over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

HELP GETTING RID OF BACTERIAL PROSTATITIS

Michael30

Registered
Hi I have bacterial prostatitis. I've been on antibiotics for 4 weeks now. Unfortunately from the beggining of symptoms to when I finally got on the correct antibiotics was months. So Im concerned this is going to make getting rid of it that much harder. I have 2 questions. first has anyone had bacterial prostatitis that was hard to get rid of but eventually did? And second has anyone came across any info saying AAS use can increase your chance of prostatitis or bacterial prostatitis from enlargement of the prostate or other means? * Note I'm currently on 100mg of doxycycline twice a day.

Hi I have bacterial prostatitis. I've been on antibiotics for 4 weeks now. Unfortunately from the beggining of symptoms to when I finally got on the correct antibiotics was months. So Im concerned this is going to make getting rid of it that much harder. I have 2 questions. first has anyone had bacterial prostatitis that was hard to get rid of but eventually did? And second has anyone came across any info saying AAS use can increase your chance of prostatitis or bacterial prostatitis from enlargement of the prostate or other means? * Note I'm currently on 100mg of doxycycline twice a day.

Did someone prove you had bacterial version? In other words, did you have a positive culture of prostatic secretions?

A true chronic bacterial prostatitis can take quite a long time to treat, and after that it may become chronic nonbacterial prostatitis, which is a nightmare for us urologists and for the patients.

Acute prostatitis is easier, as it's a clearer picture, usually associated with fevers/chills, etc.

Can't think of any good reason AAS would lead to bacterial prostatitis, although enlargement for any reason can lead to obstructed ducts, etc, and in some men this could predispose to prostatitis.

There's still a lot we don't know about the chronic versions. All I know is that men are treated with tons of ABX for what is usually a NON-bacterial form. Sometimes the abx help, but often they don't, and men end up being on many different STRONG abx for months and months at a time.

Doxy is typically given to younger guys when docs think they have STD-related prostatitis or epididymitis. However, Doxy has some anti-inflammatory properties so often we will give it for more "chronic" type conditions like chronic orchalgia, chronic pelvic pain, etc.

Sorry you're going through this.

Did someone prove you had bacterial version? In other words, did you have a positive culture of prostatic secretions?

A true chronic bacterial prostatitis can take quite a long time to treat, and after that it may become chronic nonbacterial prostatitis, which is a nightmare for us urologists and for the patients.

Acute prostatitis is easier, as it's a clearer picture, usually associated with fevers/chills, etc.

Can't think of any good reason AAS would lead to bacterial prostatitis, although enlargement for any reason can lead to obstructed ducts, etc, and in some men this could predispose to prostatitis.

There's still a lot we don't know about the chronic versions. All I know is that men are treated with tons of ABX for what is usually a NON-bacterial form. Sometimes the abx help, but often they don't, and men end up being on many different STRONG abx for months and months at a time.

Doxy is typically given to younger guys when docs think they have STD-related prostatitis or epididymitis. However, Doxy has some anti-inflammatory properties so often we will give it for more "chronic" type conditions like chronic orchalgia, chronic pelvic pain, etc.

ditto my prostatitis has come and gone for over a decade now, been to several urologists and never been able to cure it.
I have undergone many courses of antibiotics and will never take them again because they didn't work and they never proved it was bacterial.

I was on antibiotics for months and no relief.
They had a standard protocol of doxy, then erythromyocin then levaquin

Stay away from the drugs like levaquin and cipro black box warning for tendon ruptures.

I have done so much research on it in ten years I give up. I take a few vitamins/supplements for inflammation and it seems to help ..but it never completely goes away.

good luck

Last edited:
my experiences

I feel, know your pain. Prostatitis is tough to treat due it being difficult to get the antibiotics
directly to the gland. Or so I was told.

I too have had prostatitis. May many times. More times than I can count. Had my first bout
when I was in my 20’s, long time ago. Saw a urologist. Forgotten what he prescribed (flagyl?)
and it went away. Prior to that I had several bouts of non-specific- urethritis (NSU) which, I think,
set the stage for endless bouts of prostatitis.

Got prostatitis again in my 30’s and was treated successfully (don’t remember what I took)
and I went away again, with my doctor noting that it will never fully go away, will ‘smolder’ in
the gland. (Thanks doc ;) )

Had my worst prostatitis when I was 39. Just terrible pain, frequent urination, all the symptoms
but magnified. Was treated with multiple antibiotics until it finally went away with ciprofloxacin.
Was never cultured (I asked) but don’t remember the doctors response . . . something to the
effect it would be meaningless. At least that was my recollection, could be wrong.

From then on, until about 5 years ago (I am 62 now) I got prostatitis about four times a year.
Tried every drug on the books but finally hit on ciprofloxacin, which resolved it. The ciprofloxacin
worked for the longest time but started raising havoc on my elbow tendons. In all honesty, my
tendon issues could have been exasperated by my weight training or caused by my usage of
ciprofloxacin. Don’t really know but we switched to levofloxin which is my drug of choice now,
works best, and works better when taken for a minimum of 3 to four weeks. The longer duration
of that drug really helped. Kudos to my urologist.

Another thing that I believe helped was the addition of some daily probiotics. My MD – GP suggested
that, and that helped with the frequency of flare-ups, that I suspect along with the longer duration
of the meds has really helped. I get a flare-up now, maybe, once a year, and usually, directly, following
a cold or flu which lowers my immune system and allows the prostatitis to ‘sneak’ back it. My
opinion.

I am okay as I can be with the way things are now. Very manageable now as far as frequency and
severity. But I believe it is still lingering, fully unresolved until, again, my immune system is taxed
then it rears its ugly head . . .

I am unaware of the any effects ‘steroids’ may have on this nasty bug. I use and have only used
Test C (TRT doses) so I can’t really comment on the effects of other compounds.

I hope this info helps. And I hope you can get this under control.

I too had prostatitis, no known cause in my case. Was prescribed Cipro and flomax. Cipro did nothing. I believe warm/hot sitz baths and warming packs provided more relief than anything else.

I too had prostatitis, no known cause in my case. Was prescribed Cipro and flomax. Cipro did nothing. I believe warm/hot sitz baths and warming packs provided more relief than anything else.
Yes there are some wicked treatments out there - one naturo path I went to wanted to do prostate milking and massage and wanted to slap a TENS unit under my scrotum. That was too much for me to stomach. I have been told that once you have it - it always comes back.
There have been times that I had it so bad I almost asked the Doc's if they could remove it- seriously- cycling and lots of sex seemed to make it the worst.

Thank you very much for the response. What happen is I had what I thought was UTI infection symptoms, did a little research and thought it was either this or possible prostatitis. (The reason i thought it could be prostatitis was because I could feel my prostate was alittle enlarged, and had some symptoms) I went to the Dr they tested for std which was negative. They did a UTI culture test(which was positive for e coli, if I remember correctly) That came back positive. They Dr gave me antibiotics and sent me on my way. Aweek later I got a call saying the culture came back the antibiotics where resistant to what I was taking. They gave me new antibiotics and sent me on my way. Fast forward 3-4 weeks all the symptoms came back, went back to the Dr. Except this time I told him I thought I possibly had an enlarged prostate and asked if it could be prostatitis. I then had the pleasure of getting an prostate exam. The Dr said my prostate was enlarged and boggy(what ever that means, I'm assuming inflamed) and said yes I had prostatitis. then put me on doxycycline for 42 days. And I'm now 4 weeks in. Now a quick question how do they do a prostate secretion test?

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the response. What happen is I had what I thought was UTI infection symptoms, did a little research and thought it was either this or possible prostatitis. (The reason i thought it could be prostatitis was because I could feel my prostate was alittle enlarged, and had some symptoms) I went to the Dr they tested for std which was negative. They did a UTI culture test(which was positive for e coli, if I remember correctly) That came back positive. They Dr gave me antibiotics and sent me on my way. Aweek later I got a call saying the culture came back the antibiotics where resistant to what I was taking. They gave me new antibiotics and sent me on my way. Fast forward 3-4 weeks all the symptoms came back, went back to the Dr. Except this time I told him I thought I possibly had an enlarged prostate and asked if it could be prostatitis. I then had the pleasure of getting an prostate exam. The Dr said my prostate was enlarged and boggy(what ever that means, I'm assuming inflamed) and then put me on doxycycline for 42 days. And I'm now 4 weeks in.

This is actually great information, and it's reassuring that you actually grew an organism. You may honestly have more of an acute prostatitis, in which case 4-6 weeks of ABX will LIKELY clear it up.

Doxy is ok. Bactrim DS may be better as trimethoprim has good prostate penetration.

I avoid Cipro in my patients unless they MUST have it based on antimicrobial resistance to other antibiotics.

The unfortunate thing is that a bout of prostatitis (bacterial) can seem to trigger inflammatory cascade that then leads to chronic nonbacterial prostatitis which, as I said above, and others mentioned above, is a nightmare to deal with.

I would also say this to those who suffer from long term "prostatitis". Make sure it's not actually chronic pelvic pain syndrome due to tight levators. If so, then trigger point release via pelvic floor physical therapy can help in a great deal of cases.

Wouldn't be comfortable, but definitely can help. Usually easy to tell on physical exam if one has tight levator muscles. I see it a lot in my military patients who have these symptoms.

I'm not a fan of prostate massage, nor are patients. LoL. It can help a FEW, but may just be placebo effect. Studies don't really show that it helps.

Some guys I see with these symptoms i will scope, and they will have a tight bladder neck, so Flomax helps. Usually there will be obstructive voiding complaints in combo with the prostatitis symptoms, though.

I've even started recommending Curcumin to some of my chronic prostatitis guys, just to see if it may help over time. Time will tell. One of the old medicines used for chronic prostatitis was Quercitin, which was an anti-inflammatory, so I figure Curcumin may help, and it won't likely hurt.

ditto my prostatitis has come and gone for over a decade now, been to several urologists and never been able to cure it.
I have undergone many courses of antibiotics and will never take them again because they didn't work and they never proved it was bacterial.

I was on antibiotics for months and no relief.
They had a standard protocol of doxy, then erythromyocin then levaquin

Stay away from the drugs like levaquin and cipro black box warning for tendon ruptures.

I have done so much research on it in ten years I give up. I take a few vitamins/supplements for inflammation and it seems to help ..but it never completely goes away.

good luck

Thanks for the response, my big concern is I really don't want to get chronic prostatitis, just curious have you found that certain things inflame or enlarge your prostate that are none AAS, besides caffeine and alcohol? I know winstrol enlarges my prostate, and possibly masteron. Also can you tell me what you take when your prostatitis flares up. I greatly appreciate your responses as this is pretty frustrating.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, my big concern is I really don't want to get chronic prostatitis, just curious have you found that certain things inflame or enlarge your prostate that are none AAS, besides caffeine and alcohol? I know winstrol enlarges my prostate, and possibly masteron. Also can you tell me what you take when your prostatitis flares up. I greatly appreciate your responses as this is pretty frustrating.

Well I myself haven't had it, I just treat it. Any strong androgens *can* enlarge the prostate a bit. I know tren does for me, and Masteron.

But the likelihood they are going to cause prostatitis is small.

To be honest, we just don't know that much about it. And many people get "flare-up" type symptoms from different things. For some it's caffeine, others may be something else.

For chronic prostatitisi I just tell my patients it's going to be likely a long process of trial and error until we figure out what can make the symptoms MANAGEABLE. I don't offer cure for it, because it's just so damn hard to "cure".

In your case I have a feeling this will resolve with time and the RIGHT antibiotic.

I did have what I was told was "prostatitis" back in college when I was 18. Was on abx for over 2 months before things cleared. And I haven't had an issue since.

So there's hope :)

I feel, know your pain. Prostatitis is tough to treat due it being difficult to get the antibiotics
directly to the gland. Or so I was told.

I too have had prostatitis. May many times. More times than I can count. Had my first bout
when I was in my 20’s, long time ago. Saw a urologist. Forgotten what he prescribed (flagyl?)
and it went away. Prior to that I had several bouts of non-specific- urethritis (NSU) which, I think,
set the stage for endless bouts of prostatitis.

Got prostatitis again in my 30’s and was treated successfully (don’t remember what I took)
and I went away again, with my doctor noting that it will never fully go away, will ‘smolder’ in
the gland. (Thanks doc ;) )

Had my worst prostatitis when I was 39. Just terrible pain, frequent urination, all the symptoms
but magnified. Was treated with multiple antibiotics until it finally went away with ciprofloxacin.
Was never cultured (I asked) but don’t remember the doctors response . . . something to the
effect it would be meaningless. At least that was my recollection, could be wrong.

From then on, until about 5 years ago (I am 62 now) I got prostatitis about four times a year.
Tried every drug on the books but finally hit on ciprofloxacin, which resolved it. The ciprofloxacin
worked for the longest time but started raising havoc on my elbow tendons. In all honesty, my
tendon issues could have been exasperated by my weight training or caused by my usage of
ciprofloxacin. Don’t really know but we switched to levofloxin which is my drug of choice now,
works best, and works better when taken for a minimum of 3 to four weeks. The longer duration
of that drug really helped. Kudos to my urologist.

Another thing that I believe helped was the addition of some daily probiotics. My MD – GP suggested
that, and that helped with the frequency of flare-ups, that I suspect along with the longer duration
of the meds has really helped. I get a flare-up now, maybe, once a year, and usually, directly, following
a cold or flu which lowers my immune system and allows the prostatitis to ‘sneak’ back it. My
opinion.

I am okay as I can be with the way things are now. Very manageable now as far as frequency and
severity. But I believe it is still lingering, fully unresolved until, again, my immune system is taxed
then it rears its ugly head . . .

I am unaware of the any effects ‘steroids’ may have on this nasty bug. I use and have only used
Test C (TRT doses) so I can’t really comment on the effects of other compounds.

I hope this info helps. And I hope you can get this under control.

Thank you for the info. I'm praying I can get rid of this. Trying to stay positive, but I can still feel symptoms at certain times and I'm still on antibiotics. The down side is doxycycline makes me nauseous unless I eat every 2-3 hours. Which is tough. Another down side is the Dr said the best drug to take for prostatitis I can't take due to an interaction with another med I'm on. So hopefully doxycycline works.

Yes there are some wicked treatments out there - one naturo path I went to wanted to do prostate milking and massage and wanted to slap a TENS unit under my scrotum. That was too much for me to stomach. I have been told that once you have it - it always comes back.
There have been times that I had it so bad I almost asked the Doc's if they could remove it- seriously- cycling and lots of sex seemed to make it the worst.

Just curious, when you have symptoms. What are they? Trouble urinating, constant urinating? Lower abdomenial pain? When it flares up is it painful after sex? Also have you noticed when you use dht derivative AAS does that tend to aggrevate your prostatitis? The reason I ask is I only cycle once or twice a year. And I like to use low doses now. Im on TRT and I like to do low dose test, tren, mast cycles at around( 250mg, 200mg, 300mg) but I'm concerned about the mast causing issues even at 300mg

Last edited:
This is actually great information, and it's reassuring that you actually grew an organism. You may honestly have more of an acute prostatitis, in which case 4-6 weeks of ABX will LIKELY clear it up.

Doxy is ok. Bactrim DS may be better as trimethoprim has good prostate penetration.

I avoid Cipro in my patients unless they MUST have it based on antimicrobial resistance to other antibiotics.

The unfortunate thing is that a bout of prostatitis (bacterial) can seem to trigger inflammatory cascade that then leads to chronic nonbacterial prostatitis which, as I said above, and others mentioned above, is a nightmare to deal with.

I would also say this to those who suffer from long term "prostatitis". Make sure it's not actually chronic pelvic pain syndrome due to tight levators. If so, then trigger point release via pelvic floor physical therapy can help in a great deal of cases.

Wouldn't be comfortable, but definitely can help. Usually easy to tell on physical exam if one has tight levator muscles. I see it a lot in my military patients who have these symptoms.

I'm not a fan of prostate massage, nor are patients. LoL. It can help a FEW, but may just be placebo effect. Studies don't really show that it helps.

Some guys I see with these symptoms i will scope, and they will have a tight bladder neck, so Flomax helps. Usually there will be obstructive voiding complaints in combo with the prostatitis symptoms, though.

Thank you for the post, I'm hoping the doxycycline will work. I wanted to ask. If the unfortunately did turn into chronic prostatitis, would dht derivative AAS cause flare ups? The only ones I'm concerned with is masteron and Anavar. I only cycle once or twice a year now and prefer low doses. (For example a test, tren, mast cycle at 250mg, 200mg, and 300mg) do you feel this would possible cause issues? Thanks for your time! ***** Sorry didn't see your answer above until after I responded.

Last edited:
more info . . .

All good info. Thanks.

Bactrim did work for me. But if memory serves, it must have stopped working, developed a resistance,
hence now the ‘quinolones’.

Prostate massage . . . there was a doctor in the Philippines who promoted this years(?) ago. (I had my
wife do this for me but to no effect.) He would prescribe a wide range of drugs to cure you at his
clinic. He was very controversial, deemed a quack by many.

When I had my first bout of prostatitis, hell back in the 70’s, my Urologist would massage my prostate
to secrete prostate fluid onto a small plate of glass which he would then, run, not walk with it back to
his lab where he would examine it under a microscope for cloudiness (?). When it was clear, I was ‘cured’.
And I was. Definitely ‘old school’. They don’t do this anymore. See below.

FYI, my last bout of prostatitis was worsened by my last rectal prostate massage / finger wave (checking
for cancer). I was in the recovery stages of a bout prostatitis and because of this procedure, my prostatitis
became far far worse, perhaps the most painful ever. I told this to his, sadly after the fact, and he said that
was why they no longer used the procedure I mentioned above as it has the potential worsening the infection.

I am good now, have not had a flare-up in well over a year, perhaps two. As a function of time, they seem
to less and less severe and less frequent. Don’t know if I will ever be fully cured but I can easily live with
it now.

The supplements I take that help with prostatitis among other things are
Zinc
Selenium
Quercetin
Bromelain
Vitamin E
Knudsens cranberry juice
Cucurmin
Lovaza
Ginger
pomegranite juice
Cherry juice
When it flairs up it's like sitting on a rock, there is a discharge, and some pain and burning, with lower back and pelvic scrotum pain.
Sucks and I hate to talk about it. Yea when the doc hits the gland it feels bad but 10 different docs have all told me the prostrate feels normal not enlarged or different.

I feel for u bro. Few years back I dealt with it.. I cycled all the antibiotics listed above by others for 18 months and it just kept coming back and then it dawned on me to try finasteride to aid in shrinking the prostate. Bingo. Relief within 2 weeks along with one more cycle of antibiotics. I forget the dosage but i think it was 1-2.5mg/day which i kept up with for 3 months roughly and it hasn't been an issue since. Hope this helps

I feel for u bro. Few years back I dealt with it.. I cycled all the antibiotics listed above by others for 18 months and it just kept coming back and then it dawned on me to try finasteride to aid in shrinking the prostate. Bingo. Relief within 2 weeks along with one more cycle of antibiotics. I forget the dosage but i think it was 1-2.5mg/day which i kept up with for 3 months roughly and it hasn't been an issue since. Hope this helps

So did your Dr prescribe the finasteride for your prostatitis? Or did you just try this on your own and it happened to work?

Avodart is better than proscar for bph, cialis works as well in their medical claims for the drug tadalafil.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131