over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Forced strength vs. natural strength

ALLEX

Banned
I just want to hear some opinions on this.

I've tried a few "beat the log" programs and something seems of when I try them.

I do a certain number of reps and all, write it down, then gotta increase weight next session for same number of reps. Okay, cool...

I start adding more and more weight and even if I can perform the reps with reasonable form, it feels like an injury is about to happen. Growth is not that great either.

OTOH, if I'm good on nutrition, rest and perhaps some gear, a certain weight gets light and I naturally increase it. That just works better for me.

I understand I can beat the log in reps too, but most programs are designed for weight.

Thoughts?

try being good with diet, rest and gear while implementing DC-type methods

You're right: more reps or more weight are both forms of progression. Weight might be suggested more often due to smaller possible increases from a percentage standpoint.

I've tried a few "beat the log" programs and something seems of when I try them.

I do a certain number of reps and all, write it down, then gotta increase weight next session for same number of reps. Okay, cool...

I start adding more and more weight and even if I can perform the reps with reasonable form, it feels like an injury is about to happen. Growth is not that great either.

OTOH, if I'm good on nutrition, rest and perhaps some gear, a certain weight gets light and I naturally increase it. That just works better for me.

I understand I can beat the log in reps too, but most programs are designed for weight.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure I am understanding what you are asking... But as far as "beating the log" goes ... I really feel that's a sure fire way to fuck yourself up... Strength and muscle builds in cycles and it's very difficult to predict... Forcing yourself to do more and more each and every work out is a recipe for disaster... Better to take a 1 step backwards, 2 steps forwards approach ... Know what I mean?

I'm not sure I am understanding what you are asking... But as far as "beating the log" goes ... I really feel that's a sure fire way to fuck yourself up... Strength and muscle builds in cycles and it's very difficult to predict... Forcing yourself to do more and more each and every work out is a recipe for disaster... Better to take a 1 step backwards, 2 steps forwards approach ... Know what I mean?

Yes, I think you got it.

There are many programs nowadays that say: "Do 3 sets of 10 with 100 kg, next session you need to add 2kg for the same sets and reps". Ok, 2kg is nothing, but after a few months you'll have added a significant amount of weight.

Whenever I try this approach that's exactly how I feel, that I'll fuck myself up.

I like my sets to feel good. Only the last reps of my last set are difficult to perform somehow. If you keep adding weight, on the first set you're already struggling to lift the load.

Thoughts?

being great at nutrition is a must! that must be addressed first to get the most bang for your buck out of your training, obviously

as far as natural vs forced strength, it comes down to bone and tendon size. Usually guys with larger bones have thicken tendons and can take the heavy loads without tearing a tendon

guys with smaller to average bone and tendon size, can tear something much much easier. Ive had some major injuries it took years to get over. at one point i had to take a full year off upper body while i did, legs, abs cardio, and watch upper body go down in size, injury was so bad

im in the latter camp and no this so while I can go heavy and do I watch it on the intensity and back off usually after a brief to 5-6 weeks at most of heavy intense training and reduce training technique to one, two or three reps shy of failure or even do high reps, etc

Thoughts?

You need to incorporate some sort of periodization into your workouts as linear progression isn't always achieve.

Most simple and best way to do this that I have found is to have different rep ranges for each workout.

That way over 3 different chest workouts your ranges may be:

Workout 1 - 5-7
Workout 2 - 8-10
Workout 3 - 12-15

It works better than doing 6-8 every workout and trying to beat that.

I'm doing DC training now and I've never grown so well nor have I ever been this strong. I feel like I have to give them a reason to grow. Forcing myself to use a heavier weight is how I'm doing that. It works for me and works for a lot of people. That being said I used to be in the gym 6-7 days a week and now I can't go more than 4 days in there or I feel like I got hit by a train. I also use the stretches that go with the training and believe it or not my mobility has actually improved while moving the heaviest weights of my life. This is what's worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, like DC says... to get bigger you have to keep getting stronger so you have to risk injury by pushing strength up or is it possible to get bigger by staying the same strength?

Well, like DC says... to get bigger you have to keep getting stronger so you have to risk injury by pushing strength up or is it possible to get bigger by staying the same strength?

Sorry, buddy, but did you read the first post? Did I mention "staying the same strength" anywhere in there?

No, I did not.

Congrats on kilo klub.

I didnt say anything about you saying strenght staying the same, I asked about getting bigger by not going up in strength... I heard people say they got bigger without getting stronger, anyone here believe that?

I didnt say anything about you saying strenght staying the same, I asked about getting bigger by not going up in strength... I heard people say they got bigger without getting stronger, anyone here believe that?

I really don't know what to say besides "read my post again".

nowadays i progress in reps more often then weight... been trying to turn my 10 rep maxs into 15 rep maxs ... i use to do more weight increases in the 5-8 range then going higher and higher in rep range... esp after my back injury, this is working very well.. pretty much what dc said in his writeup he linked

a lot of times people forget the deload phases... as soon as i feel my appetite starting to crash and getting lil tweaks here and there more often then once in awhile, i know its time for a good 2-3 weeks of lighter volume training or maybe even a good 4-5 days off of training all together...

Last edited:
Better to take a 1 step backwards, 2 steps forwards approach ... Know what I mean?

You need to incorporate some sort of periodization into your workouts

One way to do this is to program your training where you only "beat" the logbook every third or fourth workout. Starting with a PR today, the next workouts could be something like:

Workout 1: same reps/sets but with 85% of PR
Workout 2: same reps/sets but with 90% of PR
Workout 3: same reps/sets but with 95% of PR
Workout 4: same reps/sets but with NEW PR

I realize that if you're following some A/B program, then it would take 8 workouts before you would repeat the "A" workout four more times.

I've done something like this, and one takeaway is that your joints will LOVE IT!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131