Votes: 0 0.0%
  • more than 60 minutes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mitochondria

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
After getting injured over the years I progressively began lengthening my warm up times. Now it could depend a bit on which body parts you are planning on working that day. I have noticed I warmed up for at least 30 min on average before actually starting the intense workout. Lately I've noticed it sometimes goes up to 45 min which may be me just mentally tired and trying to get in the mood. Some times I see some guys just get in the gym and throw on like 225 or 315 and Im like wtf. How long on average do you take to warm up before starting actual workout.

Last edited:
The older we get the longer the warm up I noticed.
I also have my share of injuries and at 40+. I like to warm up thoroughly pre wo about 15-20 mins.

Define warm up. As in warm up sets? Walking on the treadmill?

Personally my warm up is just a set before I go heavy on a certain work out. An example would be 20 reps 135 on bench. After that I'm g2g

For me a warm up consists of many parts, foam rolling, walking on tread mill then for 5 minutes to get my heart rate up, then onto the workout where i'll do as many warm up sets as necessary which is typically 3. The older i get the more i notice the better i feel, and seem to get a much better workout with an adequate warm up.

I’ll usually do 5 mins on the bike then start with some dynamic stretching for the muscle group I’m working. Leg swings, arm circles etc. then some Burpees or something for a minute or so. Sometimes if I’m feeling really tight I’ll do some static stretching for the muscle I’m working..but only about 5 second holds.. static isn’t the best for pre workout stretches but I feel it helps me.

So all in all maybe 10 minutes

Full body stretching prior to every workout, and more abbreviated stretching post training.

15 minutes dynamic movement depending what I’m training. Mostly to make sure my ancillary muscles and core are firing properly due to years of injuries. Then some static stretching at the end.

I don’t warm up but i do stretches in between every set on leg day.

5-10 minutes or about 3 sets of 15-20 for each bodypart. Legs maybe more.

I don’t understand why anyone would need any longer unless they were previously injured or something else.

Anything longer than 30 minutes is just silly.

at 49 i do...5 minutes on the bike...first 2-3 sets are warm up focusing on gettin a solid stretch...then i get after it!

47 yrs old and as soon as i hit 40 minimum of 20 - 30 minutes with strechig, i find that it greatly reduces injury and aids in preventing the need for breaks from training

31. I do push / pull / legs.

Push starts with 2 sets of cable flys and pull starts with 2 sets of rows or pulldowns, then 1 warmup sets for other muscle groups if needed, like triceps but not traps.

Legs are quad and hamstring days and it's 3 - 4 sets of an isolation exercise.

I just do warm up sets with compound exercises before my working sets. I might do some rowing first if I'm feeling saucy.

The older we get the longer the warm up I noticed.
I also have my share of injuries and at 40+. I like to warm up thoroughly pre wo about 15-20 mins.

So true. Especially on leg day, after stretching and foam rolling I need to do a gazillion sets of leg extensions to warm up my knees.

I'm old so it takes a lot of time. Sucks but that's just the way it is now.

5 min walking on treadmill while pumping arms to warm up elbows
2-3 min on Airdyne bike

Then usually 10-15 min of mobility work. Mostly for shoulders but I also do some lacrosse ball rolling on the forearms. Mobility work consists of mostly stuff I've pulled off Youtube from Kelly Starrett and Trevor Bachmeir (SmashWerx)

Then after the above is completed. To start say a chest work out with Flat DB Press it would be: 45's for 20, 55's for 15, 65's for 8, 80, for 4, 100's for 2, then I'd start my first "working set" with the 110's.

I stretch and foam roll on leg day between my warm up sets. Usually it's 6-7 small sets of squats for a warm up.

I don't think you're even warmed up till you do finish that first hard fucking set. The warm up sets are just to get you there without hurting yourself.

Leg extensions 4 set of 30 reps, to warm up knees and get the system pumping. To warm up upper body I do high cable woodchops, a few set of 20 reps to left and 20 the the right.

I personally don't like stretching before a work out, makes my joints feel too loose, post workout stretching is more beneficial to my recovery.

A Hot shower A.M. and Coffee.
Then Pyramid Up in weight, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 with a minutes rest in between.
Then 30 seconds rest working back down. 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12.
Off to my next 3-4 exercises starting at my heaviest and working down.

10 min cardio ->
2 warming up exercises for pre activation 10-15 working the weight up does the trick for me.

My Warm-up Routine has definitely changed over the years.
It use to be just a couple minutes of Dynamic Stretching, then doing Warm-up Sets and Incrementally increasing my Weight.

These Days being in the Over 60 Crowd.
I do at least 15 Minutes of Dynamic Stretching, before starting my Warm-up sets.
And depending on how I fell that day, I may Increase the amount of Warm-up.

As you get Older, you Must pay Attention to how your Body is feeling on any particular day.
I've even gone so far as to change my Workout from Low-Rep Heavy Sets, to Higher-Rep Lighter Sets in the Middle of my Routine.................... JP
P.S.
If you're Not Feeling it, Don't Push It.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws