advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

A couple of quotes from Frank Zane about big calorie eaters and swiss balls.

aeliop

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
**broken link removed**

On the Swiss Ball

"Another dumb excersise is situps on a Swiss Ball. "New School" personal trainers claim that working on an unstable surface strengthens the "core" (core is a new buzz word on those come lately on the fitness scene). Swiss Ball situps aside from working lower back pose the danger of falling of the ball. You won't find any in my gym. Fads come and go, but those with great abs rely on traditional proven methods that have always worked. Call it "old school" if you must but it's worked for me and everyone with great abs I know."

For the "big eaters" out there his thoughts on bulking up
"If you want to get high definition and keep it for the rest of your life then DON'T BULK UP which entails gorging yourself with extra calories. Bulking up means to pack on a lot of body weight in a hurry. Is this productive or are you wasting your time? My advice base on my own experience is don't do it. Quality muscle takes time to develop-it's better to add not more then 5 lbs of solid muscle a year by training and eating right than to gain 30-40 lbs of surplus tissue, much of which is fat and water retention. When you train down and lose the excess bulk you will most likely find yourself in the same place where you started, a year later, a year wasted. You cannot improve your definition this way."
frank-zane.jpg

Last edited:
I will personally be following his advice about bulking up. Went big over the winter (gained 42 lbs.....big for me:D). I have never felt as slow and out of shape before in my life. I was stronger then I had ever been in my life but my BP was as high as it had ever been as well. I have since started dieting back down and I am sure I will get some solid gains in the end.

I feel much better being lean and feeling healthy. Just my 0.02$

Showy

I have alot of thoughts about Zane's comment on bulking. I think Zane was way too conservative in his approach to gaining mass and if you were to look at the last ten years of his career he probabaly gained 2lbs of muscle a year for the last 10 years he competed. His whole outlook on bodybuilding was about small, slow gains. While I agree that gaining weight for it's own sake just to drop it makes no sense . I think Zane took an awful long time to make the gains he did.

Good Take

I have alot of thoughts about Zane's comment on bulking. I think Zane was way too conservative in his approach to gaining mass and if you were to look at the last ten years of his career he probabaly gained 2lbs of muscle a year for the last 10 years he competed. His whole outlook on bodybuilding was about small, slow gains. While I agree that gaining weight for it's own sake just to drop it makes no sense . I think Zane took an awful long time to make the gains he did.

Good Take and interesting points sarcoplasm,

I know for a long time Joe Weider was always telling Zane to get bigger and for awhile he tried to compete at a heavier weight. He finally decided that he was going to quit worrying about size (and Joe Weider) and focus on shape and quality of muscle. I think today many guys get so focused on how big and/or shredded they are and not so much about the quality of the muscles that they do have.....it often gets ignored but it is very important to have "nice looking muscles"

Great post bro, I hate those fuckin ball people, they never have abs and are always bitching about core n shit. Waisting clients time n money.

And I think 5lbs is a little conservative but yeah I hate being a fat fuck so I agree.

Im waiting for some fat person,benchpressing dumbells to pop a swiss ball in my gym.Hopefully they wont replace it:D

Im waiting for some fat person,benchpressing dumbells to pop a swiss ball in my gym.Hopefully they wont replace it:D
LMAO....
they take up some much room too and are always rolling around everywhere. PIA

So Awesome

Im an old school bb that does both. Conventional strength exercises and core, functional ball work. Unfortunately I see so called trainers destroying the benefits of the ball which allows me to completely understand peoples opinions regarding the use of such tools. Personally, performed correctly, the ball kicks my ass. It forces me to work those muscles that I never realized the importance of. Perhaps Frank is unaware of the transverse abdominis or the multifidus. Regardless, its not his fault. Science is changing. Juan Carlos Santana of the Institute of Human Performance Home - The Institute of Human Performance is an example of functional strength, performance, and size. He loves old school principles and applies his education and experience to help build the best athletes anywhere. No offense to the legend Mr Frank Zane but He needs a steak and a visit to IHP.

Good info

I like this post and have much respect for Zane. I like his physique and think I would follow this advice more so than the huge bulking cycles I see guys do. For me, it is so hard to get lean I would rather stay lean year round and maintain my health a little more but I am no pro or even competitive bodybuilder at this time.

Im an old school bb that does both. Conventional strength exercises and core, functional ball work. Unfortunately I see so called trainers destroying the benefits of the ball which allows me to completely understand peoples opinions regarding the use of such tools. Personally, performed correctly, the ball kicks my ass. It forces me to work those muscles that I never realized the importance of. Perhaps Frank is unaware of the transverse abdominis or the multifidus. Regardless, its not his fault. Science is changing. Juan Carlos Santana of the Institute of Human Performance Home - The Institute of Human Performance is an example of functional strength, performance, and size. He loves old school principles and applies his education and experience to help build the best athletes anywhere. No offense to the legend Mr Frank Zane but He needs a steak and a visit to IHP.

WHO???:confused: How many Olympias did he win??:confused: Who are you?:confused: Frank Zane won 3 and has one of the greatest physiques of all time. Enough said!

I agree with Frank...I will pop that ball, do my crunches off the floor and have a better abdominal area that most swiss ball fools! All we hear is about core, devote 45 minutes to core bullshit...the funny thing must of these people do not even squat, do bent-over rows, things that builit a strong trunk or core, etc....

The best physiques are built around compound movements that form a stronger abdomen foundation...leave the unstable bullshit to the personal trainers trying to sell thier clients on some colorful ball training because it is different and looks cool, there are million studies on this and that...keep it simple and not complicate such sbasic movement. Damn, these personal trainers should be preaching abs are made in the kitchen before they toss them on a ball...you can't exercise your way out of bad eating!

But, hey to each thier own, everyone has thier way of doing things, so screw it...I will stick to what works for me!

Oh and like Pesty stated, Frank Zane was Mr. Olympia...enough said:D

Good Take and interesting points sarcoplasm,

I know for a long time Joe Weider was always telling Zane to get bigger and for awhile he tried to compete at a heavier weight. He finally decided that he was going to quit worrying about size (and Joe Weider) and focus on shape and quality of muscle. I think today many guys get so focused on how big and/or shredded they are and not so much about the quality of the muscles that they do have.....it often gets ignored but it is very important to have "nice looking muscles"

Modern judging emphasizes size over shape and symmetry consistently. Big and ripped wins contests in the IFBB. The really great physiques are not the ones that are placing.

I can never decide how I feel about this. I have always been impressed with the mass monsters but never found their physiques appealing. It's a conundrum.

What's his stage weight again?

Zane competed at around 185lbs or so for most of his career and did reach an all time high of 190 at his best showing :the 79 Olympia Even though I stand by what I said about him earlier he did make small refinements to his physique year after year leading up to 1979

Frank Zane looked Awesome!

Sure it is a totally different look than today but then again I prefer Lynx physique to Iris Kyle any day :)

Aleiop-You have any diet info or diet guidelines from Zane? I think his body and the look he had was incredible.

Yes quite a bit.

Aleiop-You have any diet info or diet guidelines from Zane? I think his body and the look he had was incredible.

Yes I will post more stuff as the thread goes along

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75