YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

PWO shake: replace carbs with medium-chain triglycerides (MCT)?

Curiousity

Registered
Can a person effectively replace carbs with MCTs (i.e. coconut oil) in their PWO shake?

So the point of carbs in the PWO is to provide energy for the body to shuttle the PWO protein around and start repairing the muscles with a secondary purpose of creating an insulin spike. It seems that the insulin spike is more of a personal thing as I have seen many people state that they personally find it better to take slow digesting carbs (which would minimize/lessen that insulin spike.)

So the insulin spike halts cortisol to minimize muscle breakdown, but it also stops fat burning in its tracks too. If the the primary goal is cutting (while maintaining muscle), wouldn't it make sense to find a way to provide your body the energy source while allowing fat burning to continue?

Having recently discovered coconut oil, I started looking for more information. It seems that the MCTs in coconut oil are quickly absorbed by the body and used as energy.

I'm curious what people's thoughts on this are.

Last edited:
Its worth a try. Let us know how it goes.
For me, its Waxy Maize & BCAA's PWO then 40g whey isolate 30 min later. Insulin is the #1 anabolic. I'd rather spend 3 hours building & repairing then worry about burning fat later on.

I would have to agree with this. I have been using Volumaize leading up to and during my workout. When I get home I have 40g's of Optimum Nutrition Whey G.S. (sorry, I'm cheap, and protein is not going down in price lately)

Its worth a try. Let us know how it goes.
For me, its Waxy Maize & BCAA's PWO then 40g whey isolate 30 min later. Insulin is the #1 anabolic. I'd rather spend 3 hours building & repairing then worry about burning fat later on.

I tried this for 10 days. I did lose fat since I was only getting ~1g carbs per day (plus ~25g fiber), but it drove me crazy.

Also due to low glycogen level in my muscle (assuming, but I think it's a fair assumption), my lifts dropped down in weight.

I won't be trying this again.

Can a person effectively replace carbs with MCTs (i.e. coconut oil) in their PWO shake?

So the point of carbs in the PWO is to provide energy for the body to shuttle the PWO protein around and start repairing the muscles with a secondary purpose of creating an insulin spike. It seems that the insulin spike is more of a personal thing as I have seen many people state that they personally find it better to take slow digesting carbs (which would minimize/lessen that insulin spike.)

So the insulin spike halts cortisol to minimize muscle breakdown, but it also stops fat burning in its tracks too. If the the primary goal is cutting (while maintaining muscle), wouldn't it make sense to find a way to provide your body the energy source while allowing fat burning to continue?

Having recently discovered coconut oil, I started looking for more information. It seems that the MCTs in coconut oil are quickly absorbed by the body and used as energy.

I'm curious what people's thoughts on this are.

If you search for some of my posts youll find a thread on this very issue on why Carbs are overated in BB. Outside of Pre and Post they provide very little in terms of growth promotion - contrary to what the magazines have rammed down our throats.

here was one - http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28815

Last edited:
If you search for some of my posts youll find a thread on this very issue on why Carbs are overated in BB. Outside of Pre and Post they provide very little in terms of growth promotion - contrary to what the magazines have rammed down our throats.

here was one - http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28815

Thanks Jayuk. I read through that post and look at some of your other posts as well.

EDIT: Jayuk, I read through that thread and a couple of other ones. Interesting idea, but it won't work for me long term. I could see myself using it for cutting (as I'm essentially doing now, but I found I needed to add carbs to my pre- and post-WO meal... as you are advocating); but I can't see myself using this as a long term diet. I personally think that fresh fruit and veggies are too important and should be included at every meal (with the possible exception of WO meals.) This would not allow me to make the shift that you are talking about in the thread above. Thank you for the comment. It was interesting reading and very close to what I'm trying to do at this moment.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity