over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Scoliosis and Bodybuilding

miraclejoe

Newbies
Hello everybody.
I am 38 years old and I always did a sedentary life. I am tall and very thin. I am 6.2 and 139 lbs.
Right now I am in a very positive moment of my life and I started loving bodybuilding. I would like to get bigger and stronger.
Believe me, the only problem that stops me is scoliosis. Because when I exercise I noticed that I feel better and much more hungry.
I started doing some exercise and after a month I already got 2 pounds of weight.
BUT! there is a big problem. Scoliosis. Whenever I try to exercise my right arm (biceps and deltoids) or whenever I lift weights. My right scapula goes outside. (I have thoracic right convex scoliosis). And also my lower back is in pain. Of course I use small weights. 12 pounds per arm.
I saw that in this forum there are great bodybuilders with a scoliosis (as mine or even worst than mine) that have great bodies.
Could you help me? Give me some tips? Thank you!

friend..., I may not relate to your condition completely but I do have a mild scoliosis to my right side in vertabrae. I do have same issue you described(right scapula pushes out on curling). I'm going to address it from locally(where the symptom is) and systematically(where it originated from, long term solution).....
first the local... it stems from muscle tightness/over active of upper trapezius muscle and underactive/weakness of external rotators(supraspinatus, infraspinatus, teres minor) as well as weakness in tricep long head. if you try dips and feel weak/unstable at the top, then you know you have this.

systematic... it all originates from posture, mainly the hips. muscles in hips(mainly psoas major) causes frontal loading(causes tension in pec/delt/bicep region) which causes caving in of chest and weakness of muscles I mentioned above(rotator cuff). tight hip flexors also cause weakening/protrusion of abdominal muscles and tightness of lowerback(as you mentioned)

now solution....
1. mobility. you need to be able to move freely everywhere. a joint you can't move without resistance definitely can't move with weights. stretching or even yoga would be necessary. look into ''uppercross syndrome'' and ''lower cross syndrome'' many youtube videos out there that can help you combat this. also look into stretches for psoas major, its painful but well worth it.
2. strength. direct work on all your rotator cuff muscles and rhomboid/mid/low trap will be needed as well as core stability exercises like plank/side plank. start squatting and good mornings to strengthen your overall posture.

these are basic starting point. wish you the best.

thanks

Thank you! You have been helpful!
I tried to do dumbbells with my right arm above my chest. Trying not to involve right shoulder and scapula. What do you think?
thanks

Thank you! You have been helpful!
I tried to do dumbbells with my right arm above my chest. Trying not to involve right shoulder and scapula. What do you think?
thanks

can you explain how you do this? what exercise is it you're talking about?

I'm not quite sure if I understand what is happening with your scapula when you curl but I am wondering if using a brace like Arnold used to sell might help out, or maybe use preacher curls? Having something to brace your arms against might help?

Attachments

• arnold-curls.jpg
    arnold-curls.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 739
Do isolation movements working one side at a time so u feel the muscle. Trying sitting when doing curls to take some pressure off ur back. Seated preacher curl machine one arm at a time. Also leg press one leg at a time.

Scoliosis is related to the unconscious postural muscles. Just weight lifting never fixes this.

Due to the cerebellar input of balance control, the based of the skull should be vigorously rubbed on the low shoulder side, and remove the subocciptal tension. Daily.

Then what does work, is to weight the low shoulder side with a one armed backpack loaded with 35-40 lbs, and put in the position of distortion.

In English, if your shoulder is anterior right and low, you hang the weight pack anterior right and low, to increase the scoliosis. The unconscious cerebellar reaction is to pull back this distortion, thereby fixing it.

Do this 20-30 minutes a day, sitting on an excercise ball ....watching TV is acceptable, or just walking on a treadmill for 90 days.

You can look in the mirror to see how this works. Picks up a 70 lb dumbell. You would think the weight would pull that shoulder down, but look what really happens. It goes up! Cool, right?!

Get surgery. It's orthoscopic now, recovery not too bad. I had 7fused vertibres two rods and 14 screws done on my back. I deadlift 565 on a good day. Been weightlifting for 6 years now. Started out at a fat 165, weighing 220 now. I'm 5'9 though. Anyways, if the doc says the scoliosis is worth operating on id do it. Recovery will take a little time in the big picture, and then you're starting with a better foundation. You will probably get taller from surgery. I grew 3 inches from mine.

Get surgery. It's orthoscopic now, recovery not too bad. I had 7fused vertibres two rods and 14 screws done on my back. I deadlift 565 on a good day. Been weightlifting for 6 years now. Started out at a fat 165, weighing 220 now. I'm 5'9 though. Anyways, if the doc says the scoliosis is worth operating on id do it. Recovery will take a little time in the big picture, and then you're starting with a better foundation. You will probably get taller from surgery. I grew 3 inches from mine.

Glad that you’re doing so well. I’ve read that It’s quite common for the rods to break and get loose in the back. Wouldn’t heavy lifting, especially exercises such as deadlifts, rows and squats greatly increase the risk of such occurrence?

I myself do have a very mild scoliosis in my lower back. Only 9 degrees. Nothing to really be concerned about. However, I do understand that it is truly a hard condition to deal with for those that have it bad...

Interesting... Great info here. I decided to finally use the services of a chiropractor for the first time ever, and I found that I have scoliosis as well.

So my chiropractor will continue to do his thing, since the scoliosis is only one of my issues. I'd love to hear other options for correcting it.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws