YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Deadlifts are the best exercise to build muscle mass. True or false?

Are deadlifts the best exercise to build mass?

• Yes

Votes: 57 53.3%
  • No

Votes: 50 46.7%

• Total voters

Tarasoft11

Banned
I read about Why deadlifts are the best exercise to build muscle mass
and its basically saying that if you can only do one exercise in order to gain muscle, deadlifts would be the top choice, followed by squats and then bench press.

I am really bad at deadlifts because I have naturally weak and skinny forearms and my grip is terrible (always have to use gloves or straps otherwise my grip will fail me early)

Is there any alternative exercise that is as effective as building mass as the deadlift?
When will it be my turn to deadlift 5 plates (can't even do more than 3..)

and its basically saying that if you can only do one exercise in order to gain muscle, deadlifts would be the top choice, followed by squats and then bench press.

I am really bad at deadlifts because I have naturally weak and skinny forearms and my grip is terrible (always have to use gloves or straps otherwise my grip will fail me early)

Is there any alternative exercise that is as effective as building mass as the deadlift?
Deads over back squats all day everyday.

No matter how I back squat (close stance, wide stance, ATG, partials, etc.) all it really does is build ass mass, spinal erectors and turns my thighs into carrots. No thanks.

Deadlift on the other hand, especially trapbar deads, I'm able to dig into the quads/hams much better by keeping the back as arched and perpendicular to the floor as possible.

The only exercise that may rival the deadlift for sheer mass-building is the power clean, but for thighs I'll stick with front squat, hacks and deads.

Last edited:
Deads over back squats all day everyday.

No matter how I back squat (close stance, wide stance, ATG, partials, etc.) all it really does is build ass mass, spinal erectors and turns my thighs into carrots. No thanks.

Deadlift on the other hand, especially trapbar deads, I'm able to dig into the quads/hams much better by keeping the back as arched and perpendicular to the floor as possible.

The only exercise that may rival the deadlift for sheer mass-building is the power clean, but for thighs I'll stick with front squat, hacks and deads.

True! My top 3 exercises are the big three compound lifts
Bench press is the most "fun" to do, but deadlifts are superior in terms of muscle building. just my opinion

i love doing deadlifts and pretty much do them in some form every week..but I don't necessarily think they are the best muscle builder if you could only pick one exercise. I don't even think they are necessary to build a great back I just enjoy the feeling they give and I like doing them so I do them.

If I had to pick one overall exercise than muscle overall I would say the clean and press. I haven't done those in years but you are involving pretty much every muscle group with that lift.

There are probably tons of top pros that built massive amounts of muscle with our squats or deadlifts ...

I think deads build mass well...but its mostly in the mid and lower back. Id rather build the outer lats for that all important width that a bodybuilder or someone who desires a symmetrical physique needs. Id don't feel Deads accomplish this as well as, say, heavy pulldowns or low rows.
But it probably builds overall mass better, its just a matter of where that mass is.

I don't conventional deadlift. Just still leg for hammies. Heavy cable dumbbell and barbell rows with good form and contraction have built my back.

I do look to getting back into conventional deads this years.

if deadlifts are not the best exercise to build mass, it is definitely up there!

"Deadlift is the only exercise that stimulates both the lower and upper body. Deadlifts work the butt, upper thighs, hamstrings, lower back, upper middle back, traps, and gives a kind of "fullness" in the chest"

1) Who fucking cares if you could only do one exercise because there is no plausible circumstance in which that would be possible. 2) I hope you are not on gear. 3) Your grip strength will improve as you practice the exercise. No there is not an as effective alternative. Man up, use some chalk if you need to, grab the fucking bar like you holding on the edge of a building, and pull.

I think it is tied with squats

Both are equally important if you want to gain mass

Tied? There is no tie. There are a multitude of effective exercises and a proper training regimen will involve many of them. There is no one exercise to gain mass.

Heavy rowing and chins are just as effective. Too much risk of injury with these heavy ass deadlifts

Heavy rowing and chins are just as effective. Too much risk of injury with these heavy ass deadlifts

I agree that a combination of exercises could "make up" in a sense for not doing deadlifts but the question was is there any 1 exercise, to which I say no.

got it from google

Now that you found PM - you don't ever have to "google" anything BB - weight training - supplement etc etc related again!!

This site is LITERALLY an encyclopedia of both written and anecdotal data. Use the search feature and read away man.

Welcome to Promuscle University

Lighter, controlled deadlifts for 10-12 reps per set is where it's at

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity