over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

swing shits and sleep

2BIGFRED

Registered
swing shifts and sleep

I work 12 hour swing shifts for work.I have been doing this for 3 years now and ever since I started my sleep sucks.My body does not know when to sleep.I have tried the natural stuff melatonin,valerian root, and gaba none of it worked.So I finally went to my Dr. and he gave me ambien and xanax to take (my Dr is a good Dr and doesnt freak out when you need something).He said he understood about the swing shifts as he works in the ER a lot.I tried the xanax first and .5mg did nothing then 1mg nothing then 2mg would put me out for about 2 hours then im up.Well the ambien knocks me out helps me sleep and I feel great in the mornings.I hate to have to take this stuff but it seems its my only choice becaue I love my job and I have a family!On my days off I try not to take anything but sometimes I will have too or I will be up all night.My question is does anybody on here have to take ambien and does anyone have any suggestions or see anything wrong with the ambien.

Thanks

Last edited:
I work 12 hour swing shifts for work.I have been doing this for 3 years now and ever since I started my sleep sucks.My body does not know when to sleep.I have tried the natural stuff melatonin,valerian root, and gaba none of it worked.So I finally went to my Dr. and he gave me ambien and xanax to take (my Dr is a good Dr and doesnt freak out when you need something).He said he understood about the swing shifts as he works in the ER a lot.I tried the xanax first and .5mg did nothing then 1mg nothing then 2mg would put me out for about 2 hours then im up.Well the ambien knocks me out helps me sleep and I feel great in the mornings.I hate to have to take this stuff but it seems its my only choice becaue I love my job and I have a family!On my days off I try not to take anything but sometimes I will have too or I will be up all night.My question is does anybody on here have to take ambien and does anyone have any suggestions or see anything wrong with the ambien.Thanks

I worked shifts for over 3 years and everytime I had night shifts I would struggle. I thought ambien was a godsend untill I started to get immune to it. And I would sleep walk and sleep eat- would wake up asleep in the kitchen with food everywhere.

I found one or a half good, if it put me to sleep. But when you start needing more to sleep then you have trouble, and you wake up mega-drowsey.

Careful driving in the morning bro.

I had a lot of trouble sleeping , tried ambien but doctor told me it was addictive . Told me to look in the allergy section at walgreens or target and get a bottle of allergy meds with only diphenhydramine in it . That is the active ingredient in benadryl that makes you tired. Works great for me I take one 25mg tab a night , if I want to sleep really good I take 2 . Hope that helps .

b boy is the one to talk to about swing shifts

my brother works them and i worked night and days for years. You just have to push through adn get sleep when you can. it is all about time managment.

Oh God!

I work Swing shift and mid shift 6 months out of the year... its 3 months straight no days off.. boy it messes up eating habits..workout, everything... I got so confused what to do... I didn't tak any pills.. try to change your workout schedule after work.... so you go to sleep and grow....

Its not my workout shedule that gets messed up I can workout on my lunch at work.Its just falling asleep for me because my body stays messsed up from going from nights to days.Ambien seems to be the only thing to put me out keep me there and not make me feel hungover.

the official diagnosis is "SHIFT WORKERS SYNDROME" i thought my doctor just made this up but it is real, i have it. provigil is a god send but is pretty expensive. fortunately for me melatonin and generic sleep aid from walmart get me to sleep so i dont need ambien or anything yet, though i eventually feel i will need something stronger.

had sleep apnea and shift workers syndrome together, life was pure hell. the apnea is cured but still dealing with the other.

oh i and i have been up and working since 3am:eek: still gotta go to the gym

it is also much more difficult to build muscle and even harder to loose fat living like this.

I am right there with you on the night shifts and I have been doing them for 4 years. I don't think there are any easy answers. Ambien works well for a lot of my co-workers but dependence and tolerance is a real concern. Diphenhydramine can make people drowsy for the next day.
The only thing I have found is establishing an anchor sleep time. Find 3-4 hours during the day where you sleep, even on days off. I try and sleep every day from 7-11. I then adjust, going to bed early on days off and sleeping later on days I work. It takes mornings away from families on days off, but I guess thats why we get paid more to do the swing shifts.

isnt it great to think that working these types of hours can take an estimated 5-10 years off your life expectancy

I work 6-2 M-F, I love it, I miss traffic driving to and from work, and I feel like I have the rest of the day to play

I have the same issue working construction. I got my sleep so messed up that my body just couldn't figure it out anymore. I tried all the natural stuff and then gave Ambiena go - I found that Lunesta actually works much better for me. I don't have the "hung over" feeling the next morning, but I have a horrible metallic taste in my mouth for about 6 hours the next morning.

So do you all think the ambien is ok too take on the rough nights?Any other time I will do the melatonin.3mg of melatonin does nothing is 6mg too much too try?

Does the title of this thread say "Swing Shits"...LOL:p

I have taken 6 mg of melatonin on a regular basis help and maybe a cap or 2 of benadryl and also take to caps of powerfuLL from usp labs and sleep is very good deep sleep. I swear on the powerfull after 5 hours of sleep I could get up and that is all I need.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws