over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Optimal protein

Golden

Registered
Newbies
I'm currently weighing 220lb in decent condition and looking to start growing some decent tissue over the next 12 months. I've always eaten high protein (400g+) and low carbs.
When approaching growing season would you drop protein to 300g and concentrate on pushing carbs up, without getting too out of shape?
I'm asking if 400g+ is excessive for my bodyweight?
Thanks

I wouldn't say it's crazy unreasonable. I range in the ~230 range at 8-10% offseason and I do about 350. Used to do more in the 400-425 range but probably is a little more than needed.

For offseason I'll usually bump the protein down 10% or so and bump carbs 10% or so but that's just my body

Will you be using gear?

If so, then essentially the more protein you eat, the more you will grow. To a certain extent that is... You don't need 400g of protein to grow though. Obviously.

Carbs are individual, but you do need them to grow effectively. By low carbs you mean what? If you are sensitive to them like I am, you may want to use majority of them peri-workout, or even carb cycle.

Ultimately it's something you'll have to figure and work out for yourself bro!

Here's what I have always done and feel is correct.
Bulking .8 to 1 gram per pound
Cutting 1.5 to 2 grams per pound.
Carbs are important on a bulk. you keep protein high on a cut to preserve muscle while in a deficit and obviously you will be in a surplus on a bulk so the need for protein is significantly lower.

Thank you for the input.

Carbs have always been around 250g with protein 400g, going on the advice given I will try a few months at 300g protein and 350g carbs and see how I get on

Yes, I will be using gear, nothing fancy just test @ 750mg -1g

Last edited:
Carbs are important on a bulk. you keep protein high on a cut to preserve muscle while in a deficit and obviously you will be in a surplus on a bulk so the need for protein is significantly lower.
Right on.

Everyone is different and no one can give a definitive answer. However, more protein isn't gonna hurt.

Keep protein and carbs moderate and blast the high quality healthy fats. It's an old school Vince Gironda technique but it will fill out your physique keeping you both lean and full.

I'm sitting at 276-279 and my macro break down is 400g protein 800g carbs and 200g fat (just upped fats today from 150).

I'm sitting at 276-279 and my macro break down is 400g protein 800g carbs and 200g fat (just upped fats today from 150).
:eek: 6600 calories daily? You are a more dedicated man than myself lol...and you have a stronger stomach too :eek:

To the OP, I would naturally up carbs while bulking and keep protein moderate (1g/lb of body weight or a bit higher).

~4500kcal coming from 560-580 carb, 370-380 protein (325 complete protein sources), 60-80 fat

Keep protein and carbs moderate and blast the high quality healthy fats. It's an old school Vince Gironda technique but it will fill out your physique keeping you both lean and full.

Tom can you briefly explain how that would look? What would a meal look like?

Tom can you briefly explain how that would look? What would a meal look like?

Going to vary person to person but for example:

40p/30-40c/20-30f

Fats coming from something like extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, macadamia nut oil, avocado, etc.

What weight does that have you at?

Was at 4200kcal at 213lbs and weight didn't budge so bumped it to the 4500kcal.

So hopefully I start seeing some weight gain with the increase.

Thank you for the input.

Carbs have always been around 250g with protein 400g, going on the advice given I will try a few months at 300g protein and 350g carbs and see how I get on

Yes, I will be using gear, nothing fancy just test @ 750mg -1g

Nice I've really learned my body. you will have to play around with carbs. Over doing protein in not nessicary on a bulk. As long as your getting atleast one gram a pound your set and play around with your carbs from there. Are you doing cardio and when.

Nice I've really learned my body. you will have to play around with carbs. Over doing protein in not nessicary on a bulk. As long as your getting atleast one gram a pound your set and play around with your carbs from there. Are you doing cardio and when.

Cardio reduced to 3 sessions a week to keep the blood pumping and the lungs alive. Straight after training

I wasn't a huge fan of higher protein. I stuck to about 1g protein per body weight. Since I increased it my strength and size has gone up compared to adding more carbs.

Totally disagree, you do not need that much protein to get lean and maintain muscle.

Totally disagree, you do not need that much protein to get lean and maintain muscle.

Agreed that amount is not an absolute, but that much may be needed in terms of caloric intake. At some point (depending on the individual) carbs are going to be quite low and fats almost non-existent, so calories are going to have to come from somewhere.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws