And more importantly, knowing what you
know now, if you could do it all over again,
what would you do differently so as to
avoid those persistent aches and pains.

As somebody once said . . . "if we can’t heal
the sick, perhaps we can at least inoculate the
upcoming generation of young bodybuilders
with the needle of truth."

I think my elbows are never going to heal? It has been over 7 years now, since me and an old buddy were lifting together. We only worked out together for about 2 months in 2003. But both of us stated having elbow problems at the same time and we both still have it today. I owe it to skull crusers, sloppy overhead tri extensions with a 45 pond plate, and revese grip curls. 3 exercises I won't ever do again.

What about you Alfesco?

Last edited:
Alfesco

Hi Ron,

I would suggest, don't lift weights over your head..I think that's how I originally started hurting my neck.....oh, and don't bang into gym equipment.

My right knee is pretty well destroyed, not just from weight lifting, but it really accelerated it. I'd avoid ass to grass squats at this point because I think it'd push me to surgery lol. If you can just avoid lifting too heavy too fast so that you don't strain your tendons I'm sure you'd have better longetivity.

My knees are all jacked up..probably more due to wrestling than lifting.

Knees are trashed from super deep squats 20 years ago.

Coincidentally I did deep squats last night and they did not hurt.
I took two aspirin before the WO, and used liniment on my knees and warmed up on the bike before I started. I suppose prep can make a world of difference. ;)

Took a shot to the back when I was younger playing football and it seems like that has always been a problem since. Every once in a while I go down because of my back when I make a stupid move.

I dont have the usual aches and pains most guys have, and i have been doing this for 14 years.

What i do have is this - when i do back thickness exercises or certain shoulder exercises, i get this weird shooting pain down my neck through my left trap down in to my upperback.

Its like a nerve is being pinched, and it only flares up sometimes. Drives me crazy! :mad:

The thing is - the pain doesnt show up until a few hours after the workout, so im not sure what really causes the pain.

Last edited:
I have tennis elbow (tendinitis) is both elbows, really gets bad when I go super heavy. Tried everything but it seems like it won't go away...guess I have to live with the pain.

knees are a little jacked but that from being a catcher playing baseball for many years, but now my main complaint on and off seems to be...wrist pain the rides up the forearm a little...most annoying pain ever!!

knee's then shoulder's

surgery on the knee and need it again.

Too bad I cant tick them all because I have all of them, getting old:(

My shoulders are shot-I dislocated them both multiple times during my mountain bike racing days. I had surgery on the right to repair a torn labrum, hills-sachs lesion, and torn rotator cuff. They tend to bother me pretty much all the time, especially in heavy pressing movements. It's something I've learned to live with/train around over the years.

I dont have the usual aches and pains most guys have, and i have been doing this for 14 years.

What i do have is this - when i do back thickness exercises or certain shoulder exercises, i get this weird shooting pain down my neck through my left trap down in to my upperback.

Its like a nerve is being pinched, and it only flares up sometimes. Drives me crazy! :mad:

The thing is - the pain doesnt show up until a few hours after the workout, so im not sure what really causes the pain.

This isn't good. You described my exact symptoms except mine tends so evolve into semi paralysis in my delt and bicep on the affected side.
In my case, iIt is caused by a herniated disc C5-C6; it impinges the C5 motor nerve and when it acts up life sucks. Not only do I lose all the strength in my shoulder/arm, it also messes with my CNS. I can't sleep well and I get headaches.
I am recovering from a month of this problem, back to about 80% strength and the pain is mostly gone.
I sincerely hope your issue doesn't evolve like mine has

I have tennis elbow (tendinitis) is both elbows, really gets bad when I go super heavy. Tried everything but it seems like it won't go away...guess I have to live with the pain.

When you say everything , does this include cortisol shots ? I have got shots in both elbows and they're doing fine , now its my lower back that aches , mostly because of a lower back injury a year ago and may consider trigger point injections from the chiropractor that I see periodically ... I feel the cortisol shots have helped the most and recommend doing this if you haven't ...

This isn't good. You described my exact symptoms except mine tends so evolve into semi paralysis in my delt and bicep on the affected side.
In my case, iIt is caused by a herniated disc C5-C6; it impinges the C5 motor nerve and when it acts up life sucks. Not only do I lose all the strength in my shoulder/arm, it also messes with my CNS. I can't sleep well and I get headaches.
I am recovering from a month of this problem, back to about 80% strength and the pain is mostly gone.
I sincerely hope your issue doesn't evolve like mine has

Wow, mine hasnt turned that bad.

It actually flared up after yesterday's shoulder and tricep workout. I rubbed some absorbent Blue lotion on it, took two tylenol pm, woke up today and felt fine - no pain whatsoever.

Im starting to think that it might have been the bent over lateral raises that triggered it.

It seems unavoidable, that hard and heavy
weight training, year after year, takes a toll
on the human body.

What hurts you now?

And more importantly, knowing what you
know now, if you could do it all over again,
what would you do differently so as to
avoid those persistent aches and pains.

As somebody once said . . . "if we can’t heal
the sick, perhaps we can at least inoculate the
upcoming generation of young bodybuilders
with the needle of truth."

I rarely have any aches or pains like that.
Its weird though,,if I neglect my weight training
for too long I get pains then,,like knee and back.
I'm a firm beleiver weight training can help prevent this.

I hurt my lower back doing heavy bent barbell rows three or four years ago, and from time to time it will tweak during a squat and I'll have to take a week off or so. I suppose I didn't allow it to heal properly.

Shoulders for sure. dislocated my right shoulder multiple times too. Just got to work around it and find what works.

My knees no doubt. Layin down Tile and wood florring for 15 years didnt help that much im sure!

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear