over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase (GGT)

Shelby

IFBB PRO / Double Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Have any of you ever had high GGT levels? I haven't.

Here's an interesting study / theory:
Anabolic steroid-induced hepatotoxicity: is it ove... [Clin J Sport Med. 1999] - PubMed result

Abstract
OBJECTIVE: There have been numerous reports of hepatic dysfunction secondary to anabolic steroid use based on elevated levels of serum aminotransferases. This study was conducted to distinguish between serum aminotransaminase elevations secondary to intense resistance training and anabolic steroid-induced hepatotoxicity in elite bodybuilders.

DESIGN: This was a case-control study of serum chemistry profiles from bodybuilders using and not using anabolic steroids with comparisons to a cohort of medical students and patients with hepatitis.

PARTICIPANTS: The participants were bodybuilders taking self-directed regimens of anabolic steroids (n = 15) and bodybuilders not taking steroids (n = 10). Blood chemistry profiles from patients with viral hepatitis (n = 49) and exercising and nonexercising medical students (592) were used as controls.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: The focus in blood chemistry profiles was aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alanine aminotransferase (ALT), gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase (GGT), and creatine kinase (CK) levels.

RESULTS: In both groups of bodybuilders, CK, AST, and ALT were elevated, whereas GGT remained in the normal range. In contrast, patients with hepatitis had elevations of all three enzymes: ALT, AST, and GGT. Creatine kinase (CK) was elevated in all exercising groups. Patients with hepatitis were the only group in which a correlation was found between aminotransferases and GGT.

CONCLUSION: Prior reports of anabolic steroid-induced hepatotoxicity based on elevated aminotransferase levels may have been overstated, because no exercising subjects, including steroid users, demonstrated hepatic dysfunction based on GGT levels. Such reports may have misled the medical community to emphasize steroid-induced hepatotoxicity when interpreting elevated aminotransferase levels and disregard muscle damage. For these reasons, when evaluating hepatic function in cases of anabolic steroid therapy or abuse, CK and GGT levels should be considered in addition to ALT and AST levels as essential elements of the assessment.

I have always gotten the GGT added to my metabolic and CBC panel to compare with others. I've never had it elevated more than point or few above normal.

Have any of you ever had high GGT levels? I haven't.

Here's an interesting study / theory:
Anabolic steroid-induced hepatotoxicity: is it ove... [Clin J Sport Med. 1999] - PubMed result

...Such reports may have misled the medical community to emphasize steroid-induced hepatotoxicity when interpreting elevated aminotransferase levels and disregard muscle damage. For these reasons, when evaluating hepatic function in cases of anabolic steroid therapy or abuse, CK and GGT levels should be considered in addition to ALT and AST levels as essential elements of the assessment.[/B]

I believe there is a lot of truth to this. Using GGT and CK to delineate whether elevations in AST and ALT were due to liver damage or not was discussed in another thread here:

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/professional-muscle-forum/63930-got-blood-work-how-bad.html

I know this has already been posted but it's worth mentioning again. Check out this article:

Muscular exercise can cause highly pathological liver function tests in healthy men - Pettersson - 2007 - British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology - Wiley Online Library

MANY physicians are not aware of this...

Bottom Line: A completely natural bodybuilder with a completely healthy liver can have SIGNIFICANT elevations in AST and ALT. Therefore using AST and ALT as your sole indicator of hepatic dysfunction in a bodybuilder (natural or otherwise) is crazy. CK and GGT MUST be checked in order to get an accurate picture of what is causing the elevations in AST and ALT.

Shelby,

A lot of us have preached to have GGT labs tested when getting liver panels done for years now (no pun my friend), because of it's preferred relation and sensitivity in showing liver (and biliary tract) stress/damage, and to a lesser extent the kidneys, spleen, brain, prostate gland, and intestines....for reasons that Alan above pointed out. Both AST and ALT can be elevated, as well as Alk Phos, while GGT levels are normal....thus not dileneating the difference between skeletal and hepatic elevations.

BMJ

Shelby,

A lot of us have preached to have GGT labs tested when getting liver panels done for years now (no pun my friend), because of it's preferred relation and sensitivity in showing liver (and biliary tract) stress/damage, and to a lesser extent the kidneys, spleen, brain, prostate gland, and intestines....for reasons that Alan above pointed out. Both AST and ALT can be elevated, as well as Alk Phos, while GGT levels are normal....thus not dileneating the difference between skeletal and hepatic elevations.

BMJ

I was probably too busy checking out the ass thread whenever that was posted. :)

Thanks BMJ

LOL!

That's very understandable...heh heh heh!

BMJ

still trying to get past the pronunciation on that word...

For those of you using LabCorp or bloodwork, they have a very good comprehensive package that gives the standard chem panel, cbc, and thyroid panel. GGT is included.

I have seen my AST/ALT at over 2x normal, but my GGT doesn't budge. When I take a few days off before bloodwork, all 3 are normal, even on cycle.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws