Votes: 35 10.3%

• Total voters

Lenny

IFBB PRO / Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I know and assume we all train with weights since this is a bodybuilding forum and community...but just taking a poll on what people do as far as cardio. Just interested in it....

I personally do cardio during precontest or prepping 6-7 times per week anywhere from 30 - 90 minutes of cardio, but during the offseason I scale back to 3-5 times per week for 20-30 minutes PWO.

Last edited:
I do 20 minutes PWO M/W/F, and I do abs and 45 minutes T/Th/Sa.

I do 45 minutes after workout M-W-F , and the other days TU-TH-Sa for an hour, seems to be working well .

I know and assume we all train with weights since this is a bodybuilding forum and community...but just taking a poll on what people do as far as cardio. Just interested in it....

I personally do cardio during precontest or prepping 6-7 times per week anywhere from 30 - 90 minutes of cardio, but during the offseason I scale back to 3-5 times per week for 20-30 minutes PWO.

When trying to gain size I only do cardio on days that I dont weight train.
When dieting,,cutting down,,,typically 4-5 days week for at least 60 min.

used to do much more cardio(say 60-90 min/day 5x/wk) but not this year. I've switched over to high intensity cardio 30 min/session only on training days, 3-4x/wk. I use cardio simply as a means to keep the metabolism pushing, I've gotten a much better look from this. I used to do the incline treadmill and to be honest I think it got to the point where I couldnt get my heart rate high enough. The stair stepper is now my new best friend

when dieting, I will do 2 sessions before breakfest and after dinner or prior to dinner depending

I adjust my cardio to my goal at the time,but always do at least three times a week.Seven days a week when reallty cutting.I don't do it just for fat loss but for health and longevity also.

used to do much more cardio(say 60-90 min/day 5x/wk) but not this year. I've switched over to high intensity cardio 30 min/session only on training days, 3-4x/wk. I use cardio simply as a means to keep the metabolism pushing, I've gotten a much better look from this. I used to do the incline treadmill and to be honest I think it got to the point where I couldnt get my heart rate high enough. The stair stepper is now my new best friend

same here, cant get my HR up with treadmill anymore, now using stepper almost always. doing 30min M/W/F + 60min T/Th/Sa or Su
by high intensity do you mean 140-150bpm? or intervals?

same here, cant get my HR up with treadmill anymore, now using stepper almost always. doing 30min M/W/F + 60min T/Th/Sa or Su
by high intensity do you mean 140-150bpm? or intervals?

intervals, first 3 min is on level 3, then level 4 min 4-10, back down to level 3 min 10-12, bump it to level 5 min 12-20, back down to level 3 min 20-22, level 5 min 23-30

When I was younger I did a lot of cardio and could never get lean enough. Last year when I was in shape for the first time in my life I did 0 cardio, not what-so-ever, I leaned out with diet alone.

My training was like doing cardio and training simultaneously though. I took no rest between sets and a lot of drop sets about 16 sets per bodypart.

This year, I'm about 2 weeks in, following Phil's routine and I do have a lot more size, I'm leaning out pretty good as well, I will start posting pics next week.

I look at it like this, you can rely on diet and supplements to lose bodyfat, or cardio. Too much of both produces unwanted results

intervals, first 3 min is on level 3, then level 4 min 4-10, back down to level 3 min 10-12, bump it to level 5 min 12-20, back down to level 3 min 20-22, level 5 min 23-30

i do it the same way - gradually increase intensity during whole session. though i didnt try backing down for couple of mins. will try thanks for idea

45 mins 2x week in the gym and about 30 mins a day walking (no car).

Cardio is best done after workouts correct? I have heard from some sources that it may hinder some gains after a strenuous workout if your body has to change gears into a aerobic state after a heavy lifting session. Or is this just a non-issue and cardio can be done anytime regardless of your work out plan?

I haven't done any cardio whatsoever since march... so i voted 0
but today i woke up, and thought why the hell not?
let me tell you, i train with high intensity and all that crap... but still... let me tell you, i'm out of fucking shape!!!!
i jogged for 3 minutes and i was done... i'm starting to rethink the whole don't do cardio thing... especially since i'm a smoker... you know your heart is in trouble when you smoke and you're out of shape...
it's quite depressing actually... looking like this, and i'm actually out of shape :(

Cardio is best done after workouts correct? I have heard from some sources that it may hinder some gains after a strenuous workout if your body has to change gears into a aerobic state after a heavy lifting session. Or is this just a non-issue and cardio can be done anytime regardless of your work out plan?

Personally, I think cardio is best done on an empty stomach in the morning, but if I can't do that due to work...I will perform PWO and not think anything of it. I really do not think it is that big of deal to do PWO if you do a lower intensity because your heart rate will already be elevated from weight training. So, it is a non-issue and can be done PWO.

I voted 30 or more daily.

I lift 3 days a week, and do Muay Thai 5 days a week. Its not low intensity cardio though. Some days i also do wind sprints. Those are more anerobic though.

Last edited:
I would/do only use it when diet gets stalled.

So if preparing for contest I don't use it to burn calories at all but to put a new stimulus on my body to wake it up a little. Low intensity empty stomach, but when it gets over 60 minutes I'll do 60 in morning then 30 PWO. Treadmill inclince 3.0-5.0 (depends pwo or morning), speed 3.0 HR 125-130.

I think a lot of people don't use it as a calorie burner per say but as a pleatue breaker while dieting hard. But there are those that use it to burn calories - I just believe in Chris Aceto's opinion (and many others) the calories burned during cardio can be subtracted from diet so no need for cardio.

But using it to break a major plateau when dieting HARD last couple weeks is great IMO.

I see Shelby is on here I really wish he or someone else with a lot of experience would comment as I know he can't give all his secrets out but he sure does bring his guys in shape!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws