over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

knee wraps after injury

GymDudeVA

Registered
Hello, I ruptured my quad tendon (between quads and kneecap), had surgery, and am now starting PT. When I do get back, in a few weeks, to somewhat normal training, I think I should wrap it for a while (or not?). If so, what sort of wrap/sleeve, should it cover the knee or leave the joint uncovered, how tight or loose, etc. I look at the variety of wraps around, and suggestions on how to wrap, and I am bewildered, for example,

http://www.prowriststraps.com/knee_wrap_powerlifting_knee_wrap_exercise_weight_lifting

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/knee.html

http://www.prowriststraps.com/knee_wrap_powerlifting_knee_wrap_exercise_weight_lifting

Are some more for powerlifting, and others more for bodybuilding support like I may need? Advice as to wrapping my knee after this kind of injury/surgery (well after the advised healing time, of course)? Thanks. Would the physical therapists likely to have any advice? Thanks!!!

both my quad tendons have been bothering me really bad to the piont i was thinking of giving up squats. so yesterday i said screw it ima use wraps and let me tell you it was great it took away all the pain and for once i was able to really focus on the muscle and moving the weight. i will not ever do squats again without wraps. just thought id share that.

Gymdude since you had a rupture dont wrap your knee let your muscles tendons and ligiments surrounding the knee strengthen without support

Was it a total or partial tear?

I have totally ruptured that very same quad tendon and had surgery to repair. After 6 weeks in locked extension for it to reattach and heal, I started several months of PT to get my mobility and strength back. After that time, my ortho surgeon told me I could do any leg exercises I wanted, but to always make sure my feet were on a flat surface. I was told never to do leg extensions again.

I would shy away from knee wraps after this. That's only my opinion though. I guess after going through that hell, I don't even want to risk over-loading my knees again

Gymdude since you had a rupture dont wrap your knee let your muscles tendons and ligiments surrounding the knee strengthen without support

Yeah that kinda makes since...just go lighter at first, as needed.

I'm just worried about EVER doing heavy leg presses etc. again....that will be scary at first...

I have totally ruptured that very same quad tendon and had surgery to repair. After 6 weeks in locked extension for it to reattach and heal, I started several months of PT to get my mobility and strength back. After that time, my ortho surgeon told me I could do any leg exercises I wanted, but to always make sure my feet were on a flat surface. I was told never to do leg extensions again.

I would shy away from knee wraps after this. That's only my opinion though. I guess after going through that hell, I don't even want to risk over-loading my knees again

Interesting about the flat surface thing....I'll look into that....not a big fan of extensions anyway, but I want to take care of this thing and not hurt it again....

I was in locked extension for 2 weeks, and now locked with a smaller brace...starting PT soon but they said I will probably need it for only 4 weeks or so.

PS: After all these years of heavy lifting, this injury was caused by....tripping over my cat on some stairs! How hardcore is that?!!?!???

yeah, I tore mine running on a beach and stepping into "quicksand". My knees had been hurting a long time though, and my surgeon said I probably had some micro-tears in the tendon from all the heavy lifting, so I was setting myself up for the fall.

My training partner broke his foot last year tripping over his dog :)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131