotators, teres etc. as they can often be the weak link.

Let's see a video. Could be a host of things.

More than likely its scare tissue. You can develop scar tissue with no previous injuries or previous pain.

here's some advice.
quit bench pressing.
unless u wanna end up like me and so many other guys in our 40's with fucked up shoulders and rotator cuff tendons.
at that point you'll have no choice but to stop.
unless ur not talkin bout flat bench. i found decline and incline work best.
if ur doing those and are having issues, well....
ego aint good for longevity ive found.

Had similar problems with this in the past, I would recommend the following.

Use dumbbells from know on until you have the issue resolved. Practice using lighter weight for full rom and stretching the pec and shoulders - I'm talking 10lb dumbbells on a slight incline bench.

Get some deep tissue work done on the shoulders, pecs, rear delts etc by someone who has worked with bbers in the past.

Obviously if you are having any serious discomfort currently I would stop doing anything that is remotely sore of uncomfortable. A few weeks or a month of not training chest is better than months out of the gym if you tear something.

Rest, stretching and massage are the way to go.

Warm your shoulders up before you bench. Also, do lots of band pull-aparts to strengthen your scapula stabilizers. Band pull-aparts are probably the greatest rehab exercise on the planet for the shoulder girdle! And not nearly enough people do them. In addition to that make sure you're stretching your pec and biceps, a lot of anterior shoulder pain/tightness stems from the biceps muscle and tendon.

Thanks for all y'all's input.

I think I'm going to cut bench out for about a month, do a little shoulder work before dumbbell press, and concentrate on ROM over heavy weight for a bit. I'm an MBA student, so deep tissue work is not really in the budget. (Due to freak accidents left and right, I've spent almost $10k on medical bills AFTER insurance since I started class in August 2013. None of the issues were from weightlifting, apart from when I broke my foot after a 100-pound dumbbell rolled off the bench I was using. My classmates call me Job.)

I'm also headed to Houston tomorrow to get my bone spur issue checked out. The guy is also a shoulder expert. I'll get his take on this, too.

welcome to bench press, this is why most of us don't do it anymore, bad exercise, not functional, the body isn't made to work this way

welcome to bench press, this is why most of us don't do it anymore, bad exercise, not functional, the body isn't made to work this way

Kal what are your preferred chest exercises?

In my opinion you can build the best chest you can possibly achieve with just Declines and dips. You can throw in incline if you choose but decline and dips are king for chest.

It's scar tissue and adhesion's, I use to get the tightness as well in my delts and pec minor. Started getting graston and active release therapy done and it fixed it. cable flys will build a mean chest and incline as well but flat bench is always fun. fyi, dips are very poor for chest activation. If you're in the south part of Houston near sugar Land I can recommend 2 doctors but be warned you are looking at paying close to $200 for a 1hour session uninsured.

it could be form.. if you flare your elbows out it puts greater strain on your shoulders. Mike O'Hearn has some vids that show where he tucks his elbows in more when he benches. But that is just on thing it could be.
Muscles and tendons could be fatigued and need time off also

Did you make any changes to your drug or training protocol? When I'm running just test I don't have any issues. But on stuff like mast, tren, mainly drier stuff, I start to develop problems with my shoulders. Its not just in the joints, but it feels like I might tear a muscle.

Kal what are your preferred chest exercises?

Slight angle declines (functional, like a pushup) and incline dumbbell press (functional like pushing against a wall) are my staples, flat flies feel natural to me as well.

Pushing perpendicular to your body just isn't functional is my theory on why flat bench sucks for a lot of people.

Flat bench sucks for a lot of people because they don't know how to correctly flat bench. But I'll agree it's not the most natural and functional movement. Sure there's still the chance for shoulder injuries, regardless, but I see a lot of shoulder issues in people that imo were completely preventable.

Not sure how anyone can be giving him constructive advice without watching him bench. There could be some glaringly obvious issues going on. We don't know with the info presented.

Last edited:
It's scar tissue and adhesion's, I use to get the tightness as well in my delts and pec minor. Started getting graston and active release therapy done and it fixed it. cable flys will build a mean chest and incline as well but flat bench is always fun. fyi, dips are very poor for chest activation. If you're in the south part of Houston near sugar Land I can recommend 2 doctors but be warned you are looking at paying close to $200 for a 1hour session uninsured.

I'll gladly take their names. I've got insurance. I'm wayyyyy too goddamn clumsy to not have it lol.

I have no problem videotaping myself bench for y'all. I'll do that today. I'll wear a bandana across my face and look like a Wild West bandit but it'll work lol.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner