What type of bulk?

• Slowly, but surely growing, with VERY limited bodyfat gain

Votes: 218 63.7%
  • Growing as fast as possible, with more body fat gain

Votes: 124 36.3%

• Total voters

natabolic

Registered
This poll is NOT about clean vs. dirty bulking..

It is about what you prefer.. Bulking with higher calories, accepting body fat gain, and somewhat welcoming it, as you gain more overall weight, which overtime could lead to bigger increases in overall mass, as well as give better leverage for heavier lifting.. or bulking with lower calories, at an attempt to stay as lean as possible, while slowly but surely putting on muscle.

a side note, that the guys who put on the most muscle continuously over the years, get absolutely massive in the offseason.. chunky-fat as some may call them. lee priest for example.

Last edited:
I myself have a metabolism that wont let me get over abou 12% bf. I used to try to get bulked up(fat/muscle) as much as possible. However, this year ive added in some cardio and that seems to keep bf in check. I eat a lot of clean foods till i am full, not stuffed where im about to throw up if i eat any more, and the weight on the scale is going up while im maintaining about a 10% bf.

no vote here...

The middle ground approach. Bulk but try to minimize fat as much as you can with eating clean foods, nutrient timing and morning/pwo cardio.

This past offseason has been my most productive ever. I basically followed a "tweaked ketogenic pre contest with some extra carbs timed with pre and post workout, and shit loads every 5-7 days. 7-8 all food meals such as steak, salmon, chicken, turkey, flanks, eggs and plenty of olive oils, nuts, all naty pb, variety of cheese and green beans and collard greens. Carbs were steel cut oats and fruit pre wo, and potatoes, rice or Ezekial cereal post. Remainder of day was no/very low carbs. Every 5th to 7th was total shit: pizza, burgers, tacos, GOOD cereals, takeout etc... got up to 235 with good abs and deep quad separation, vascular the entire time with no cardio. Currently pre contest with 17 days to go I'm 220 at 5%. I will definitely keep my offseason bulks similar to this for now on. This is the first time I ever felt like I gained quality muscle and "looked the part" the entire time. Previously I would go all out with mega calories and wind up a big, bloated, smooth, FATASS!!!!

I'm liking the lean slow bulk. I try to eat all day but it's clean and mostly protein with some healthy fat. Every now and then I'll add carbs as i feel needed. being losing BF as I gain weight

I decided to try a higher cal bulking this time around. I am regreting that decision. I am felling like crap. All water bloated clothes not fitting in a bad kind of way. My blood pressure is as high as it was a few years ago when I was fat fat. Maybe that is whey I dont like it, reminds me of that time.

My bulking is my time of enjoyment to eat pretty much all the foods I want, I do try to watch the fat intake. I have to face it that I love my spencer/ribeye steaks compared to flank steaks, fried chicken compared to broiled boneless and skinless chicken breast. I do however stay away from dairy products mainly because I am lactose intolerent.

Again, I think this should be completely based upon goals here.

1) If you have a show you know you have to do in 20 weeks and you have a 10 week offseason why would you want to dirty bulk only to have to turn around and drop the vast majority of it and rush and lose much of the muscle you gained bc you have to lose all the excess BF and diet/cardio your ass off? Why not just eat clean and gain some size and then have a nice slow diet into the contest?

2) Now if you are taking a year off to put on some size like Evan Centopani did before the NY Pro, then that makes sense. You have plenty of time to put on muscle and not stress about coming down to stage weight as quickly.

3) If you aren't competing and you don't mind the excess fat or whatever then thats your choice as well....

fast bulking

I like to eat whatever i want to at times....

Eat absolutely everything i can get my hands on and grow as fast as possible. My body grows best in an environment of heavy training and abundant surplus. When I take my bodyweight up over 300 lbs I'm strong as an ox and growing like no tomorrow. Abs are over-rated. Occasionally i'll cut back to 270 or so, but thats about it. Gimme my dianabol, anadrol, tren and test. Ice cream and beer. I like being big. ;)

When I eat what I want for a drity bulk, i end up gaining like 4% in BF. That pisses me off so I'm opting for the lean these days

I think your going to get a different answer from every one on this. The guys with a fast metabolism and ecto body type's are going to eat everything in sight and try to put on as much weight as possible. Guys like me have learned the hard way that a remotely dirty bulk or even a clean bulk with too many carbs will be more counter productive than anything else. Carbs in abundance simply make me fat. No matter if they are complex,simple bad or good. I think ideally we all need to take in calories according to our metabolic rates and activity levels. Thats just my .02

I like to eat a minimum of a 500 calorie a day excess. While this definitely results in fat gain it also results in consistent muscle and strength gain for me over 4-6 month period. I still have lots of room for meat on my frame and this is definitely the quickest path.

I have a fast metabolism & have always been a hard gainer so I have no choice but to bulk dirty

bulk with less worry aobut fat but that dont mean i just eat like shit.
i do add mroe cals mor carbs and ALOT more peanutbutter lol :)

Ill trim down druing spring

I would be lying if I said slowly and leaner. I like to bulk, ill take the bfat for a few months, but I only go up and down 20lbs, not like you lads who go onstage.

Done the dirty route, always got huge but ended up being about the same weight I was the year past. Now I do prefer to keep it realistic. I binge on whatever I want 1-2 days a week and try, key word being try, to keep it to one meal when I binge. I also do cardio at least 5 days a week. I am slowly gaining and am not ashamed to take my shirt off. Win Win!

This poll is NOT about clean vs. dirty bulking..

It is about what you prefer.. Bulking with higher calories, accepting body fat gain, and somewhat welcoming it, as you gain more overall weight, which overtime could lead to bigger increases in overall mass, as well as give better leverage for heavier lifting.. or bulking with lower calories, at an attempt to stay as lean as possible, while slowly but surely putting on muscle.

a side note, that the guys who put on the most muscle continuously over the years, get absolutely massive in the offseason.. chunky-fat as some may call them. lee priest for example.

I try to do it pretty clean these days. I never let myself go over 12/15% BF.
I just look bad with anymore than that.

I switched from pounding down the food to a slow gradual gain. The next time I see 237lbs. I won't be 50% bodyfat!:p

Starting lean and bulking gradually tends to keep me a little more motivated...I don't get strong as quickly but it allows me to actually see the muscle that I'm adding, even it's a little at a time.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131