over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

ulnar nerve help

spartan995

Banned
My right ulnar nerve has been flaring up pretty bad the past few weeks. I have been having my physical therapist work on loosening up my hands, forearms, bicep, etc. It has relieved some pain, but it still bothers me greatly. I have issues every night trying to sleep. I wake up throughout the night with it throbbing on my hand going numb. If I am on my computer, using my mouse, I have about 5-8 seconds before it starts bugging me.

Any suggestions on how to get some relief? Ibuprofen doesn't do shit either..

How do you know it's the ulnar nerve? Both ulnar and median innervate the hand. From memory...the ulnar nerve innervates digits 5, and 1/2 of 4. Median innervates digits 1,2,3, the rest of 4. The back of the hand is mostly the radial nerve, but digits 5, and 4 are ulnar. Finger tips are median.

Have you injured yourself recently? Hurt your neck? Elbow?

I don't know why your PT is working on your hand and forearm. I'd start at the origin of the ulnar/median nerve, which is your brachial plexus(C5-T1). See a chiropractor.

Last edited:
My pt suggested it was the ulnar nerve. I have yet to go to a chiro that actually did something for me..usually it is just a waste of my money..

Where is the pain exactly for you to say its the ulnar nerve? If its through the elbow joint where the 'funny bone' is (which is the nerve running through the cubital tunnel) then yes thats the ulnar nerve. I have had cubital tunnel syndrome which is an inflammation of the ulnar nerve for some time now, heavy benching and tricep extension movements like lying skull crushers are what triggers it.

I've found the following things have helped me:
1 - Lots of tricep stretching especially the long head of the tricep. When this gets bound up too much and the ligaments and tendons in the tricep are really taught, that's when the CTS tends to fire off.
2 - Scalenes: in the neck of all places i've found that these two muscles (front of neck about an inch and a half out from your cleft under the Adams Apple) get bound up and tight (and if you deadlift and squat heavy they do) then the elbow also fires off. Releasing these through ART or trigger point therapy can work wonders too.
3 - Getting deep tissue on abdominal cavity especially through obliques/intercostals etc. A bit esoteric but my musculo skeletal therapist has found a strong link between releasing mid section and the release of shoulder, pec and even upper leg issues.
4 - Rolling out tricep fascia - I get some PVC pipe and put it on the kitchen bench, I then bend my elbow and place palm of hand on forehead so its in stretch position. I then roll slowly through the space between the "horseshoe" of the tricep and the elbow, including the outer head of the triceps. I roll right around to the underside of the bicep and back again. I press deliberately hard down on the pipe to get good pressure.
5 - Anti inflammatory gel and tubular pressure bandaging: I do this before I press anything at training. Not always 100% but at least allows for some good movement.
6 - Nerve flossing: osteo thing, google that one mate it'll be easier than me trying to explain it.
7 - Stretching bicep tendons (youtube has some good videos on this) but if you've ever done the DC stretching its the palms down one and versions of it while holding a Barbell around shoulder height etc.
8 - Rolling out extensors in forearm. Same as tricep rolling but from the crook of the elbow where the 'blood test vein' is and through the meaty part of the forearm. I go right up to the elbow bones on that one too.

Its shit and can stick around for a while but if you get consistent with the above things I'm hopeful it'll help you too ...

Out.

Where is the pain exactly for you to say its the ulnar nerve? If its through the elbow joint where the 'funny bone' is (which is the nerve running through the cubital tunnel) then yes thats the ulnar nerve. I have had cubital tunnel syndrome which is an inflammation of the ulnar nerve for some time now, heavy benching and tricep extension movements like lying skull crushers are what triggers it.

I've found the following things have helped me:
1 - Lots of tricep stretching especially the long head of the tricep. When this gets bound up too much and the ligaments and tendons in the tricep are really taught, that's when the CTS tends to fire off.
2 - Scalenes: in the neck of all places i've found that these two muscles (front of neck about an inch and a half out from your cleft under the Adams Apple) get bound up and tight (and if you deadlift and squat heavy they do) then the elbow also fires off. Releasing these through ART or trigger point therapy can work wonders too.
3 - Getting deep tissue on abdominal cavity especially through obliques/intercostals etc. A bit esoteric but my musculo skeletal therapist has found a strong link between releasing mid section and the release of shoulder, pec and even upper leg issues.
4 - Rolling out tricep fascia - I get some PVC pipe and put it on the kitchen bench, I then bend my elbow and place palm of hand on forehead so its in stretch position. I then roll slowly through the space between the "horseshoe" of the tricep and the elbow, including the outer head of the triceps. I roll right around to the underside of the bicep and back again. I press deliberately hard down on the pipe to get good pressure.
5 - Anti inflammatory gel and tubular pressure bandaging: I do this before I press anything at training. Not always 100% but at least allows for some good movement.
6 - Nerve flossing: osteo thing, google that one mate it'll be easier than me trying to explain it.
7 - Stretching bicep tendons (youtube has some good videos on this) but if you've ever done the DC stretching its the palms down one and versions of it while holding a Barbell around shoulder height etc.
8 - Rolling out extensors in forearm. Same as tricep rolling but from the crook of the elbow where the 'blood test vein' is and through the meaty part of the forearm. I go right up to the elbow bones on that one too.

Its shit and can stick around for a while but if you get consistent with the above things I'm hopeful it'll help you too ...

Out.

dude, you're amazing! thank you! I was wondering how to explain where it is bugging me, but that is exactly it. I will give those all aforementioned a try. thank you again!!

Not a problem. I know how much it pisses me off so if I can help someone else then happy days! :headbang:

I had a very similar issue.
First I had bad carpal tunnel in both wrists.
So bad it was waking me up in my sleep.
Had an EMG showed serious nerve impingement with no alternative but surgery.
1 year later pretty similar numbness / pin & needles in pinky and finger next too, no relief - tried everything.
Had another EMG showed severe impingement had to have surgery to relocate U. Nerve.
Surgeon wanted to go thru fat pad but not able to so had to re-locate U. Nerve.
I am not sure but I think years of low dose hgh had something to do with it.
Hopefully the other treatments will help, mine was too severe to reduce the symptoms.
Good luck

I'm a chiro and also have some mild UNE. (Ulnar neuropathy at the elbow). What matt posted with the art and the nerve flossing was great. Try doing the art or mfr near the medial groove of the elbow. Also massage the anconeus mm. For ulnar nerve stretching try doing an (I'm a little teapot stretch ). Pronated hand / 90 degree shoulder abductiion/ full elbow flexion/ full wrist extension. EMG would be helpful to rule out a neck problem at c8-t1. I also recommend benfotiamine (a fat soluble riboflavin). It's helpful for diabetic neuropathy but I've seen it work for my compressive neuropathy patients. Intermittent fasting also reduces inflammation. Best of luck. If you are in northern virginia come in for a visit. Best of luck! My site is www.sterlingchiropractortherapy.com

Me again. I just thought of something. Occasionally cases of TOS can mimic ulnar neuropathy St the elbow

Sorry accidentally hit the send button. TOS types of paresthesia are usually in an ulnar distributuon. I usually order neck xray to check to see if people have an anatomical variant called a cervical rib. Which puts pressure on the brachial plexus. Google Roos test and Edens tests. Good luck. I forgot that this is not medical advice and as always check with your doctor. This goes for my last 2 posts!! Good luck J ww.sterlingchiropractortherapy.com

I'm a chiro and also have some mild UNE. (Ulnar neuropathy at the elbow). What matt posted with the art and the nerve flossing was great. Try doing the art or mfr near the medial groove of the elbow. Also massage the anconeus mm. For ulnar nerve stretching try doing an (I'm a little teapot stretch ). Pronated hand / 90 degree shoulder abductiion/ full elbow flexion/ full wrist extension. EMG would be helpful to rule out a neck problem at c8-t1. I also recommend benfotiamine (a fat soluble riboflavin). It's helpful for diabetic neuropathy but I've seen it work for my compressive neuropathy patients. Intermittent fasting also reduces inflammation. Best of luck. If you are in northern virginia come in for a visit. Best of luck! My site is Chiropractor in Sterling -NOVA Chiropractic & Rehab Center of Sterling 703-444-4446

Hey mate I get some chiro work done here in Aus and in support of what you've written here every time I get my neck adjusted (lying in front and also back high up near occipital area) my neuropathy tends to abate.
I've also helped the nerve flossing by holding and stretching little, fourth and middle fingers in addition to wrist flexion etc as well. Read some research recently that suggested tilted head towards your shoulder instead of away from while doing that movement as well.. Undecided on the comparison so far though.

Awesome. I've been working a lot lately and if I get a good adjustment, keep my nutrition clean and do the neural flossing it stays in the background.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131