over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

longest time in ketosis

longest time in ketosis with out a carbup/cheatmeal?

• a week and less

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • 4 weeks

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • 6 weeks

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • 8 weeks and longer

Votes: 19 26.8%

• Total voters

weight

Banned
curious how long some have you have stayed in ketosis with out a carbup or cheatmeal? and post your results with body mass, bodyfat, and size losses/gains.

Hi, e had made a ketogenic diet just for one week at the end of my cutting cycle and i had lost 2kg after this week (including the carb up day).

At this, i only had been at a ketosis state just for 5 days and it is not easy!

9 weeks straight without a single gram of carbs (diet was 70% fat - 30% protein)... and I will never do it again. :eek:

Sure I lost a ton of bf and my waist size shrunk down tremendously, but my ability to spare muscle quickly became very low... once glycogen stores are empty you lose as much (if not more) lean tissue than chub.

And although my energy levels remained stable and mood was alright, feeling so flat and weak (strenght decreases by the day) made training a real chore. :(

Live and learn.

Even Di Pasquale himself says being ketosis is catabolic if done too long. 9 weeks seems like 'too long' indeed :p

Last year when I dieted, I was in Keto for a week at a time and even that was rough. Somehow I got real good at depleting glycogen because after a carb up I would be back in Keto within a day or two. I was flat, had zero muscle pump and not much in the tank energy wise.

Once I got down under about 8% fat I think I was loosing as much muscle as fat.

Once your body is used to being in it, you go into it fast indeed. I go by breath and taste/feel in mouth to determine (not that it matters that much). After a while you won't even go out of it after only a short cheat meal or carb load. The palumbo diet for example: after weeks of being in ketosis you will not go out of it by having just that one cheat meal

what are yalls cheatmeal/carbups like and how often and when?

I go a week. Every Saturday i have a refeed day. Works extremely well for me. I went from 257# well over 20%bf 9 weeks ago to 223# @ 11-12% BF now at 5'6" tall.

i think it's best for people with higher bf levels as oppose to lean people. i have been on it for very long stretches; but so as not to exaggerate i would say at least 8 weeks straight, i would be and feel flat but not lose strength and much muscle, if some one were to follow this diet while on aas and gh i think hi would lose a tremendous amount of fat and not much muscle.

When I first heard about Atkins(my first experience with counting carbs) I was 290 and needed to lose a great deal of BF. In addition, I do not handle carbs well at all. It doesn't matter what kind, I have literally spent my entire youth with stomach problems due to carbs, simple complex, straight sugar, it just didn't matter.

I was in Ketosis for a total of 13 months the first time. I dropped from 290 to 193 in the first 4-5 months as I hated carbs anyway and staying below 10-30 was easy. I also feel amazing on Ketosis. I have far more energy, I can run longer, sleep less, have a better mood, pretty much everything. I usually am on it for 3-5 months then break it for a bit. I also had none of the muscle loosing issues. I was able to lift weights often and enjoyed a modest amount of growth in that time frame.
I did blood tests before and after and was surprised to find everything was better than before. BP and Cholesterol had the most marked improvement.

I once spent 9 months on zero carbs. Your body will not stay in ketosis even eating zero carb.

12 weeks. Literally cut all the fat from my frame. And a good chunk of muscle too. Ripped and skinny. CKD was better for me the next time out. In fact it is the only way I will do any type of Keto diet these days, if I try it again. I've had such good results just doing HIIT between weight workouts that I don't know if I'd go the extreme lo-carb route anymore. Then again ...

I once spent 9 months on zero carbs. Your body will not stay in ketosis even eating zero carb.

gluconeogenesis?

i've wondered about this myself- how does the conversion of protein into glucose not kick you out of ketosis.

i have tried ketogenic diets on more than one occasion. i had zero problems with my energy levels, and found the longer i stayed in 'ketosis', the more rapid my fat loss seemed to occur. the diet itself left me flat and stringy- for some reason it takes me a ton of carbs to fill out, which should have been my first clue that perhaps im better off with a more traditional approach to dieting that included carbs since my body seems to take in vast amounts to stay full.

that being said- i have always wondered if the fat loss was due to more of a calorie restriction in the ketogenic state than any actual benefit to have gone zero carb for any extended period of time.

Last edited:
For true ketosis, follow what epileptics use, what Big A has said, what I have said in one of the last keto threads. Things like the palumbo diet are no keto-diets. Way too much protein (and gluconeogenesis) to accomplish that.

I vaguely recall 80 gr protein being the max daily limit and that was with a lot of fat calories as well.

Edit: had my numbers wrong, recommendations are at least 80% of kcals coming from fat.

Last edited:
Also don't forget that any energy restriction diet will dip you into ketosis occasionally, even with hundreds of grams of carbs as long as you are hypocaloric. But we're talking about a constant ketogenic state here ofcourse

For true ketosis, follow what epileptics use, what Big A has said, what I have said in one of the last keto threads. Things like the palumbo diet are no keto-diets. Way too much protein (and gluconeogenesis) to accomplish that.

I vaguely recall 80 gr protein being the max daily limit and that was with a lot of fat calories as well.

Edit: had my numbers wrong, recommendations are at least 80% of kcals coming from fat.

Good post. A fact many of us forget. For me, ketosis never goes over 5 days before a refeed.

I made it 17 days. It seems for me 7-10 days is good for my body and more importantly mood. More than that and I become a miserable grouch. I never crave breads, rice, potatoes, or other basic carbs. But saying no to a dark beer or dark chocolate is much harder after more than a couple weeks of keto. :D

Day 3...

I am in day 3 of no carbs and not used to it at all.

I have to tell you, cutting carbs out, increasing fat and taking in about 1 gram/protein per pound of LBM feels really wrong when I am used to my carbs! Brown rice and/or oatmeal 3 - 4 times per day was the norm.

Throw in 45 minute cardio sessions with my weights and I am feeling like a space man right now. A very seasoned guy on here told me that for him the first 3 days is terrible, the next 10 not much better but after 3 weeks, it's like butter.

I am trying to get ready for a local show and am 12 weeks out. I hope this diet works as I really wanna do this show.

Anyways, I am rambling right now. Slept terrible and feel like I am starving. Just don't feel good right now!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws