over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Eating when hungry, Revisited.

tkav1980

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
There have been tons of threads on this in the past. But, recently i keep seeing alot threads in the main forum and the beginners forum that have to do with diet. Now nothing im going to say is a huge secret. Its all been posted before by Phil, Ness...well that list could go on forever. This is basically aimed at all those guys that hate their diet, are sick of overfeeding, frustrated with trying to diet down, and tired of the BF% rollercoaster.

This whole eating when hungry thing is aimed at staying lean while always adding lean muscle. its a symbiotic effect between training and eating that allows it to work. IF YOUR NOT DOING YOUR JOB IN THE GYM IT DOESNT WORK.

When your body needs nutrients a hormone is released signaling that feeling of hunger. thats what is essentially manipulated. by consuming the right set of macronutrients, meaning a set that allows you to stay fairly lean, digest quickly, and get hungry again, you can essentially make your body consume massive amounts of protien, healthy fats, and good carbs without force feeding.

this method is analagous to building a house. there is really only 2 ways you can do it. you can buy all the materials you need and have them waiting on the building site before construction starts which clutters the site making it harder to get everythign done. or you can have each material delivered exactly when its needed. this keeps the site clean, organized and efficient.

If you go to the gym and train legs today, half ass it, with moderate weight, and dont really push yourself you may get hungry 3 or 4 times in a day. lets face it your bigger than average so you wont be eating once or twice but you certinly wont need to eat 8+ meals and your body wont be hungry for you to do that. However, if you really really bust your ass, lift really heavy, you will be starving for the rest of the day as long as your eating in a fashion that gives your body what it needs with every meal without overstuffing it.

lets say just for an example you eat 42g protien, 55g carbs, and 20g fat every meal. IF you eat those from the right food sources, ones you can digest efficiently, you may be hungry again in 90 min. if your hungry every 90 min, then your looking at at least 8 meals. thats 336G protien. Now add in 3 tbsp LBa between meals at 6G pro per tbsp thats 144G protien and your at 480G protien per day without even trying.

Ill use myself as an example. right now i eat 60G protien per meal. if i get that from chicken, pork, or fish, and i eat broccoli green beans or asparagus, at lets say 2 cups with olive oil im looking for food again in about an hour and a half or 2 hours. However, if i eat 1 cup of pasta with that, im full for 3 or 4 hours. beef fills me up longer too. so you can just do some simple math and figure out total cals and macros for a day.

On a day i dont train, those same foods in those same amounts keep hunger at bay much longer. i may only eat 3 or 4 meals on a non training day. My body doesnt need the same amount of nutrients when im more sedentary.

If i was to force myself to eat 8 meals on a day that i dont train and im not as hungry there would be only 1 possible outcome...Id get fat.

There is a trick to eating when hungry. Its the macro ratios and food sources. Unfortunately i cant just tell anyone what those are. it took a year to figure out what ones work best for me, but there are a few things to consider that can help you figure what ones are best for you.

1st, what did you grow up eating? were you raised on steak? do you live near the ocean and grow up eating alot of fish? start there.
2nd, Stay lean, new muscle, changed on BF% are much easier to see when your lean.
3rd, play with your food, experiment over and over again until you get the right set for you.

Im hoping this can help some people stuck in a rut with their diet who are tired of force feeding, and swinging between phases of bulking and cutting. If your prepping for a show its a hell of alot easier to come down from 11% than 17%.

AWSOME post

LOVE IT, Great post TKAV

Nice job laying that out tkay..!

Thanks for this.

Reason I enjoyed reading this is also because it is well written.

Cheers
Chip

For a long time I have been counting macros/calories. It seemed to just bloat me and put on too much fat. I started using the method youve described and Im alot leaner now, put on some LBM and am stronger. I believe in this method but off course this wont work for people on AAS. But guys like me can use this to their benefit.

For a long time I have been counting macros/calories. It seemed to just bloat me and put on too much fat. I started using the method youve described and Im alot leaner now, put on some LBM and am stronger. I believe in this method but off course this wont work for people on AAS. But guys like me can use this to their benefit.

It workes better on AAS!

And a family size pack of ultra soft Charmin :D

Excellent post

1st, what did you grow up eating? were you raised on steak? do you live near the ocean and grow up eating alot of fish? start there.

For some reason, my family only fed me pasta growing up.Other than pancakes at breakfast, it was pasta, pasta, and more pasta. Once in a blue moon there was chicken in it, but for the most part I got no protein.

I was a ripped kid with zero muscle mass.

Should I still consider pasta as a food source if that is what I grew up on? I barely eat it anymore because I feel I already had a lifetime's worth.

For some reason, my family only fed me pasta growing up.Other than pancakes at breakfast, it was pasta, pasta, and more pasta. Once in a blue moon there was chicken in it, but for the most part I got no protein.

Should I still consider pasta as a food source if that is what I grew up on? I barely eat it anymore because I feel I already had a lifetime's worth.

Absolutely, use it. just remember the other half of the equation is Macro ratios. so use pasta as one of your carb sources, but i like to keep carbs like rice and potatoes before and 1 meal after training. that works best for me, but you may do well with some in every meal.. wont know till you try.

my macros as a kid included alot of pasta too :banghead: but i was a little meatball growing up! lol

Tkav! Nice post! Youre one of the few that get it AND has the patients and desire to lay it all out for us over and over again. Your persistence is paying off and your winning people over...cause its the truth. Ive added 10 hard earned pounds since eating-when-hungry. I feel great, have great definition year round and have good intensity during my workouts without having to rely on stimulants.

I learned when I lost patience and started pushing food down my throat I lost my edge in the gym and eventually my strength tanked. Worst of all I looked like shit. Then I ended up not eating because I was all clogged up and things just got worse from there. Force feeding will eventually hold you back and keep you from gaining. Lessons learned and never forgotten.

Really happy you guys found something that works for you.

What about when supplements that can affect appetite are introduced to the equation (eg: ephedrine, GHRPs, certain AAS)?

Is eating when hungry still a viable method, since true hunger may be blunted or amplified?

Tkav! Nice post! Youre one of the few that get it AND has the patients and desire to lay it all out for us over and over again. Your persistence is paying off and your winning people over...cause its the truth. Ive added 10 hard earned pounds since eating-when-hungry. I feel great, have great definition year round and have good intensity during my workouts without having to rely on stimulants.

I learned when I lost patience and started pushing food down my throat I lost my edge in the gym and eventually my strength tanked. Worst of all I looked like shit. Then I ended up not eating because I was all clogged up and things just got worse from there. Force feeding will eventually hold you back and keep you from gaining. Lessons learned and never forgotten.

Thanks ness! when i started working with phil you were one of people that really helped me understand all this stuff. your also like the poster boy for this diet, you stay crazy lean year round and continue to improve on your mass and strength. Thats what consistancy will get you.

What about when supplements that can affect appetite are introduced to the equation (eg: ephedrine, GHRPs, certain AAS)?

Is eating when hungry still a viable method, since true hunger may be blunted or amplified?

Personally i would never take anythng that blunted hunger, body fat gets manipulated with Macronutrients and training. Now that being said in my origional post i said thats its easier to come down from 11% instead of 17% when your preping for a contest. the goal of this type of diet is to stay lean yeat round and add lean mass. since i never preped for a contest myself i cant honestly answer what it would take to drop into contest shape. As for anythign that increases appetite, more food = more mass, and BF% is controlled with the foods you choose, the macro ratios of those foods and the right training protocal. If your hungry enough to eat 10 meals a day, on lets say AAS or HGH or something, you obviously need those nutrients. This entire way of eating is really about paying attention to your body. so eat up.

Last edited:
Yeah, JS has pointed me in this direction. I'm learning what foods make me hungry and will look to utilize something like this in the near future.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear