over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Intra workout shakes

rmtt

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
So since I was out of the "game" for so long, have their been any updates in what you guys are doing for intra-workout nutrition?

Thanks to Elvia, I am now well versed on pre-workout supplements and what my body seems to like.

I train between 3:30am - 4:00am each morning before work as the afternoon crowds are mostly there for social interest, so I do train in a fasted state most of the time except on weekends when I can get a couple of meals in me before going to the gym.

I actually do prefer to train fasted as I assume my body has just become accustomed to it aside from what may be left over from the previous meal the night before.

Haven't really done much research on intra-workout stuff as I was out of the gym for almost two years.

I do take a Hydrolyzed whey mixed with slower proteins and a carb source that are about a 50/50 ratio the moment I finish my workout.....but I don't want to shortchange myself by missing out on any goodies I could be sipping on during my workouts.

So what are most of you guys doing now?

Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

So since I was out of the "game" for so long, have their been any updates in what you guys are doing for intra-workout nutrition?

Thanks to Elvia, I am now well versed on pre-workout supplements and what my body seems to like.

I train between 3:30am - 4:00am each morning before work as the afternoon crowds are mostly there for social interest, so I do train in a fasted state most of the time except on weekends when I can get a couple of meals in me before going to the gym.

I actually do prefer to train fasted as I assume my body has just become accustomed to it aside from what may be left over from the previous meal the night before.

Haven't really done much research on intra-workout stuff as I was out of the gym for almost two years.

I do take a Hydrolyzed whey mixed with slower proteins and a carb source that are about a 50/50 ratio the moment I finish my workout.....but I don't want to shortchange myself by missing out on any goodies I could be sipping on during my workouts.

So what are most of you guys doing now?

Thanks!

It's not essential by I love my intra shakes. Although if you have one you wouldn't need your post workout shake. You could still have it but I would recommend a post workout wholefood meal. Ideally you want a base of either peptopro or EAA's for protein and HBCD's, Vitargo or Karboload for carbs. There are many others but they are the best in my opinion.

Then there are other aids that could be added and everyone has different likes/dislikes. I recommend glutamine, taurine, citrulline malate, beta alanine, creatine etc etc.

At the moment I am using 2 scoops of Gaspari Size On, 25g vitargo, eaa's (varies), 5g taurine, 8g citrulline malate, 4g beta alanine and 10g glutamine. All that is obviously not needed but I think they really help with recovery, fullness, pumps and or course I like a nice flavoured drink when training. I have a 2.2 litre jug and drink that and refill it when it's half way down so I am having about 3 litres intra training. This is one of the reasons I can basically train hard most days and be fine the next day.

I tried a bunch of intra shakes but have to say without the insulin im not sure if any of them are worth the time or the money....im not convinced that without the insulin they get into the muscle cells....maybe others can give their opinion if they saw results without insulin being present.....60 grams carbs/50 grams isolate/ and 15iu humalin r does the trick for me intra followed by another 75 grams carbs and 50 grams isolate post

I tried a bunch of intra shakes but have to say without the insulin im not sure if any of them are worth the time or the money....im not convinced that without the insulin they get into the muscle cells....maybe others can give their opinion if they saw results without insulin being present.....60 grams carbs/50 grams isolate/ and 15iu humalin r does the trick for me intra followed by another 75 grams carbs and 50 grams isolate post

Insulin definitely helps but I still use them without and they still work. But sure a little insulin pre workout is not a bad thing :D

One of the bigger concerns that I had about adding an intra-workout shake was if it was too much stuff, would it pull blood away from the muscles being trained to aide with digestion. So following that aspect, I'm assuming something that absorbs fast would be the thing to go with.

As far as the post workout shake goes, I would probably need to keep it in as when I get to work, I really don't know how soon it would be before I could get a whole meal food in. Some days I would be able to eat within an hour of finishing my workout, But most days I come in to experience a ton of issues that may have me tied up for hours between meetings and any emergencies or problems that the previous work shift may have ran into as we have a very dynamic operation. Getting food in during work hours has always been tricky as I never really have a set schedule to eat. Plus I like to take as much nutrition as my body can process in after my workout in the form of a shake as I know I can get that one in.

I appreciate the replies and look forward to hearing other strategies as well.

I’ve tried intra-workout shakes for multiple stretches and am not much of a fan. I would rather get plenty of pre-workout nutrition in, followed by large amounts of real food post workout. I think they have their place I’m just not at a level where I need that. I use a lot of the things elvai mentions.

I use 20g EAA , 10g Creatine , 10g Glutamine , 5g Citrulline Malate , 5g Leucine with 50g HBCD
I mix it all in a 1.5 liter water bottle with a couple pink lemonade Crystal light packs.

I get all sups from True Nutrition unflavored.

I can definitely feel a difference in how long I can train with high intensity when I use it.

If not takin insulin, Spike your own. Honey, raisins or any high glycemic carb.
I take a variable amount of different NO products mixed with 30 gms bcaa's plus which has glutamine, creatine and others plus 30-60 carbs and beta alanine Pre. My add oral of choice as well. Plus my hgh 1 hr prior.
Intra: is size-on which supplies more carbs and bcaa's + others. To that I add more carbs 30-60 total and 75 gms whey and egg protein.
This will be readily available when insulin and gh peak!
Post is more carbs + Dk Matter and 75 gms more protein plus taurine to replenish. After plenty of Water to rehydrate and Volumize!
Full meal an hour or so later as I have no real appetite after a hard workout!

Last edited:
I still used the Milos Sarcev shake protocol. Changed my life years ago. I could never get over 220 pounds and was pretty smooth. Now i compete at 225 peeled, that shake protocol had a lot to do with the changes in my body.

I still used the Milos Sarcev shake protocol. Changed my life years ago. I could never get over 220 pounds and was pretty smooth. Now i compete at 225 peeled, that shake protocol had a lot to do with the changes in my body.

I read about it long back and it was something like 20g bcaa, 20g EAA, 50g waxy maize, 10g creatine , 10g glutamine right? Are you using insulin or IGF pre workout too?

Is that the 3 shakes all around the WO?

I literally consume fruit snacks during training. 1 pack (almost 20 grams of carbs) if I train later in the day, and 2 (38 grams) if I train earlier in the morning.

It may just be a moot point for me as I don't use or plan to use insulin. Not saying it's bad...just not for me. Both my parents are diabetics and I am pretty understanding of how to use it, but I'm not regimented enough with my diet to go that route....plus as I'm getting older I see no use for it as I never will be the shape I was in 20 years ago.

So I just try to keep my sensitivity high, and stay lean enough to insure that my body is processing food efficiently. My last A1C levels came back in the 4.6 range. But all things being subjective, I will probably learn one day that a lower than normal A1C is just as detrimental as a higher than normal A1C.

Gunsmith hits it on the head. So long as you have something prior, you should be good, unless your workout is in the 1.5hr + range. It's really a question of length of time and more about the alanine/leucine that "might" be needed if going for LONG durations. But if you hit the 20min of active recovery while doing your PWO drink, you'd probably be better off than any intra stuff.

I just started take intra-shakes again however this time I'm using it with slin. For now I'm going to do, gatorade, bcaa's, micronized creatine, taurine, tmg, and l-carnitine. I'll probably end up picking up another carb source hbcd, or maltodextrin.

If I'm actually relatively fasted I'll usually have a banana right before the gym (~20minutes to get to the gym). Then have a intra shake as well.

I just started take intra-shakes again however this time I'm using it with slin. For now I'm going to do, gatorade, bcaa's, micronized creatine, taurine, tmg, and l-carnitine. I'll probably end up picking up another carb source hbcd, or maltodextrin.

If I'm actually relatively fasted I'll usually have a banana right before the gym (~20minutes to get to the gym). Then have a intra shake as well.
Cool! Keep us up to date on how things seem to go for you if you don't mind.

I wake up 6am take my 5iu HGH shot and down some coffee. Then at 7am I mix up 40 grams whey isolate, 6g L-Citrulline, 3g TMG (Betaine) and 200mg caffeine with large scoop of All Natural Peanut Butter. Then i hit gym a 8am and just drink 40oz water. Then im usually back from gym by 10am and mix up 40 grams whey isolate, 5g Creatine Monohydrate, 3g L-Citrulline, 1 cup oats and 1 banana. That's my morning pre and post workout routine for years now. Then 1 1/2 hours after that lpost workout shake i have my first of 4 remaining meals for the day (eat at 11:30pm, 2:30pm, 5:30pm and last meal 8:30pm). so im almost fasting 12 hours a night based on the time i have my last meal and first morning pre workout shake.

I take 30g BCAA w/ 50g Karbolyn, and sometimes I add a scoop of superfood greens (the powderized stuff) to the shake. I have better sustained energy through my workout with a drink.

Homon has written some really good articles on peri wo nutrition.
I have heard about some of his views vaguely, but I know he is well respected. I will start doing some research into what he recommends.

I think I have my post workout nailed down pretty well.....about 60 grams of a mix of Hydrolyzed whey, egg, and casein protein...and then about 60 grams of which is a 50/50 blend of dextrose and slow releasing oat powder. Preworkout is typically all the recommended stuff I have read about...citrulline, Hydromax, betaine, beet root extract, etc.

My workouts last no longer than 1.5 hours at the longest one, but I have no issues with energy as once I start, I'm good to go for the entire duration.

I just didn't know if I was missing anything by not adding something during the workout.

And I get up so early, it would make it very hard to try and get up any earlier to get something in before I go to the gym without cutting into my sleep schedule. Plus I don't feel good training with something somewhat heavy on my stomach. On the weekends when I do have a couple of meals before the gym...it's still a good hour or so before I workout since I ate last.

Maybe I could try adding in some bcaa's and Eaa's into my Preworkout shake and see how that works out.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bradyfan127