Switzerland (Geneva)

Elvia1023

Featured Member / Supp Guru / Board Supporter
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Board Supporter
Verified Customer
Just wondering if anyone on here lives there or has done in the past. I should be moving there in the next 6 weeks. I was there last weekend and my gf lives there so I am aware of the prices etc. I will basically be starting from scratch so will have to find a job, place to live and well everything. I would appreciate any advice you guys have. If anyone wants to offer me a job that would be great too :D I want to start training asap when I get there too so any good gyms you know would be appreciated. Thanks

Isn't that the name of a crappy steroid lab? Lol jk. Sounds like it's a nice place if it's in the Alps. Lots of good skiing I bet

are you only moving there cos of your gf?

havent you had quite a few gf since you have been on this board?

seems a bit risky bro! but good luck!

are you only moving there cos of your gf?

havent you had quite a few gf since you have been on this board?

seems a bit risky bro! but good luck!

No just the two gf's. One for over 4 years and have been with my new gf for just over 5 months. No I think the change will do me good. You only live once and I am not getting any younger so I feel it's a perfect time to try something new. But sure I wouldn't be moving if it wasn't for my gf. The money is another reason as they get paid a fortune over there. But the cost of living reflects that... probably the most expensive city in the world. Not risky at all as if it doesn't work out I will just come back... she would come with me too. Just adding I live in the UK so it's not that far and flights are fairly cheap.

I always stay at the Grand Kempinski right on the lake.
All I have to say about Geneva as a whole - shit customer service and outrageous prices for EVERYTHING! It makes Monaco look like a bargain.

From what I've read isn't Swiss citizenship ver hard to obtain. Wondering if this would effect finding decent work. Have u looked into what kind of jobs would be available to you when you visited?

I'd really like to do something like this someday so I'm interested to hear what happens. Please keep us updated.

From what I've read isn't Swiss citizenship ver hard to obtain. Wondering if this would effect finding decent work. Have u looked into what kind of jobs would be available to you when you visited?

I'd really like to do something like this someday so I'm interested to hear what happens. Please keep us updated.

go somewhere with a good exchange rate! lol

trust me! ;)

much better to have more money and lower cost of living then less and higher!

besides, the third world is supper fun! lol

:star-w:rs

No just the two gf's. One for over 4 years and have been with my new gf for just over 5 months. No I think the change will do me good. You only live once and I am not getting any younger so I feel it's a perfect time to try something new. But sure I wouldn't be moving if it wasn't for my gf. The money is another reason as they get paid a fortune over there. But the cost of living reflects that... probably the most expensive city in the world. Not risky at all as if it doesn't work out I will just come back... she would come with me too. Just adding I live in the UK so it's not that far and flights are fairly cheap.

Only if you are rich or have a good job there. Your taxes might be cheaper, but cost of living is high.

Pros and Cons of Living in Switzerland

All I have to say about Geneva as a whole - shit customer service and outrageous prices for EVERYTHING! It makes Monaco look like a bargain.

Obviously your budget is a lot different than mine but I couldn't agree more. I was looking at the Kempinski. As I don't have a huge budget but wanted a nice room last weekend I would rather book a top room in a nice hotel (but not ridiculously expensive hotel) than a standard room in the likes of the Kempinski (most expensive). The rate you pay for a standard room is silly in there and they don't look that impressive. The money for a lake view is out of my budget. I ended up in a business suite at the Crowne Plaza and she was made up. I was happy with my bathtub in the bedroom and my nespresso machine :D

I was told about the prices but it was still a shock to see everything in the city centre being so expensive. I don't mind paying out but it was more principle especially when simple things are 5-10 times more expensive than where I live now. My gf has told me most shops are fine though and that's just the tourist places so I will be able to eat like I do here for not much more.

I like my fruit and noticed a small punnet of strawberries in the market were 7CHF. I can get 2 punnets for the equivalent of 1.50 CHF where I live. 100 CHF for an 8oz steak in a restaurant... 10-30 CHF where I live :eek:

My gf said it would be fine but I am starting to think she doesn't have a clue :eek: I will have to research things more. My plan is literally just to fly over and see what happens. I have looked online for jobs but none I have seen are suitable. I would be happy doing anything for now. I might try and get a job as a personal trainer. My gf is already asking on my behalf. I was only there for 2 days and hadn't seen her for 1 month so just wanted to do fun things and not look for jobs. I don't speak French so that limits my employment potential to certain areas. I am sure I will sort something out!

Did you buy anything nice when there? I noticed the Patek Philippe shop but that is a little out of my budget... well maybe more than a little :eek:

My fiancé lived there when she was a kid. Her family loved it but said was a bit pricey but they are pretty wealthy. I wish I could offer you something on the place but I don't know much about. I like new places. It's exciting. Stay positive and I'm sure good things will come your way. Keep us posted!!

All the best mate. Ya u r right we only live once so what the hack! like u said nothing outrageous or crazy move . We brits citizen dont need a visa flights are cheap & back door is always open so u can always come back home. Not too far from home. On a positive note as u say wages are great and if u stuck a good job and progress from there life will be great . we are thinking of a move as well .
Our is a little far from home to the australia !!! Daunting and bit nervous . we are also keeping the back door open . me and wife taking carrier breaks from our jobs in UK for 1 year thinking of moving by next April may 2016 . my friend there has his own company providing physio and I am a physio . weather houses all around great news there not what we get here for the money. He is keen to help me etc so this is kind of now and never situation for us . just need to wrap few things here. We keep having second thoughts but trying to put all bits together to make it work. Let's see what happens . U may see me holding a union jack and supporting England when they come to play arch rivals Aussies for the ashes series next timw haha :) all the best maity . Go with your heart and god willing things will work out for u cheers

Good for you mate, change is good man, enjoy it.
Funny enough, I'm holidaying in Switzerland in July, however only Wengen and Zurich.

Best of luck buddy! New beginning are always exciting, are you moving in with your girlfriend? It would be nice if you could look for jobs while not having to worry about the cost of renting a place.

if you really want to work you will find a job. and dont worry about not speaking french - yeah it would be better but in geneva are around 50% foreigners and in the higher business area they speak more english than french anyway.

also you can go shopping in france across the boarder where it is cheaper than in switzerland.

if you really want to work you will find a job. and dont worry about not speaking french - yeah it would be better but in geneva are around 50% foreigners and in the higher business area they speak more english than french anyway.

Agreed. In my interactions, it almost seems that English is the main language there.

Did you buy anything nice when there? I noticed the Patek Philippe shop but that is a little out of my budget... well maybe more than a little :eek:

Never buy them from Switzerland. Everything is too expensive there with no discounts.
I bought most of my Rolex's from the US and same with the Patek. The US has the best deals out of anywhere else in the world. Straight after the GFC, I bought in the US a $135k Patek for only $95k.

I really can't understand how they can justify the prices for everything in Geneva, when Monte Carlo is cheaper!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear