over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Dorian Yates and Ronnie coleman

BigMatt

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
You wanna know why they were champion?

In that time they didnt have Social media...

Now all you see is everyone talking about who they are with coaching etc... who they sponsor support them,telling you how great they are on social media.

Trying to accumulate as much friend as possible. Thats not a good thing.

Dorian yates and ronnie coleman are very different bodybuilders.

Dorian yates was training alone with his friend on another continent. He didnt talk about other competitors or you didnt see him much.

All he did was training and Eating achieve his goal, to win MR Olympia.

Same for Coleman training in his hardcore gym in texas. He didnt try to use fancy equipements or anything. He just use basic movement and Eating alot of foods to reach his goal.

How many of you have Bench Press 500 Pounds+???

How many of you have Squat 700 pounds+???

How many of you have deadlift 800 Pounds+ ???

Stop trying to get all fancy with exercise and foods and supplements.

Theres no secret!

If you want to get to a high level you must follow the same Path as those 2 champions. EMULATE THEM.

I see all the time Guys thinking that if they up their dosage of Test from 1g to 2g they will become champions. Thats not how it work.

Dorian yates and Ronnie coleman NEVER PUT GEAR before Training and Diet.Thats what made them Champions!

And thats what you should do if you want to become one!

Well...he isn't wrong guys.

DY and RC also had the genetic thing going for them. One can train to be the biggest and best bodybuilder their genetics allow them, doesn't mean they'd come close to being a champion.

Social media has nothing to do w it lol...

I have benched over 500, and squatted over 800.
I don't look anything like either of them......

Next to your average Joe I look like I lift weights.
Next to a good bodybuilder I look like I lift little weights.

I have benched over 500, and squatted over 800.
I don't look anything like either of them......

Next to your average Joe I look like I lift weights.
Next to a good bodybuilder I look like I lift little weights.

My best in competition were:
squat - 950
bench - 525
deadlift - 800

While I am as tall as Ronnie and taller that Dorian, they both have quite a bit more mass than I did at the time when I competed in both the 275's and 308's. But we certainly trained differently. My training was all about a single max lift. Ronnie in particular had two separate programs in one week; 1) low rep max weight and 2) higher reps heavy weight. This according to current research may very well affect the way we develop. When I trained for powerlifting I looked very strong, almost like a refridgerator. Once I retired from competition and started adding bodybuilding my physique completely changed. I don't physically look like the same person now.

Myofibrillar Hypertrophy

Science has now reason to believe there are two types of hypertrophy: contractile hypertrophy (myofibrillar) and non-contractile hypertrophy (sarcoplasmic). Myofibrillar hypertrophy is suspected to be lower reps (1-5) with max weight and causes an addition of sarcomeres in series or in parallel. Training in this fashion (powerlifter) will cause a very strong dense muscle but not quite as much mass like the typical bodybuilder.

Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy

Despite some of our internet gurus saying this is bro science, researchers have found evidence that a more non-contractile hypertrophy also takes place in which higher rep training protocols super saturate elements within a muscle such as collagen, glycogen, water, amino acids and electrolytes. This superhydration of the cell (the pump) causes the integrity of the muscle cell wall to become at risk. In response, the cell reinforces it's structure which in turn stimulates growth. Research show to induce sarcoplasmic hypertrophy it is necessary to train in the 6-12 range. Again, there are some newer studies that show this intracellular hydration can cause hypertrophy both by increasing protein synthesis and decreasing proteolysis (protein degradation).

Most bodybuilders specifically train in the 6-12 range trying to get that pump using drop sets, super sets, failure etc. Many think and are certainly right in their thought process that training in the 1-5 rep range put you at big risk of injury. Thus, they stick with the 6-12 rep training and get a much more bulky growth with not quite as much density. This doesn't mean that myofibrillar hypertrophy doesn't happen, it just means that it doesn't happen to the extent as it does with someone who specifically trains with low reps or, someone like Ronnie Coleman who spent half his training doing low reps. We you put a bulky muscle up against a bulky, dense muscle the latter is going to win providing everything else is equal.

Personal experience

I have spent 23 years working as a strength coach for a football team. When I took over these kids strictly did Olympic style lifting. They honestly weren't every strong and certainly didn't look like they lifted weights. Up front on both sides of the football we got pushed around like rag dolls.

When I took over I had them do their core lifts at low reps and added a variety of more bodybuilding lifts at higher reps. More in the way Ronnie Coleman trained. In 1 off season I completely changed the physique of these athletes. They now looked like bodybuilders but were very strong and also on average 11-15lbs heavier. No longer did we get rag-dolled up front.

A few years down the line we get a new head coach and he wanted to go back to what we were doing and not being successful with. The kids lost weight, lost size, body weight and again didn't look like they lifted weights. We started getting rag-dolled all season.

Last edited:
Yes they focused on their training but I don't think social media is a bodybuilders downfall. If social media was around in Arnold's era, I think he would have been all over that! Train when it's time to train and self promote when it's time for that...nothing wrong with a strong fan following...usually leads to sponsorship's!

Yes they focused on their training but I don't think social media is a bodybuilders downfall. If social media was around in Arnold's era, I think he would have been all over that! Train when it's time to train and self promote when it's time for that...nothing wrong with a strong fan following...usually leads to sponsorship's!

I agree with you Bio, if you don't promote yourself, who is going to. Once you get people's attention you better have something to show or they will quite listening to you. Like Kid Rock said, "it ain't braggin' if you can back it up."

these same people most likely would be all over social media and posting up pics of themselves if they were in todays age. Arnold had a few people always take photos of him in the gym, I mean just look at all the pics of him that are available from his day, couldn't imagine how much more there would be, he even self admittedly loves taking pics of himself and is a bit narcissistic. I do what get what you're trying to say though.

Fact is that most bodybuilers must promote their shelf through social media because that is how you make contracts these days...Just be smart show something different,don't go overboard posting a pic every minute etch..

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear