over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Techniques to increase Bench Press

BigMatt

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
How do you increase bench press?

I saw a video of a guy who bench press in a power rack, he put the slidders really low and just press the weight up, but dont lower it too his chest(The slidders stop the bar from going lower too his chest).

Is this the best way to increase bench press slowly?

Any techniques you guys use?

How does this work?

I saw a video of a guy who bench press in a power rack, he put the slidders really low and just press the weight up, but dont lower it too his chest(The slidders stop the bar from going lower too his chest).

How does this work?

I dont really like spotters touching bar or assists from equipment like a smith machine (but i'll have someone watch me just in case). Im a 3 rep max guy. Not 1 rep max. 3 means i can handle wait. 1 means im just pushing for dear life. So for example im lifting 315lbs for 3 and struggled to get the 3rd rep. I will keep doing 315 every week for 3 until i can struggle for a 4th. When i get the 4th that means the next week i go and add 5lbs onto the bar. Then most likely i will struggle to get 3 for a while and wont add wait again till i struggle to get #4 again. Ive been doing it this way for long time and it works great for me. Problem is you will hit a plateau at some point if your bodyweight is staying the same. You will need more muscle to lift more weight. So i weigh 190lb at 5'8" and 335lb is my 3 rep max lift. Ive not been able to get past that without adding more bodyweight. If i bumped up to 195lb id get past it.

Last edited:
Implement bench press from the floor 5x5 or 4x6-8. This is great way to improve bench press. Remember to put the weight down for a second and pull it up again, and do this as many times as you have in your set. Make sure also that your elbows are touching or are as close to the floor as possible and legs are laying straight on the floor as well.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Professional Muscle mobile app

well . . .

Hey BigMatt,

First I would question why you are doing bench presses? A very very dangerous movement,
if done on a bench. But if you persist in doing to do them it is much better and safer doing
them on the floor. And there are much better, safer exercises for developing the chest,
assuming that is your goal But that is not addressing your question, I am straying off topic.
Sorry.

If I really wanted to increase my bench press I would do strictly negatives. But that would
require the use of two ‘helpers’ to lift the weight for you so all you had to do was lower
it. 1 – 3 sets of negatives only, 1 – 2 times a week would be sufficient to see significant
progress. Please be mindful that it is easier to overtrain with negatives.

An example . . .

In 1973, a weightlifting team was formed at DeLand High School, Florida. The team trained
with only slow (mostly eccentric-only) weight training. Starting in 1973, and with no previous
experience in weightlifting, the team established what is probably a world sporting record:
the team was undefeated and untied for seven years, winning over 100 consecutive weight-
lifting competitions.

Ellington Darden said . . . “I remember in 1973 we went over to DeLand High School and
took a bunch of photos of the state championship team. One guy really stood out. He was
about 6'1" and weighed 225 pounds. And at 18 years of age he had cleaned and jerked 330
pounds and bench pressed 410 pounds. Several years later, the high school had a kid who
weighed 188 pounds, and this is no joke, he bench pressed 500 pounds at the state meet . . .
and he was only a 17 years old. I talked with him several times and he did a lot of negative
bench presses, negative dips, and negative pullovers.”

I would give negatives a try and report back to us with your progress. I think you will be
surprised at how well negatives work.

Are you training for power lifting competitions?

How does this work?

What youre describing are called pin presses. Theyre great for building explosiveness off the chest and helping guys get through that sticking point in a competition bench press. That being said....what are your goals here? Are you a powerlifter or a bodybuilder?

What youre describing are called pin presses. Theyre great for building explosiveness off the chest and helping guys get through that sticking point in a competition bench press. That being said....what are your goals here? Are you a powerlifter or a bodybuilder?
Strickly bodybuilding.

My goal is to increase my bench too 315x8.

Currently at 245 for 8 reps.

the easiest way, is to grow more muscles.....

so, it don't look to good for you....:(

the easiest way, is to grow more muscles.....

so, it don't look to good for you....:(

haha, your a funny guy Tenny thats why im going to kill you last!

I'm not an advanced lifter, well not around here anyway, but I'm confused what is the purpose of increasing the weight you need to use to work your chest with bench press unless you're some type of athlete that needs as much strength as possible? Wouldn't it actually be a good a thing that you can get the same workout using less weight in regards to injury and general stress on your body?

Is it something you want just for gym cred? Honestly I'm not trying to be a dick I am curious what I'm missing.

I'm not an advanced lifter, well not around here anyway, but I'm confused what is the purpose of increasing the weight you need to use to work your chest with bench press unless you're some type of athlete that needs as much strength as possible? Wouldn't it actually be a good a thing that you can get the same workout using less weight in regards to injury and general stress on your body?

Is it something you want just for gym cred? Honestly I'm not trying to be a dick I am curious what I'm missing.

The heavier the weight,mix with Proper nutrition, The bigger your going to be.

Someone who bench 135x8 vs someone who bench 315x8 is going to be different in Upper body mass.

Increase the strength in your triceps will help your bench.

Strickly bodybuilding.

My goal is to increase my bench too 315x8.

Currently at 245 for 8 reps.

I know plenty of guys who bench less than that on a regular basis who have phenomenal chests. I think you've got your goals a bit wrong if youre bodybuilding. Yes...progressive overload is great, but strength isn't the only way to progress...and it starts getting dangerous for a muscle like the pecs. Work smarter...not heavier

I know plenty of guys who bench less than that on a regular basis who have phenomenal chests. I think you've got your goals a bit wrong if youre bodybuilding. Yes...progressive overload is great, but strength isn't the only way to progress...and it starts getting dangerous for a muscle like the pecs. Work smarter...not heavier

From what i experienced.

The heavier i increase my bench, The bigger my chest get.

I guess i should up the protein.Just a mental barrier to increase to 315.

Last edited:
BigMatt's talking about kgs here guys...

Dude's a savage

From what i experienced.

of course your chest is going to grow if u increase wt on the bench & train in the hypertrophy rep range. yes up the food a little too. how much protein u having atm ?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

From what i experienced.

Do you have pics of your chest pressing less and pressing now? ;):D

Some could bench more and use mainly other muscles to do that. Although we constantly hear about progressive overload on here (all very true) it's not just about increasing your bench to get a bigger chest. The same can be said for every body part. I used to squat and leg press big weight with good form for 10-12 reps and my legs still looked crap :eek::D

But sure you are only helping yourself if you slowly increase the weight with good form on any movement over time. My chest has improved a lot in the last year and I mainly attribute that to lowering the weight and really feeling the chest activate on every rep. In addition to trying to use that same mind/muscle connection when pressing bigger weight.

Have you seen any James Grage videos on you-tube?

Look for Ed Coan on youtube. I remember him talking about this on some video.

Didn't read everyone's response, but my advice is simple: Bench press more. You're not going to increase your bench press by using some crazy exercise. It's like saying, "If you want to get better at playing basketball, you should play hockey."

Compound lifts are a skill. Improve the skill through repeated motor patterns.

On a side note, strengthening triceps would aid in overall pressing strength. So I would incorporate floor presses, close grip bench, and dips.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws