over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Low Ferritin/Common with AAS use

Thebigone

Kilo Klub Member
I noticed a few people like Nothuman and some others have been posting they have low ferritin so I'm wondering if there is a link between this and AAS use. A few years ago my hematologist had me donate blood every two weeks to get my hemoglobin down and after about four donations I was so exhausted I got blood work done in my iron serum was low. But he never tested my ferritin. Since then I've been donating once every two months and with a clean diet I have been able to keep my hemoglobin around 16 to 17 which I am fine with. My cardiologist recently told me iron serum is not the best indicator it's important to check ferritin so I recently got a blood test done. About six weeks after donating my iron serum was 42 range 38-169 then about two weeks later the day before I donated blood I got a full iron panel done. I also had about 24 ounces of redmeat the day before. Myresults were

Total iron 79 range 50-180
Iron binding capacity 453 range 250-425
Ferritin 18 range 20-345
Transferrin 309 range 188-349

So as you can see my total Iron is on the lower end and my ferritin is low but my iron binding capacity is high and my transferrin is on the higher end. I don't know what those two are. Maybe someone can chime in? Thanks

You are encroaching iron deficiency. An elevated TIBC or UIBC in suggestive of iron deficiency, as is suggestive of your ferritin.

Testosterone likes to play with hepcidin, which is one of a few iron regulators. Testosterone in-it-of itself can lower ferritin. In a physiological sense, this really isn't an issue. When we breach physiological, this is the game changer.

Metformin also likes to play with our iron status.

Don't hesitate to start upping your iron intake.

This is interesting stuff. I had always assumed it was simply the repeated blood donations that caused the low ferritin levels. It never occurred to me that other factors play much of a role.

If you need to be donating every 2 months just to keep your Hemoglobin and Hematocrit in check, I would assume the iron stores take a hit with each donation. I would assume this compounds over time since the ferritin levels seem to take longer to recover.

For those folks on TRT, this would seem to place a limit on the weekly dose. If you run the dose too high and require whole blood donations every 56 days just to keep the Hemoglobin and Hematocrit in check ... it's probably time to lower your dose before your ferritin levels take a hit. I try to wait at least 3 months between blood donations.

Of course, if you are running a cycle, it's a short term thing and once your cycle ends, things will go back to normal and you can take a break from blood donations.

With whole blood donations every 3 months, my last ferritin levels came back at ~100ng/mL (Ref: Range 30 - 400)

With each 500ml of blood loss, we lose approximately 250ml of iron and lower our ferritin by approximately 20-30ng/ml.

One can tank their ferritin fairly quickly. It can be troublesome-lenghty regaining a healthy iron status.

With each 500ml of blood loss, we lose approximately 250ml of iron and lower our ferritin by approximately 20-30ng/ml.

One can tank their ferritin fairly quickly. It can be troublesome-lenghty regaining a healthy iron status.

...mg

You are encroaching iron deficiency. An elevated TIBC or UIBC in suggestive of iron deficiency, as is suggestive of your ferritin.

Testosterone likes to play with hepcidin, which is one of a few iron regulators. Testosterone in-it-of itself can lower ferritin. In a physiological sense, this really isn't an issue. When we breach physiological, this is the game changer.

Metformin also likes to play with our iron status.

Don't hesitate to start upping your iron intake.

Hmmmm I just don't know how increasing my iron will effect my hemo. The whole goal of donating is to keep hemo down so I wouldn't want to counteract that But at he same time don't want low iron. Do you think I would be better off adding an iron supplement like the 65mg tabs once per day and still donating every 2 months or maybe I'm better off not adding the iron and see if I can go 3-4 months without donating?

Hmmmm I just don't know how increasing my iron will effect my hemo. The whole goal of donating is to keep hemo down so I wouldn't want to counteract that But at he same time don't want low iron. Do you think I would be better off adding an iron supplement like the 65mg tabs once per day and still donating every 2 months or maybe I'm better off not adding the iron and see if I can go 3-4 months without donating?

Having annoyed Stewie to death about this very topic (I'm surprised he hasn't blocked me yet), I can tell you the recommendation I got was Dessicated Liver Tabs (Solgar brand). The bottle says to take 3 but he suggested taking 6 (split twice a day). That should maybe help raise ferritin without raising H/H in the process. I won't be getting bloodwork again until 12/1 so I can't say if that has worked for me yet. Hopefully it has, because it sucks to worry about H/H rising while having low ferritin levels.

Can I ask how your stamina is and what your RHR is? I'm wondering if they are affected by the lower ferritin as I am personally trying to pinpoint why my cardio sucks, despite working on it so much.

One of the side effects of giving a lot of blood is having to make a lot of new blood. This uses up your iron stores pretty fast.

Take note that men's multi-vitamins usually contain little to no iron.

Having annoyed Stewie to death about this very topic (I'm surprised he hasn't blocked me yet), I can tell you the recommendation I got was Dessicated Liver Tabs (Solgar brand). The bottle says to take 3 but he suggested taking 6 (split twice a day). That should maybe help raise ferritin without raising H/H in the process. I won't be getting bloodwork again until 12/1 so I can't say if that has worked for me yet. Hopefully it has, because it sucks to worry about H/H rising while having low ferritin levels.

Can I ask how your stamina is and what your RHR is? I'm wondering if they are affected by the lower ferritin as I am personally trying to pinpoint why my cardio sucks, despite working on it so much.

Over the past six weeks or so I went from 260 to 245 from dieting so I have much more stamina now and I feel great but that also is probably because I completely switched over to a healthy organic diet versus my old diet of processed foods and shit quality meat, etc. I do have a fast resting heart rate and I have for a very long time now and when researching iron deficiency I noticed it said one of the side effects is increased heart rate. I'm always on HGH and peptides so I'm sure that plays a role but I don't take much only 3iu's of Serostim. Back when I was 260 my blood pressure was high 150s over high 80s and my doctor put me on 40 mg lisinopril and 25 mg Hctz and now my blood pressure is around high 120s low 130s over high 60s low 70s but then again I've lost 15 pounds which probably plays a big role. I'm prescribed vyvanse which definitely increases heart rate but my doctor wanted me to take my blood pressure and heart rate first thing in the morning before I take my vyvanse and in the evening around 6 PM. My rhr in the morning is pretty good it's in the 70's but once the vyvanse kicks in it's 90'-low 100's during the time span is in my system and around 6 PM about three hours after my work out it's high 80s. So that plays a huge role in my heart rate.

I'm definitely going to try the liver tabs. Have you taken an iron supplement to try and fix your issues and if so did it work and cause an increase in hemoglobin or any other side effects?

Over the past six weeks or so I went from 260 to 245 from dieting so I have much more stamina now and I feel great but that also is probably because I completely switched over to a healthy organic diet versus my old diet of processed foods and shit quality meat, etc. I do have a fast resting heart rate and I have for a very long time now and when researching iron deficiency I noticed it said one of the side effects is increased heart rate. I'm always on HGH and peptides so I'm sure that plays a role but I don't take much only 3iu's of Serostim. Back when I was 260 my blood pressure was high 150s over high 80s and my doctor put me on 40 mg lisinopril and 25 mg Hctz and now my blood pressure is around high 120s low 130s over high 60s low 70s but then again I've lost 15 pounds which probably plays a big role. I'm prescribed vyvanse which definitely increases heart rate but my doctor wanted me to take my blood pressure and heart rate first thing in the morning before I take my vyvanse and in the evening around 6 PM. My rhr in the morning is pretty good it's in the 70's but once the vyvanse kicks in it's 90'-low 100's during the time span is in my system and around 6 PM about three hours after my work out it's high 80s. So that plays a huge role in my heart rate.

I'm definitely going to try the liver tabs. Have you taken an iron supplement to try and fix your issues and if so did it work and cause an increase in hemoglobin or any other side effects?

Only the liver tabs, but I won't have bloodwork until 12/1 to see if it worked.

Keep us posted bro. My iron is low so my MCH, MCV, and RDW are always screwed up. Iron supps don't seem to help it. Even when I did get my total blood iron up my MCV, MCH, and RDW still showed signs of anemia and were still slightly out of range.

Just picked them up. Starting with 3 tabs 2x per day. Will get bloods done in 30 days to see results.

I use this place. Type in Anemia panel it's only $60 and you get a cbc, total iron, ferritin, iron with tibc, folate and b12.

https://www.health-tests-direct.com/

I wish but I live in NY so I have to have a prescription to get bloodwork. Idiotic state law.

Keep us posted bro. My iron is low so my MCH, MCV, and RDW are always screwed up. Iron supps don't seem to help it. Even when I did get my total blood iron up my MCV, MCH, and RDW still showed signs of anemia and were still slightly out of range.

Did you find out the reason you are anemic ? My hemoglobin and hematocrit have always been high so I donate every 2-3 months .my last blood work showed my hemoglobin and hematocrit low normal and Mcv,mch,mchc low and my rdw high .my doc did more blood work and tested my ferritin and it was very low ,a whopping 9. She referred me to a gastro doc to do a colonoscopy to see if I am bleeding somewhere .there was no blood in my stool when tested .

I wish but I live in NY so I have to have a prescription to get bloodwork. Idiotic state law.

Such a lame rule. I'm just about to add 300-400mg MastE but that will be the only change. Hopefully that won't skew the results but I don't think it should much like if it was EQ or tren.

Also Stewie said you lose 250mg iron so I think I'm gonna take an iron tab just for like 5days to get back what I lost.

Last edited:

Have you ever thought about using the ferrous sulfate Dr. Kim recommended? Would it be beneficial? Any side effects?

I cook almost exclusively in cast iron cookware which has been shown to add a significant amount of iron to your foods. Especially acidic foods

Have you ever thought about using the ferrous sulfate Dr. Kim recommended? Would it be beneficial? Any side effects?

Nah I want to wait until I get my bloodwork in a month to see if my ferritin improved. I am resistant to try ferrous sulfate due to the stomach issues it could cause.

Nah I want to wait until I get my bloodwork in a month to see if my ferritin improved. I am resistant to try ferrous sulfate due to the stomach issues it could cause.

Seems like the sides are very mild. It's been about 2.5 weeks since my last draw. I added an iron pill(65mg ferritin) with breakfast for about 5 days(probably absorbed 25% if that) and have been using the 3 beef liver tabs 2x per day. In a few weeks I'll get labs done and if no improvement I may give the sulfate a shot.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws