over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

parallel bar dips for tris or pecs?

parallel bar dips a better tri or pec movement?

• Pecs

Votes: 33 45.2%
  • Tris

Votes: 40 54.8%

• Total voters

Riley

Newbies
Would u classify parallel bar dips as a more effective tri movement or pec movement, I know form can be adjusted somewhat to try to emphasize one or the other, but overall what would u classify it as?

for me, no matter the degree im leaning in at, i always feel it quite well in the pecs.

IMO, I think it depends on what you want to get out of the exercise. Mind-to-muscle connection (focusing on tris will obviously put more work load on the tris and vise virsa with the chest.) Just depends on what bodypart you are trying to work.

IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE WIDTH OF THE BARS THEMSELVES.. the typical dip station is fairly narrow which will involve the triceps more.. if you can find one that has more width too it and learn to lean into the movement and keep the elbows flaired, i believe it is the best chest movemebt there is..

I would say tris, but it is also good for chest. What it comes down to, is that it is a basic movement that activates many different muscle groups, shoulders, tris, chest....

I do it for the triceps, Hammer dips i the better exercise, some time i use dips for strecht the chest but not for triceps development

Last edited:
bigheinz said:
I do it for the triceps, Hammer dips i the better exercise, some time i use dips for strecht the chest but not for triceps development
I AGREE , i only use hammer for tris i never do dips.

LATS said:
IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE WIDTH OF THE BARS THEMSELVES.. the typical dip station is fairly narrow which will involve the triceps more.. if you can find one that has more width too it and learn to lean into the movement and keep the elbows flaired, i believe it is the best chest movemebt there is..

I agree with Lats, if you can find a machine that has the bars about the width you'd bench press with you can get a great pump from these in your chest.

If the bar is wide and you lean forward it becomes more of an outer lower pec movement...This movement can wreak havoc on the rotator cuffs..

A narrow grip bar and staying upright throughout the movement will blast the triceps and probably do some damage to your elbows in the near future...

Dips can be great for either the triceps, or for the chest.

For the chest:
Keep the spine curved; chin in chest/head facing down; elbows out; If possible get a wider than shoulder width grip.

For the Tris:
Keep spine straight; head straight facing ahead; elbows in; Narrow grip.

On the dip bar or the Dip pressdown machine!

as long as you dont have any injuries, (shoulder, elbow, etc), i feel that dips are a great exercise for both tris and pecs.

you bumped a 4 year old thread for that, where you been...asleep?:D

Dips can be great for either the triceps, or for the chest.

For the chest:
Keep the spine curved; chin in chest/head facing down; elbows out; If possible get a wider than shoulder width grip.

For the Tris:
Keep spine straight; head straight facing ahead; elbows in; Narrow grip.

I agree with Mike S, this is how i do it also, and like Phil H has saidbefore, moving the body through space is always good.

It can be used to primarily target either. I dont care what the width is. If your mind muscle connection is strong and positioning and range of motion is proper, you will target which ever you choose....plain and simple

It can be used to primarily target either. I dont care what the width is. If your mind muscle connection is strong and positioning and range of motion is proper, you will target which ever you choose....plain and simple

spot on.

If you do weighted dips you have to watch your form carefully and warm up properly. Some while ago i did dips with 100kg on the belt (220lbs) and partially tore a tendon in my shoulder. Took almost 6 months to heal (i avoided all exercises which caused pain). just a reminder :D

spot on.

If you do weighted dips you have to watch your form carefully and warm up properly. Some while ago i did dips with 100kg on the belt (220lbs) and partially tore a tendon in my shoulder. Took almost 6 months to heal (i avoided all exercises which caused pain). just a reminder :D

I want to see a video! haha.....prove it!

I want to see a video! haha.....prove it!

well now this may sound like a stupid excuse but that was in my old gym with proper dip bars. in my new gym (been there for like 6 months) we only have dip bars like in the picture below BUT i will try on those nevertheless. I#ll keep you updated. :eek:

Attachments

• Dip.jpg
    Dip.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 2,059
I stay away from dips. I jacked up the attachment point on the top of my shoulder a few years back, so even now dips hurt like crazy. Don't usually notice it on other lifts, except maybe heavy close grip benches. Anyone else have this problem?

i find dips hit my anterior delts and tris quite effectively. never felt it in my chest

I do them more upright for triceps. Usually pair them on my shoulder day.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131