over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is only Leucine important?

pocketboy

Registered
Dear fella,

I've recently read a lot of studies regarding muscle protein synthesis, breakdown, free fatty acid mobilization and oxidation etc.

It is proven by many study that Leucine is the Amino Acid that trigger muscle protein synthesis (and reduce muscle protein breakdown)
It's metabolite HMB is even better at reducing muscle protein breakdown (apparently) but less efficient than Leucine for protein synthesis.

I was shown that supplementing with Leucine at 3.2g would be enough to stimulate protein synthesis.

Would that mean that PWO shake could be just 3.2g of Leucine, or are there other amino Acid or ingredient that come into play?

A study shows that supplementation of leucine or any protein (except from whole food) only exhibit a synthesis up to 2 hours, then, it goes back to baseline and it is not yet sure, how long it needs to stay into baseline for protein synthesis to occur again.

Also, it is shown that Leucine spike insulin, but doesn't interfere with FFA mobilization and oxidation. Therefore, would if someone (like me) use GHRH/GHRP and / or HGH Frag to induce FFA mobilization, would sipping on some BCAA every two hours help with anti catabolism but also boost protein synthesis while fasting?

For this, I would like to ask if the FFA could convert into muscle glycogen if these are depleted?

Dear fella,

I've recently read a lot of studies regarding muscle protein synthesis, breakdown, free fatty acid mobilization and oxidation etc.

It is proven by many study that Leucine is the Amino Acid that trigger muscle protein synthesis (and reduce muscle protein breakdown)
It's metabolite HMB is even better at reducing muscle protein breakdown (apparently) but less efficient than Leucine for protein synthesis.

I was shown that supplementing with Leucine at 3.2g would be enough to stimulate protein synthesis.

Would that mean that PWO shake could be just 3.2g of Leucine, or are there other amino Acid or ingredient that come into play?

A study shows that supplementation of leucine or any protein (except from whole food) only exhibit a synthesis up to 2 hours, then, it goes back to baseline and it is not yet sure, how long it needs to stay into baseline for protein synthesis to occur again.

Also, it is shown that Leucine spike insulin, but doesn't interfere with FFA mobilization and oxidation. Therefore, would if someone (like me) use GHRH/GHRP and / or HGH Frag to induce FFA mobilization, would sipping on some BCAA every two hours help with anti catabolism but also boost protein synthesis while fasting?

For this, I would like to ask if the FFA could convert into muscle glycogen if these are depleted?

Leucine is like the switch to turn on protein syntheseis and mTOR, but you still need an amino acid pool to draw from - hence the intake of EAAs PWO or during leucine supplementation.

In my reads somewhere I read that it should be as follows;
L-Leucine :2
L-Valine :1
L-Isoleucine :1
a 2:1:1 ratio for the best absorption of protein.

Hello Stroker,

This is BCAA.

My question is, if someone. even on calorie restricted, eating normal whole food meals, high in protein (chicken breast, tuna etc), wouldn't that be enough for filling up the EAA pool that the Leucine stimulate?

Whey protein has usually the panenl of EEA. So would add a nice amount of Free Leucine to Whey, and sip it throughout the day (every 2 hours) provide botth the turn on switch and the pool needed as the substrate?

Or do you think it's best to have a 3-4g leucine + EEA tabs each time?

Any idea of the amount the EEA needed per "turned on of the switch"?

I see a lot more 4:1:1 nowadays.....

I see a lot more 4:1:1 nowadays.....

I've seen an 8:1:1 and a 10:1:1. I buy a 3:1:2 from Bulk Supplements and just constantly sip on it. I thing a 10 to 1 ratio is a bit overkill.

Hello Stroker,

This is BCAA.

My question is, if someone. even on calorie restricted, eating normal whole food meals, high in protein (chicken breast, tuna etc), wouldn't that be enough for filling up the EAA pool that the Leucine stimulate?

Whey protein has usually the panenl of EEA. So would add a nice amount of Free Leucine to Whey, and sip it throughout the day (every 2 hours) provide botth the turn on switch and the pool needed as the substrate?

Or do you think it's best to have a 3-4g leucine + EEA tabs each time?

Any idea of the amount the EEA needed per "turned on of the switch"?

I like 5g of 2:1:1 L-Leucine pre w/o and sip complete bcaa during w/o.

Eat your vegetables, i remember my parents calling out. :spam:

But if only Leucine exert any effect, how do we know the isoleucine and valine are just not useless?

But if only Leucine exert any effect, how do we know the isoleucine and valine are just not useless?

No all 3 are important. But you also wants the rest of the aminos in there. Try and get an EAA powder product for before or during training. You want to be having about 5g leucine around training.

I went for the bcaa(2:1:1) 10grams during workout route and sometimes depending I have 2-3grams (heaped 5cc) scoop of Leucine 10mins before or with meal as per suggested research performed on these , primary goal is to boost protein synthesis. I do not however wish to add cyclic dextrin during workout as I fear it may intereefere with the fat burning, even though it will inhibit protein breakdown,feel 10gms bcaa should do the trick

any thoughts? I know it's not peptopro , but could be better than EAA if a good meal was pre wo?

I went for the bcaa(2:1:1) 10grams during workout route and sometimes depending I have 2-3grams (heaped 5cc) scoop of Leucine 10mins before or with meal as per suggested research performed on these , primary goal is to boost protein synthesis. I do not however wish to add cyclic dextrin during workout as I fear it may intereefere with the fat burning, even though it will inhibit protein breakdown,feel 10gms bcaa should do the trick

any thoughts? I know it's not peptopro , but could be better than EAA if a good meal was pre wo?

Splitting hairs over negligible differences. Depending on your size i would include some carbs intra. I use 20-25g intra and same amount post wo.

so many people talk about peptopro with/out bcaa though with some interesting theories, I do want 101% out of what I get anytime as I am doing the wo with max effort and I want max results making sure I am doing it the most optimal way there is.

"how much" better is peptopro?

so many people talk about peptopro with/out bcaa though with some interesting theories, I do want 101% out of what I get anytime as I am doing the wo with max effort and I want max results making sure I am doing it the most optimal way there is.

"how much" better is peptopro?

DC has a great thread on this forum. http://www.professionalmuscle.com/f...um/122999-just-random-stuff-interests-me.html Anyways this is his take on it.

"I think pepto pro is the most overrated overpriced protein powder there is. DSM came in with all this great marketing and science and convinced the masses. And then made a secular product which had a fervor and crushed it. And this is coming from a guy who sells Pepto Pro for the lowest price out there, was the company that introduced Pepto Pro to the bodybuilding community, and to this day still sells mass amounts of pepto pro to people. I draw my opinion on a couple things.
This is fact: There is not a person on this planet that has used more pepto pro than me. I used it for about 3-4 years straight in quanitities that people would go broke on because i got it for free. Im talking large amounts (60 plus grams most of the time multiple times a day). I really wanted to put it to the test and see if it resulted in anything pretty spectacular. Im a creature of habit...i pretty much eat the same things, i train really heavy and progressive and intense, and supplement the same way for long periods of time so when i make a change to my system that is positive or negative....i notice it.
I saw no difference at all between my large pepto pro usage and using either egg white/pea protien isolate mix (which i use today) and whey isolate Postworkout (which i use today)....Nothing, nada, zilch....it was the exact same effects. Definitely not worth 30 dollars a pound, no way in hell.
Two: Ive seen a large number of employees and people locally (including my business partner) who used large amount of pepto pro over lengths of time....and again what happened....they eventually went back to whey isolate and egg white/micellar or egg white/pea protein isolate also.......
I personally feel its grossly overrated and i would much rather see my customers pay their hard earned money on something that is 7-13 dollars a pound than something that is 30 dollars a pound which in my opinion really doesnt do anything more beneficial. Company wise it doesnt matter either way to me...we make about the same margin on both products but personally I have a big problem steering customers to a 30 dollars a pound product that i dont think has the merit to cost 30 dollars a pound at all.

I think EEA/bcaa usage should be use pre intra and maybe post workout but mostly pre and intra....and then maybe pre bed, anytime you cant get a meal or a shake in, and maybe middle of the nite if you got up to urinate...but pre and intra and pre bed is where i see the importance"

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner