advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Why are food proteins better than supplements?

nfernoo

Banned
I've already read several things but what are your guys thoughts.

Guys are replacing with amino acids.
Guys are drinking chicken slim
Guys are swallowing liver pills.
Guys are going through 10 poufs of whey a week.

Been researching this myself. Pasteurized egg whites vs whey powder is my debate.

roast

slime*

pounds*

They're not. Studies show whey to be one of the most superior sources of protein.

Been researching this myself. Pasteurized egg whites vs whey powder is my debate.

roast

In a recent issue of MD, they printed a study comparing egg protein vs whey protein and whey was the winner.

I'd rather eat my food than drink it. I always opt for the whole foods, but whey still has its place for me and I do use it.

I'd rather eat my food than drink it. I always opt for the whole foods, but whey still has its place for me and I do use it.

Food is more filling so it's better in that regard. I'd rather eat food too. It's just not any more effective simply because you have to chew it, however.

Some can't eat as much as they need to.
I know I can't.

I can't eat two pounds of chicken a day. My body say no.

I did liquify the chicken. That was cool.
I had 4lbs of chicken. (Four large shakes) yesterday and was still hungry.
I was very impressed...

If whey is so much better why eat proteins at all?
You rarely see a bodybuilder talking about whey unless it's their sponsor or in their slin protocol.
It's always "eat big"

It also comes down to quality of product as well.
Some company has amazing prices but their whey is garbage.
Americanwhey

Some can't eat as much as they need to.
I know I can't.

If whey is so much better why eat proteins at all?
You rarely see a bodybuilder talking about whey unless it's their sponsor or in their slin protocol.
It's always "eat big"

I'm the same way in periods of my year, sometimes I just can't stomach all that food.

However Dexter Jackson said in one of his videos years ago that he had switched to more liquid meals (shakes) than solid ones and he thought it helped him.

I'm the same way in periods of my year, sometimes I just can't stomach all that food.

However Dexter Jackson said in one of his videos years ago that he had switched to more liquid meals (shakes) than solid ones and he thought it helped him.

He could a meant liquid chicken?

And yeah he hates eating as much as one has to.

Whole foods

-you know what your getting
-key micronutrients
-time released-- I would think higher nitrogen retention
-thermogenic effects of digesting proteins and satiety if dieting

It all boils down to Net Nitrogen Utilization. That basically tells you how much of the protein is actually utilized and how much is waste. Solid food protein sources yield 32% NNU, while powdered proteins yield anywhere from 16-18% NNU. 20 grams of solid food protein is about the same as 38 grams of whey protein as far as NNU is concerned.

Does this make much of a difference? Who knows. Once again, overthinking it. If you can't get your protein requirements from solid food, I don't really see why whey or egg or casein protein can't be used. It's not as efficient in the body, but it might be much more efficient for your schedule.

Some people get it in their head that powdered protein supplements are superior to solid food sources. That's simply not the case. They are there to "supplement" your solid food intake.

Protein is protein... Why do some people insist on making things harder then they have to be. Whey IS FOOD. Its a byproduct of making cheese... That's all it is.

Btw I highly doubt anyone is using 10 lbs of whey a week...

Last edited:
It all boils down to Net Nitrogen Utilization. That basically tells you how much of the protein is actually utilized and how much is waste. Solid food protein sources yield 32% NNU, while powdered proteins yield anywhere from 16-18% NNU. 20 grams of solid food protein is about the same as 38 grams of whey protein as far as NNU is concerned.

Does this make much of a difference? Who knows. Once again, overthinking it. If you can't get your protein requirements from solid food, I don't really see why whey or egg or casein protein can't be used. It's not as efficient in the body, but it might be much more efficient for your schedule.

Some people get it in their head that powdered protein supplements are superior to solid food sources. That's simply not the case. They are there to "supplement" your solid food intake.

Wow man. Awesome.

I think I read somewhere that our bodies are designed to use whole food sources not powders. I can't remember how they phrased.

I also read the following:

If you browse the online bodybuilding forums or read articles from your typical run-of-the-mill “guru”, this is the standard piece of advice you’ll get on the issue of whey protein vs. whole foods.

You’ll be told that whey protein is fine to use as a supplement, but that whole food proteins are somehow superior and will produce better results when it comes to muscle gain, fat loss and overall health.

The problem is that… well… this is complete and total nonsense.

Whey Protein Vs. Whole Foods: The Reality

The fundamental error in this debate is that there’s no reason to separate whey protein and whole foods into two categories to begin with.

In reality, they’re the same thing.

Whey protein is a natural dairy derivative that is isolated during the process of turning milk into cheese. It’s “food” in the same way that steak, chicken and eggs are food.

In fact, about 20% of the protein content in the milk that you drink is derived from whey.

This is why people should stop viewing whey as a “supplement” and instead view it as one component of their whole food diet in the same way they view any other protein source.

The whole idea of “whey protein vs. whole foods” makes no sense to begin with.

It’s all food. Fish, cottage cheese, whey powder. Food, food, food.

Not only that, but those who tell you that “traditional” bodybuilding whole foods like chicken or steak are superior to whey protein are actually wrong – quite the opposite is true.

Now that we’ve established that whey protein and whole foods are actually the same thing, all we have to do is compare them objectively to see how whey stacks up…

1) Bio-Availability

Whey has the highest bio-availability of any protein available, meaning that your body will absorb and utilize the highest percentage of the total protein content in comparison to any other source.

2) Amino Acid Profile

Whey protein delivers the highest concentration of the most valuable amino acids involved in supporting muscle recovery and growth. (l-leucine, l-valine and l-isoleucine)

3) Carb/Fat Content

Whey delivers the most isolated source of protein possible, with the highest quality whey isolates providing zero fat and only 1 gram of carbs per serving.

4) Convenience

Because of its powdered form, whey is easily the most convenient source of protein out there. It can be used to mix up a quick liquid shake, sprinkled on top of your oatmeal/yogurt/cereal or used to make a variety of quick and easy recipes.

In addition to the above benefits, whey protein also improves immune system health (by raising glutathione levels), regulates appetite, increases serotonin production (which regulates mood/anxiety) and has direct fat burning properties as well.

Whey Protein Vs. Whole Foods: Wrapping It Up

As you can see, not only is whey protein a “whole food” just like any other; it’s actually the highest quality source you can possibly consume.

As they used to say in Italy in the 1600’s, “Chi vuol viver sano e lesto beve scotta e cena presto”… which translates to, “If you want to live a healthy and active life, drink whey and dine early.”

Don’t fall into the trap of viewing whey as some sort of separate “supplement”. Instead, incorporate it into your overall diet in the same way you would any other food source

Protein is protein... Why do some people insist on making things harder then they have to be. Whey IS FOOD. Its a byproduct of making cheese... That's all it is.

Btw I highly doubt anyone is using 10 lbs of whey a week...

It was an exaggerated amount. Chill out.
But yes. That is what I read

I wanna find this video

They're not. Studies show whey to be one of the most superior sources of protein.

In a recent issue of MD, they printed a study comparing egg protein vs whey protein and whey was the winner.

Wonder what supplement company sponsored that study?

I would have to go with whole foods. They are organic to the human body (not including processed foods here just the basic bbding foods).

Someone mentioned MD did research/study or whatever, I wouldnt trust a magazine's opinion since they make most of their income from supp companies, mostly protein powder adds. Plus MD lately has been the most biased place on the internet.

Not saying that whey has no place but if i have the choice and time to choose between a chicken breast or a protein shake, ill go with the chicken.

My .02c

first part may be right (appreciate the information, i didnt know these exact numbers), BUT, the second part is not correct - it doesnt work that way.

whey leads to a lower net nitrogen utilization simply because it is absorbed so fast that your body cant use all the protein for building muscle tissue and some of it gets converted into glycogen or burned off.
solid food takes much more time to digest and the amino acids get released slower, therefore more of it is utilized.
BUT this is not everything that counts. there are many more factors that come into play here:

there are also studies on whey vs casein and while casein yields a MUCH HIGHER NNU, it is still inferior to whey protein in terms of building muscle.

why? because protein synthesis is stimulated by a spike in leucine levels in your blood.
casein does not cause as much of a spike, but rather a very prolonged elevation. you NEED the SPIKE though to achieve maximum protein synthesis. whey does this. casein does not. whole food? who knows, probably a middle way between the two.

i think its best to combine "fast" and "slow" protein in every meal to achieve best results. whey PLUS casein has been shown to be the most superior combination here.
but in reality, who does that.
just eat enough protein with every meal and thats it. doesnt matter if its from food or whey or whatever powder.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws