over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Need Some Serious Advice On Increasing My Lifts

NickEdge779

Newbies
I am very confused about my strength and mass gaining progression.

I started lifting 3 years ago at 5 ft 8 135 lbs.

My stats on my very first few weeks in the gym were probably:

Squat 115x5
Bench 95x5
Deadlift 115x5

Within 6 months, I had gotten my lifts up to:

Squat 225x5
Bench 135x5
Deadlift 245x5

at about 145 lbs bodyweight. I was only 17 years old.

Now, 3 years later, I am 170 lbs, have much more muscle, yet my lifts have all decreased and I am fatigued after squatting 145 for reps. I'm basically squatting the same weight correlated to my bodyweight as what I did when I was completely untrained and had never even been to a gym before at 135 lbs, yet my legs are much bigger now.

Squat 145x8-12
Bench 145x8-12
Deadlift - Idk, haven't deadlifted in a year

It makes literally ZERO sense. My strength has decreased dramatically, yet I'm way more muscular than when I was a pure newbie. I train the exact same way for the most part too. Maybe I have a medical issue or low testosterone?

Last edited:
If you want to get strong stop doing reps! On your core lifts do 5 reps or less. I can almost assure you your strength will increase if you do that.

Getting bigger and stronger do go somewhat hand in hand; but your CNS is what really makes you strong!

What does your diet look like?

Bottom line we need more information. What kind of training split are you doing, what does your diet look like etc.. Are you training for strength specifically, or do you do you just use it as a metric to keep track of your progress? I have a background in powerlifting so with a little more information I may be able to give you some advice.

What does your diet look like?

This!!! The only reason your lifts will continue to increase is if your body has enough calories, and protein to work with.

Assuming training intensity is high, the biggest reason people stall is diet.

Try some German volume training, its a great way to increase your max lifts and break through a barrier

Change your diets and take some supplements.
:headbang:

Don't take this the wrong way, but those lifts are absolutely pathetic for someone who has been lifting consistently for 3 at 20 years of age. I am not doubting your resolve, dedication, or even training intensity, as I know nothing about you in those areas, but what I am saying is that (medical issues aside) there is something MAJORLY wrong with your program, as even someone with the worst genetics should be squatting and bench pressing much more than that after 3 years of consistent training.

Like several others have said, it is impossible to tell you why you stopped gaining strength without knowing a whole hell of a lot more about you. We know nothing about your metabolism, diet, training program, etc. Whenever I see someone in your situation, the extreme lack of progress is almost always due to ignorance regarding the basic principles that govern muscle growth--namely diet and/or training. While I have seen many people with poor training programs, horribly inadequate diets are even more common.

If I had to guess, it sounds like you need significant coaching in multiple areas--and that you should invest in a coach, even if just too instruct you on the basic principles mentioned above. There are certain things that must happen in any training program in order to accumulate muscle tissue, and if they aren't, it doesn't matter how meticulous you are in any other area--you will fail, horribly.

While there is much ti learn in the areas of training and diet, here are the most basic principles require for growth.

Diet: You must eat above maintenance--meaning a caloric surplus. Find your caloric baseline (the calorie amount at which you maintain your bodyweight) and add 500 calories to it per day--every day. You can make adjustments from there as needed. Not essential like the above, but still of great importance if you want to gain muscle at an acceptable rate, is to eat enough protein. 1 gram per pound of bodyweight is fine. The rest of your diet should be comprised of carbs and fat in a ratio ideally suited to your metabolism, but you will learn that as you go. For now, eat above maintenance and consume adequate protein--every day. As for carbs & fat, try to consume the majority of them from healthy sources, according to your own understanding. Split your daily calories fairly equally into at least 4 different meals, while also splitting your daily protein intake fairly equally among those meals.

Training: Progressive resistance should be your guiding light. In other words, you want to get stronger within the hypertrophy rep range, which for you, should mostly fall in the 6-10 rep range for upper-body and 8-12 for legs. Of course, many people travel outside of those ranges, but they will suit you well for now. In terms of program set-up, there is no one program that is the best. There are also many different training styles and specific programs that have produced great results for many people. Some good ones are DC Training (dog-crap), Mountain-Dog (John Meadows), and Fortitude Training (Scott Stevenson), but there are only a few. More traditional programs have also worked great for huge numbers of people. All effective programs have one thing in common--they properly balance training with recovery. This is a very broad subject, so unless you understand how to do this (my guess is you probably don't, at least not very well), I would select a "pre-made" program from someone who does.

Sleep: Try to get at least 8 "uninterrupted" hours per night, if possible. Sound sleep (which means completing an optimal number of sleep cycles) is an important factor in optimizing muscle growth. If you have trouble sleeping--fix it.

If you do the things above, you are virtually guaranteed to make both size and strength gains. You are not ready for steroids, but if you want to take a supplement that will give you a noticeable boost, use creatine. Plain ole' creatine monohydrate works great. It helps stimulate growth through multiple direct and indirect mechanisms and it's price is so reasonable ($5-7/month) that everyone who is serious about muscle and strength gains should be using it.

I realize this is all very basic information, but these three things (training, diet, and rest) make up the foundation on which any successful program is built. Without adhering to these basic tenets, you will go nowhere fast.

Don't take this the wrong way, but those lifts are absolutely pathetic for someone who has been lifting consistently for 3 at 20 years of age. I am not doubting your resolve, dedication, or even training intensity, as I know nothing about you in those areas, but what I am saying is that (medical issues aside) there is something MAJORLY wrong with your program, as even someone with the worst genetics should be squatting and bench pressing much more than that after 3 years of consistent training.

Like several others have said, it is impossible to tell you why you stopped gaining strength without knowing a whole hell of a lot more about you. We know nothing about your metabolism, diet, training program, etc. Whenever I see someone in your situation, the extreme lack of progress is almost always due to ignorance regarding the basic principles that govern muscle growth--namely diet and/or training. While I have seen many people with poor training programs, horribly inadequate diets are even more common.

If I had to guess, it sounds like you need significant coaching in multiple areas--and that you should invest in a coach, even if just too instruct you on the basic principles mentioned above. There are certain things that must happen in any training program in order to accumulate muscle tissue, and if they aren't, it doesn't matter how meticulous you are in any other area--you will fail, horribly.

While there is much ti learn in the areas of training and diet, here are the most basic principles require for growth.

Diet: You must eat above maintenance--meaning a caloric surplus. Find your caloric baseline (the calorie amount at which you maintain your bodyweight) and add 500 calories to it per day--every day. You can make adjustments from there as needed. Not essential like the above, but still of great importance if you want to gain muscle at an acceptable rate, is to eat enough protein. 1 gram per pound of bodyweight is fine. The rest of your diet should be comprised of carbs and fat in a ratio ideally suited to your metabolism, but you will learn that as you go. For now, eat above maintenance and consume adequate protein--every day. As for carbs & fat, try to consume the majority of them from healthy sources, according to your own understanding. Split your daily calories fairly equally into at least 4 different meals, while also splitting your daily protein intake fairly equally among those meals.

Training: Progressive resistance should be your guiding light. In other words, you want to get stronger within the hypertrophy rep range, which for you, should mostly fall in the 6-10 rep range for upper-body and 8-12 for legs. Of course, many people travel outside of those ranges, but they will suit you well for now. In terms of program set-up, there is no one program that is the best. There are also many different training styles and specific programs that have produced great results for many people. Some good ones are DC Training (dog-crap), Mountain-Dog (John Meadows), and Fortitude Training (Scott Stevenson), but there are only a few. More traditional programs have also worked great for huge numbers of people. All effective programs have one thing in common--they properly balance training with recovery. This is a very broad subject, so unless you understand how to do this (my guess is you probably don't, at least not very well), I would select a "pre-made" program from someone who does.

Sleep: Try to get at least 8 "uninterrupted" hours per night, if possible. Sound sleep (which means completing an optimal number of sleep cycles) is an important factor in optimizing muscle growth. If you have trouble sleeping--fix it.

If you do the things above, you are virtually guaranteed to make both size and strength gains. You are not ready for steroids, but if you want to take a supplement that will give you a noticeable boost, use creatine. Plain ole' creatine monohydrate works great. It helps stimulate growth through multiple direct and indirect mechanisms and it's price is so reasonable ($5-7/month) that everyone who is serious about muscle and strength gains should be using it.

I realize this is all very basic information, but these three things (training, diet, and rest) make up the foundation on which any successful program is built. Without adhering to these basic tenets, you will go nowhere fast.

Hey Mike, thanks for the feedback. I didn't list enough information, but I assure you that my sleep and diet are in check. How else did I go from 135 lbs to 170 with maintaining the same bodyfat? My training might be wrong however, and that's why I believe that my strength has decreased dramatically despite gaining muscle. Here is my main problem. I literally cannot progress on my lifts at all, and they actually decrease overtime. My bench press literally never progresses, and my endurance doing squats will never increase, I am absolutely exhausted after 12 reps of squats at 145 lbs. I try to always stay within 8-12 reps for 3 sets. And if I can get 12 reps for all 3 sets, I move up the weight. The problem is, I can never get 12 reps for all 3 sets, week after week after week. I always get like 12, 10, 8, then the next week I'll get like 12, 9, 8 on the same exercise with the same weight, then the week after like 12, 9, 9 and this repeats for months, never increasing the amount of reps I can do to reach 12 for all 3 sets. And I always reach failure on the last 2 sets before reaching 12 reps.

My routine is:

Monday - Chest/Tri's-

Bench 3x8-12
Hammer strength Decline Press 3x8-12
Cable Flyes 3x10-15
Pushdowns 3x8-12
Skullcrushers 3x8-12

Tuesday - OFF

Wednesday - Back/Abs -

Lat Pulldown 3x8-12
Barbell Row 3x8-12
Hammer Strength Row 3x8-12
Shrugs 2x8-12
Decline situps 3x10-15
Weighted planks 2 sets to failure

Thursday - OFF

Friday- Shoulders/Biceps -

DB Shoulder Press 3x8-12
DB Side laterals 3x8-12
Machine side laterals 2x8-12
Rear Flyes 3x10-15
Barbell Curl 3x8-12
Machine preacher curl 2x8-12

Saturday - Legs/Calves

Squat 3x8-12
Leg Press 3x8-12
Leg Extension 2x8-12
Lying leg curl 3x8-12
Seated Leg curl 3x8-12
Calve Raises 3x20-30

Sunday - OFF

My diet as per yesterday's myfitnesspal:

Breakfast -
4 eggs w/ 1 slice american cheese
1 banana

Lunch -
9 oz ground beef
1.75 cups jasmine rice
12 oz gatorade
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Dinner -

9 oz chicken breast
2 cups jasmine rice
12 oz gatorade

Before bed snack -
20 oz whole milk
1 scoop whey protein
1 banana
2 tbsp peanut butter

As I said, I think my training is just not working anymore, as my lifts have been stagnant on EVERY single exercise for months on end or even decreased like I said with my squat. My bench has barely increased at all from when I was 6 months into training if you take my bodyweight increase into account. But I have gained a fair bit of muscle mass in these past 3 years, so I don't quite understand why my strength hasn't gone up to match it.

I will try to post some pictures if I can find some of when I was 17 and what I look like now at 20.

Last edited:
Hey Mike, thanks for the feedback. I didn't list enough information, but I assure you that my sleep and diet are in check. How else did I go from 135 lbs to 170 with maintaining the same bodyfat? My training might be wrong however, and that's why I believe that my strength has decreased dramatically despite gaining muscle. Here is my main problem. I literally cannot progress on my lifts at all, and they actually decrease overtime. My bench press literally never progresses, and my endurance doing squats will never increase, I am absolutely exhausted after 12 reps of squats at 145 lbs. I try to always stay within 8-12 reps for 3 sets. And if I can get 12 reps for all 3 sets, I move up the weight. The problem is, I can never get 12 reps for all 3 sets, week after week after week. I always get like 12, 10, 8, then the next week I'll get like 12, 9, 8 on the same exercise with the same weight, then the week after like 12, 9, 9 and this repeats for months, never increasing the amount of reps I can do to reach 12 for all 3 sets. And I always reach failure on the last 2 sets before reaching 12 reps.

My routine is:

Monday - Chest/Tri's-

Bench 3x8-12
Hammer strength Decline Press 3x8-12
Cable Flyes 3x10-15
Pushdowns 3x8-12
Skullcrushers 3x8-12

Tuesday - OFF

Wednesday - Back/Abs -

Lat Pulldown 3x8-12
Barbell Row 3x8-12
Hammer Strength Row 3x8-12
Shrugs 2x8-12
Decline situps 3x10-15
Weighted planks 2 sets to failure

Thursday - OFF

Friday- Shoulders/Biceps -

DB Shoulder Press 3x8-12
DB Side laterals 3x8-12
Machine side laterals 2x8-12
Rear Flyes 3x10-15
Barbell Curl 3x8-12
Machine preacher curl 2x8-12

Saturday - Legs/Calves

Squat 3x8-12
Leg Press 3x8-12
Leg Extension 2x8-12
Lying leg curl 3x8-12
Seated Leg curl 3x8-12
Calve Raises 3x20-30

Sunday - OFF

My diet as per yesterday's myfitnesspal:

Breakfast -
1 banana

Lunch -
9 oz ground beef
1.75 cups jasmine rice
12 oz gatorade

Dinner -

9 oz chicken breast
2 cups jasmine rice
12 oz gatorade

Before bed snack -
20 oz whole milk
1 scoop whey protein
1 banana
2 tbsp peanut butter

As I said, I think my training is just not working anymore, as my lifts have been stagnant on EVERY single exercise for months on end or even decreased like I said with my squat. My bench has barely increased at all from when I was 6 months into training if you take my bodyweight increase into account. But I have gained a fair bit of muscle mass in these past 3 years, so I don't quite understand why my strength hasn't gone up to match it.

I will try to post some pictures if I can find some of when I was 17 and what I look like now at 20.

i think your diet and training is the problem

but I assure you that my sleep and diet are in check. How else did I go from 135 lbs to 170 with maintaining the same bodyfat? .

you went from 135 to 170 bc you were a kid in high school not fully developed...

I can ASSURE you that your diet isn't "in check" and i will actually guarantee it... and for you to ask questions with lift #s like that, and then tell a very knowledgable member that you "know your diet is in check" is a key to me of where your problem lies... you "think" you know more than you do... it is really as simple as that... and don't get me wrong, myself and a lot of others get trapped once in awhile into that thinking like that too....it takes a little wake up call to ring home.... but believe me, when you THINK you know everything, you are doomed... hell, i learn something new about diet, training, supps almost every week here after being involved in training of 17 years and on the board talking to more experienced/advanced/smarter guys for 5+ years... i don't have my diet "in check" and am always learning/working to make it better...

Any suggestions? That is 3600 calories a day.
Breakfast -
1 banana
=24g protein/25 carbs
Lunch -
9 oz ground beef
1.75 cups jasmine rice
12 oz gatorade
(64g protein/ 65 carbs/18g fats)

Dinner -

9 oz chicken breast
2 cups jasmine rice
12 oz gatorade

43g protein/72g carbs/18 g fats

Before bed snack -
20 oz whole milk
1 scoop whey protein
1 banana
2 tbsp peanut butter
(45g protein/ 25 carbs/ 18g fats)

=167g protein/185ish carbs

You aren't going to go ANYWHERE on that... especially if your a small ecto w blazing metabolism... ... double your carbs to around 325g add in 25g extra a day protein

Last edited:
Breakfast -
1 banana
=24g protein/25 carbs
Lunch -
9 oz ground beef
1.75 cups jasmine rice
12 oz gatorade
(64g protein/ 65 carbs/18g fats)

Dinner -

9 oz chicken breast
2 cups jasmine rice
12 oz gatorade

43g protein/72g carbs/18 g fats

Before bed snack -
20 oz whole milk
1 scoop whey protein
1 banana
2 tbsp peanut butter
(45g protein/ 25 carbs/ 18g fats)

=167g protein/185ish carbs

You aren't going to go ANYWHERE on that... especially if your a small ecto w blazing metabolism... ... double your carbs to around 325g and raise protein to about 175g

Your calculations are off. Especially on the carbs. 2 cups of jasmine rice is aprx 85g carbs, 12oz gatorade is aprx 22g carbs, so that's 107g, not 72g for dinner, so I'm getting 3699 calories a day with 329g carbs, 158g fat, 229g protein, which is about a 45/33/22 split between c/p/f.

Last edited:
NickEdge, if you're going to come on here and ask for advice, be able to take constructive criticism. You're getting great advice from guys who are way more advanced and knowledgeable than you so be able to swallow your pride and realize something you're doing isn't working.

Your calculations are off. Especially on the carbs. 2 cups of jasmine rice is aprx 85g carbs, 12oz gatorade is aprx 22g carbs, so that's 107g, not 72g for dinner, so I'm getting 3699 calories a day with 329g carbs, 158g fat, 229g protein, which is about a 45/33/22 split between c/p/f.

if my carb count was off my bad, i wasn't counting your gatorade either... i still don't see how you are seeing 330 carbs

a banana is 25 carbs for breakfast

95g for lunch

107g for dinner

25g dinner

I'm still seeing 252g carbs ( even counting the gatorade)
where are you getting 330?

And where are you getting ~40 extra g of protein as well?
4 eggs- 24g
9 oz ground beef- 65g
9oz chicken- ~60g
20 oz milk- 20g
scoop protein- 25g

am i missing something?

Last edited:
i hear this kind of scenario all the time from skinny guys trying to gain. this is how the conversation goes every time.

me: eat more

skinny: I am

me: no you're not

skinny: I can't eat more

me: then stay small...

skinny: k den

bottom line, I could care less what your diet calculations and maint cals and all that are... if that is what you are eating and you're not gaining in strength or size or whatever you are going for your diet isn't right. Either you aren't taking in enough cals or not enough fat or carbs. If you are on a carb based diet it will dictate your energy levels, too low of fat can do that as well. If you are on a low carb diet you need quite a bit of healthy fats... Diet is 99% of the game.

Last edited:
NickEdge, if you're going to come on here and ask for advice, be able to take constructive criticism. You're getting great advice from guys who are way more advanced and knowledgeable than you so be able to swallow your pride and realize something you're doing isn't working.

How are these people giving me any sort of advice? The guy above didn't even know how to calculate macronutrients. He's off by 150g carbs and like 100g on fat. That's 1500 calories he's completely missing and saying my diet sucks? Dude your nutrition knowledge sucks. Plain and simple.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws