over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Big round shoulders....mostly genetics?

waynaferd

Banned
Just curious if it is indeed genetics or not that give some people great big round bowling ball shoulders....I have tried and tried different rep ranges, high/low weights, super sets, slow negs, partial reps, and probably more but can't get big round shoulders.

I sometimes seem to have bigger traps and chest then the people I see with the big shoulders, though, and can't figure it out.

Anyway for shoulders I do military press, side, front, and rear raises, upright rows, face pulls, and shrugs, and even site injecting them for a good while doesn't seem to do much.

Any input appreciated!!!

Once i stopped overhead pressing my shoulders started rounding off. Lots of 15-20 rep range side raises. Occasional upright rows and shrugs.

I have a problem developing the big round look to my delts as well, they always seem to look pretty flat. But a couple things have definitely helped me this year. First, Mountaindog training for shoulders can make for some great changes. John has a huge variety of rep ranges and movements in the routines which can spur some big changes. Also, I have found that GH injected IM in the delts can definitely add some roundness when done for a long time.

My shoulders grow faster than anything on my body. I do super high volume. Drop sets in the smyth, upright rows super setted with bent over laterals, regular lateral drop sets with every dumbbell down the rack .

I don't think it's genetics. My shoulders are by far my best feature. Look at my family an I have horrible genetics.

When I was 16 there was a trainer in my gym that had huge shoulders an traps. Did side laterals daily till failure. I started that then and they blew up. 17 years later, still my best feature.

I don't think it's genetics. My shoulders are by far my best feature. Look at my family an I have horrible genetics.

When I was 16 there was a trainer in my gym that had huge shoulders an traps. Did side laterals daily till failure. I started that then and they blew up. 17 years later, still my best feature.

Does your family lift weights and try to develop big muscles? Untrained bodies aren't relevant to genetics, it's how you respond to training and how muscles are formed once their developed. My grandpa is skinny, doesn't mean he has bad genetics.

That being said I believe it's mostly genetic and also training based. You can make them better but some people will just have big round shoulders with less effort. They are probably my best body part and I don't do anything special, I ditched all shoulder pressing though as I felt they did dick all but strain my joints, and do high reps on laterals. Always lift through your elbows on laterals and side raises.

High reps for shoulders. Arnold used to do laterals lying on his side on an incline bench. I find that those hit the side delt pretty hard. Also, grab onto a stationary object and lean the direction of the shoulder you are trying to hit while doing 1 arm side laterals. Triple drops will also help get the job done.

Does your family lift weights and try to develop big muscles? Untrained bodies aren't relevant to genetics, it's how you respond to training and how muscles are formed once their developed. My grandpa is skinny, doesn't mean he has bad genetics.

Yep. My brother tried for years. Got some decent size (only ran a few cycles) but never to the shoulders. I always had him beat there tho he was taller. Father was military but lifted mainly for martial arts when he was able to.

Genetics for sure. I've tried every training scheme imaginable, and they still are a weak point. But not as much of a weak point as they used to be.

A muscle grows, shrinks, or does nothing. It doesn't change shape, so yes it's genetics. If you have little ugly shoulders and then gain some mass, you will then have big ugly shoulders. Everyone has the potential to make their muscles bigger, just not prettier :) Otherwise we would all be pro BBers.

Maybe any correlation to site injections over the years? With tren I pin shoulders daily but back in the day 2-3 ccs in the shoulders was nothing. It's always been a preferred place for me to inject.

If it does have something to do with injections, then I need to pop those into my calves now lol.

Meadows' has some awesome shoulder routines. I'd start doing some of his stuff. It works really well.

Yep. My brother tried for years. Got some decent size (only ran a few cycles) but never to the shoulders. I always had him beat there tho he was taller. Father was military but lifted mainly for martial arts when he was able to.

Fair enough. I think the term genetics gets mis-used though, as your family doesn't have the same genetics as you. Something being heriditery and being genetically gifted are two things. Some people are born with gifts that don't run in the family.

Interesting about your bro

My shoulders used to be awful...i stopped pressing first and did posterior delts, medial and anterior exercises first in that order...than did my presses. I also raised my rep range to 12-20. Still need to bring the anterior delts up...but part of that is because i'm not a strong chest presser.

Fair enough. I think the term genetics gets mis-used though, as your family doesn't have the same genetics as you. Something being heriditery and being genetically gifted are two things. Some people are born with gifts that don't run in the family.

Interesting about your bro

I see your point an think you hit it dead on with the genetics an hereditary traits. Thinking about it from that angle I am quite a bit different from other males in my family genetically.

Remember to hit rear delts HARD... they are often neglected / under-trained.

From the side, and even the front, the rear-delts give a much more capped look to the shoulders.

In a most-muscular pose, it's the rear delts that are adding the most "width"; the side delts are pretty much in the front when hitting that pose.

Remember to hit rear delts HARD... they are often neglected / under-trained.

From the side, and even the front, the rear-delts give a much more capped look to the shoulders.

In a most-muscular pose, it's the rear delts that are adding the most "width"; the side delts are pretty much in the front when hitting that pose.
^^ this! EXCELLENT POST.

Having impressive shoulders and good V taper has a lot to do with clavicle width tbh, look at guys like Frank Zane.. Cant do anything to change that.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws