over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

STORYTIME WITH LATS.AN UPDATE..

LATS

Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
Staff member
Registered
ok.. everyone should remember (except for maybe the newer members) the story i wrote regarding my buddy who trained very similar to phil's theories.. i still accuse him of "stealing" the idea but, he denies it with the usual "listen dumbass.. i didnt steal.. shut the %$$# UP".. well.. i dont need to tell ya .. that stings.. even after all these years.. sniff:( .. anyway back to the story.. well, as some know he basically quite training for about a year.. no weights.. but, his awesome genetics actually kept him in great shape.. he still looked like he trained but, that is a whole different story lol.. fickin' genes..:mad:
anyway he has been training again and took up where he left off.. last weekend he came up and stayed for awhile.. i hate giving him any compliments but, he is a very astute thinker.. he analyses everything to the extreme.. we sometimes have some heated debates over training nutrition ect (i dont have the heart to tell him i agree with most of what he says.. and some of it he took from me and made it his own.. but, he calls me names and i kind of enjoy it..:confused: sad really)
anyway we went to my garage to bust out some training.. we train the same so it takes little to no modification for us to train together.. one thing he said he had changed was the frequency.. he now trains each muscle three times a week instead of two.. i asked him what he doing to help recovery to be able to train this frequent.. two times i can do.. three.. forget it.. he told me "i dumbed it down a little..". i guess the look i had on my face.. the catatonic stare.. spittle forming in the corner of my mouth.. prompted him to explain further.. "i no longer train to total failure like we used to do.. i stop it short.. usually a rep..and really concentrate on form.." what he essentially is doing is the same workout he has been doing but, trying to put less of a strain on his cns.. he is trying to get more frequency in for each bodypart.. the only way he saw that he could do this is by lowering the intensity.. he does not want to lower the sets.. we both agreed that 3 sub max sets are more beneficial than one all out set.. we have always agreed that the "enviroment" for growth was the most important element.. not high volume workouts.. a constant "anabolic enviroment".. phil also agreed that the metabolic process is actually the most beneficial.. i dont want to talk for phil.. there was a thread recently were we talked about this if ya search..
so what does all this mean?.. well , ill let the abusive master tell ya .." if one takes anabolics and has the proper nutrition he will add some muscle without training. he has given his body a "enviroment" for growth.. now.. throw some stimulus in there.. bang.. more growth .. keep throwing stimulus in there.. more bang..get it?".. so there is the theory.. what happens if anabolic are not in the mix?.."well.. it is the same.. create the essential metabolic processes and you get growth.. too much stimulus.. on gear or not.. will hinder growth..of course training natural will make the gains less.. but, they will still be there.."
so what did he do?.. well.. that day was "upper body" day.. so here is what we did in a nut shell.. we started with chest a couple of warmup sets and then .. 3 sets of flat dumbell presses .. 1) 5-6 reps 2) 9-10 3) around 15 reps.. (again.. stopping about 1 rep short..) back 3 sets .. 1 sets of 5-6 reps on the rack deads.. then two sets of dumbell row for 9-10 reps then 11-13 reps..delts (three sets of incline side laterals 8-9, 6-7, 11-13.. next triceps.. decline dumbell extensions.. two sets- 8-9, then 5-6, than dips for max reps around 12-15.. then shrugs.. only two sets of 10-12..
now since he went home i asked him to give me his second upper body workout of the week he did 72 hours later.. chest - 3 sets.. incline smith- 5-6 reps.. barbell floor press- 9-10 reps.. wide grip dip- max for around 15 reps.. back- three sets -t bar row in corner - 5-6 reps, 8-10 reps, then chins for 12-15 reps.. delts - standing military press 8-9, 5-6, 12-15.. triceps.. overhead dumbell ext..9-10, 7-9, 12-15.. legs, biceps, abs and calves are hit on the other days..
as for exercises.. it really does not matter.. he mixes it up.. some days it just one exercise a body part.. sometimes three.. it just depends on his mood.. he just wants constant stimulus.. on bodyparts that he feels need more of a warmup or he has joint concern he will do a lighter 10 reps set before his heavier 6 rep set.. on others.. he reverses it.. his biggest concern is clean eating.. and supplying his body with nutients and not overtraining.. the switching of exercises is also for his peace of mind.. he does not want to feel weaker..which can happen on some days.. than he was the workout before.. this way he does not have a .. well.. let down lol.. he loves the new workout and looks forward to his training days.. he believes that if he would have reinged in the intensity years ago he would be much larger than today.. who knows.. you may not agree with his methods.. but, it is something more to digest..
as for gear.. we all want to know about gear lol.. he has his favorites.. test, tren ect.. but, for the last two months he has been on 750 mgs of test cyp and 400 deca.. no gh yet..(he says he cant afford it now.. but, he does love it).. all else he takes is multi vits, and the essential oils, niacin, ect..
he is looking to do the juniors next year.. he has already won the state title and many regional.. his last attempt at the juniors was aweful since he got food poisoning three days before and backed out..thats what happens when ya eat chicken ya cooked three days before.. but.. i 'm the dumbass..:rolleyes: he looked great though.. when we were training last weekend he was weighing 229 and very lean.. not bad for a guy who is only 5'6 to 5'7..and only back in training for about 6 months.. i have video of him taken this weekend.. i am trying to get my wife to get it to you guys since she is the video savvy person in the family..ill keep on her.. ill withhold all sex until she does it.. who am i kiddin'.. the is a sexual camel.. she can go along time without it.. :rolleyes: ill keep on her anyway..:D
he is coming back this weekend and we are hitting legs, bi's ect.. ill let ya know what we do and hopefully get some pics.. he gets pissy about that.. i only put them on rectalrangers.com once and he gets all pissed about it still..;)

Last edited:
Great post brother....we were needing another story time

That training split and set/rep protocol is what I'm doing M-W-F and Im loving it. Been out of the gym due to injuries for about 6 months and the workouts and strength are comeing along.

Can't wait to hear how leg day goes

another great story time with lats...always look forward to them.

one question for you though lats....how do you do decline dumbell extensions for tri's? could you explain please?

herc, grab two dumbells.. place them at the end of the decline bench on their bells.. in other words so they are resting on the plates and horizontal.. lay back and grab the handles and kind do a pullover to get them into place.. you should be holding the dumbells like you would hold a hammer curl.. the plates should be touching the tops of the shoulder or front delts.. extend the arms.. when extended it should look like you just completed a decline fly.. now slowly lower the bells until the plates touch the delts and the hands are along the side of your head..palms facing your head.. extend again.. slow and controlled to protect your elbows.. experiment with the decline position.. i like about a 30 degree decline.. when you have completed your set ..the bells should be at your delts.. reverse the pullover motion and place them on the floor.. hope that helps..:D

LATS,

Nice story. How much weight did he lose (or gain) and how did his body comp. change when he stopped training?...

So, looks like an upper / lower (2 day split), training six times / week?... (You said he hits everything 3 x / week, but then you said his next workout for the upper body was 72 hr later, which could have been on a Mon. after a Friday workout...(?)...)

Lookin' forward to the video, too.

Sorry 'bout living with the camel, my man.

-R

Glad you posted this!!

Lats,

I was waiting on an update on your friend and his trainig methods ever since I read the other post, which I love. I'm glad you wrote this and will be studying it as I do all of your posts - and Phil's posts.

Maybe the best method to train would be the protocol you outlined here for a while and then training to complete failure for a while, cycling back and forth between intensities while keeping the same principles in place.

In other words the only thing I woulid change every 6 months (or who knows what the magic number is in terms of time) would be complete failure and 1 rep short of failure. This way you're giving your CNS a break but at the same time pushing your absolute limits for a while too.

Looking forward to pics of your friend and that video!!

thanks for sharing LATS

I always like your Story Times. :)

Last edited:
Great post Lats. This is very similiar to what i feel is the best way to train. I think hitting failure can be beneficial one week out of say 4 then going sub max and building up again so you do benefit from both methods.
Other than that this is on the money. Thier are some who say they find no benefit in training 3x a week over 2 but others who swear on 3x a week.
This is the kind of routine CS Sloan or Anthony Ditillio recommended but they used more sets such as 5-7. You have others that say 2 sets is all thats needed to produce hypertrophy.

RC

LATS......
Hey man, long time no see. About this training. How come only 1 set of chest? Is it b/c you're training delts along w/ it?
Also, as a DC'er I was wondering if you are you still fond of his principles? Seems your program is a lot like it w/out the R/P sets. Overload and frequency seems to be the key in both programs. You think DC is too harsh on the CNS? I'm not in any way criticising anything DC b/c I love the program personally and have had great results....just wanting your $.02 my man.

TH

Keep on doing the "Storytime with Lats"...

These stories are always informative and fun.:cool:

Lats

The stories are always good bro. Its only been a week since my comp., but hearing things like this plus reading other training theories similar is making me ITCH to get back in the gym already. This sounds like a great way to train esp. after just doing a show. Enough stimulus for the muscles plus the "rebound" effect. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Chest

Trulyhuge said:
LATS......
Hey man, long time no see. About this training. How come only 1 set of chest? Is it b/c you're training delts along w/ it?

Actually, he's doing 3 sets.

From the post above:

"we started with chest a couple of warmup sets and then .. 3 sets of flat dumbell presses .. 1) 5-6 reps 2) 9-10 3) around 15 reps.. "

powerforward said:
finally! a new storytime with lats!

i love readin these.. thanks lats!

My thoughts exactly... Your the Man Lats. Great story and information as always.

HEY RANDY,
he hit the upper body on sat, tues, friday.. the lower that week was on the alternate days .. he will take a day off when needed.. on those weeks it might only hit a bodypart twice.. but, that is pretty rare.. as for weight gain or loss.. it is funny.. when he stopped training he was roughly 238-240.. after a year of no training and eating pretty pathetic he was 214 pounds when i saw him and fairly lean.. still alot of mass.. traps still big.. delts looked great and still had great strength.. the average person who did not know him would honestly believe that he was hitting it hard.... he is one of the chosen few lol..

Last edited:
LATS, I love the stories, man. Definitely.

Its always tough with this kind of info., though On the one hand, the principles make sense and seem that match "proven" ways of training (Phil, DC, etc.).

On the other hand, if there's really not that much of a big difference for him between clean n' no training vs. training and juice, and we suspect the juice is helping a certain amount, then I wonder how valuable his training info. is. The other obvious piece is nutrition.

What's his diet like, on vs. off?...

-Randy

LATS said:
HEY RANDY,
he hit the upper body on sat, tues, friday.. the lower that week was on the alternate days .. he will take a day off when needed.. on those weeks it might only hit a bodypart twice.. but, that is pretty rare.. as for weight gain or loss.. it is funny.. when he stopped training he was roughly 238-240.. after a year of no training and eating pretty pathetic he was 214 pounds when i saw him and fairly lean.. still alot of mass.. traps still big.. delts looked great and still had great strength.. the average person who did not know him would honestly believe that he was hitting it hard.... he is one of the chosen few lol..

Damn Lats I love reading your stories. He sure is a lucky bastard lol...

Lats ..........hope you are well my friend ............Thanks for your recent posts .[always appreciated by me ] How did your friends other workout look ? [ legs , biceps , forearms , abs , clafs ect...] I would like to see a few of his workouts if you see this ...........

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws