over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Help with Fat Loss - Muscle Retention/Gain

senseipro

Newbies
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 275
Current Hydrostatic BF: 30%, 190lb lean muscle mass

I have been on a nutritional program for about 5 months now and have lost 31lbs of body fat, while gaining 3 lbs of lean muscle. It has been an extremely difficult road and I constantly run into that scenario that your body doesn't like losing weight when in an anabolic environment. I do not want to lose my lean muscle mass or my strength because my ultimate goal is to finish shedding the weight, start a hard bulk cycle, cut, and perform in a bb comp.

Training Program: (specific muscle building program)

Mon, Tues -weight train 2 hrs per day
Wed -off
Thurs, Fri, Sat -weight train 2 hrs per day
Sun -off
Total weight training: 10 hrs / week
Total cardio: 2 hrs / week

This is my nutritional plan:

calorie intake: 1800 calories on off days, 2200-2800 calories on training days.
50% protein, 25-35% carb, 15-25% fat. One Re-feeding day every 2 weeks, eating approx. 3000-4000 calories. I watch my insulin levels by keeping a low GL carb intake during the day, increasing it prior to workout, and bringing it back down to normal post workout after my recovery meal.

Supplement regimen:

07:00am -Controlled Labs Orange Triad x 2, Controlled Labs Oxy-Omega x 2, CLA, L-Carnitine, Nitro-tech 1-2 scoops, Cellucor D4 x 2, Cellucor T7 x 2

10:00am -Optimum Whey 1-2 scoops

02:30pm -Controlled Labs Orange Triad x 2, Controlled Labs Oxy-Omega x 2, CLA, Optimum Whey 1-2 scoops, Cellucor D4 x 2, Cellucor T7 x 1

06:30pm -Pre-Workout: Cellucor C4, 8oz fat-free skim milk & Muscle Tech Nitro-Tech 1 scoop

07:30pm -Intra-Workout: 1 scoop Cytomax, 1 scoop Nitrotech, 1 scoop BCAA, 1 scoop Glutamine (My workouts are sometimes 2-3 hrs, so I take this about 40 min into the workout and finish it as soon as I'm done).

09:00pm -Post-Workout: 8oz fat-free skim milk & Muscle Tech Nitro-Tech 1 scoop

10:00pm -Controlled Labs Orange Triad x 2, Animal Flex x 1, CLA, Optimum Casein 1-2 scoops

I have taken every natural pathway to try and make this successful, but I have seemed to plateau off lately. I tried a week of eating more calories, and I gained strength, performance, etc, but then I put on at least 1 lb of fat (accounting for water intake from increased carb stores). I tried a week of eating only 2000 calories a day across the board but find that I have less energy for my workouts and although I do see a small amount of weight loss, I am fairly certain some of it is muscle.

I have lingering cartilage damage in my knees from playing NCAA Div. I soccer back in my college years, so I recently had -another- knee surgery to repair my R anterior condyle. My surgeon mentioned GH supplementation and Viscosupplementation as a possible option for me to help repair my articulate cartilage, which brings me here to you fine folks.

Please don't think I am looking for any handouts... I do my work, and respect every phase of this process.

Can you please give me your opinion on my situation and what you think is the best system out there to assist me with retaining muscle while I continue to lose fat (and hopefully stimulate some Chondrogenesis)?

Thanks so much for any help.

Last edited:
Every ones different but the quickest way for me is to diet down quite quick and not worry too much about muscle-just lift as heavy as i can-then when your at 10% bulk and let muscle memory go to work-i get it back in no time. Others may dissagree this is just my personal opinion what works for me.Ive heard the personal trainers on here ie phill hernon are quite cheap and will really put you in the right direction.

Do what works for you man. Everyone will have differing opinions, but I think cardio and diet will lose the fat for you. Seems like you are lacking natural food groups as well. Loss of energy will happen, just try not to cut too much too fast and end up eating pizza and ice cream all weekend like I used to :banghead: Good luck! ;)

Do what works for you man. Everyone will have differing opinions, but I think cardio and diet will lose the fat for you. Seems like you are lacking natural food groups as well. Loss of energy will happen, just try not to cut too much too fast and end up eating pizza and ice cream all weekend like I used to :banghead: Good luck! ;)

Agreed about natural foods for sure. I eat tons of steak and eggs (yolks aswell) when cutting and can lose weight and never be hungry. I eat other stuff too-fruite oats ect but really make meat and eggs the backbone,hold a lot more muscle that way.

My diet is spot on. My macronutrient intake consists mainly of brown rice, chicken breast, 93+% lean beef, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, etc. etc.

I do my work, but based on my genetics and natural body composition, I have a very difficult time gaining and/or maintaining muscle while losing fat.

My diet is spot on. My macronutrient intake consists mainly of brown rice, chicken breast, 93+% lean beef, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, etc. etc.

I do my work, but based on my genetics and natural body composition, I have a very difficult time gaining and/or maintaining muscle while losing fat.

Honestly, just stick it out man. I know AAS sounds amazing but if you drop the weight too fast, you'll just end up with loose skin and stretchmarks.

Up the cardio and continue to lift around 3 times a week. Cut out your carbs after 5 pm everyday and just keep busting your ass.

Honestly, just stick it out man. I know AAS sounds amazing but if you drop the weight too fast, you'll just end up with loose skin and stretchmarks.

Up the cardio and continue to lift around 3 times a week. Cut out your carbs after 5 pm everyday and just keep busting your ass.

Loose skin? Check. Strechmarks? Check. I used to weigh 301 lbs on a 5'10" frame.

Due to my knee problems I can do very little traditional cardio, I can do some circuit training on machines. I called my orthopedic surgeon and he said there are clinical trials for people with osteoarthritis to get localized GH and Viscosupplementation injections to promote cartilage growth. If I wasn't able to get into a trial, I would like to know there are alternate pathways for me to try and improve on my situation.

I guess people are just reading the "fat loss" portion of this post and assuming I am looking for some quick way out. That is not the case, and hopefully, for anyone currently reading this, I'm sure they didn't either.

Last edited:
Loose skin? Check. Strechmarks? Check. I used to weigh 301 lbs on a 5'10" frame.

Due to my knee problems I can do very little traditional cardio, I can do some circuit training on machines. I called my orthopedic surgeon and he said there are clinical trials for people with osteoarthritis to get localized GH and Viscosupplementation injections to promote cartilage growth. If I wasn't able to get into a trial, I would like to know there are alternate pathways for me to try and improve on my situation.

I guess people are just reading the "fat loss" portion of this post and assuming I am looking for some quick way out. That is not the case, and hopefully, for anyone currently reading this, I'm sure they didn't either.

Na i dont think your looking for a quick way out at all-just good advice. I really would look into hiring one of the personal trainers on this board though as they have a lot of experiance with a lot of people. Most of us only really know what works for us as we havnt trained people. Anyway congrats on losing your 31lb so far-its not a race keep going

Na i dont think your looking for a quick way out at all-just good advice. I really would look into hiring one of the personal trainers on this board though as they have a lot of experiance with a lot of people. Most of us only really know what works for us as we havnt trained people. Anyway congrats on losing your 31lb so far-its not a race keep going

How do I get a hold of one of the personal trainers? How does that work?

Oh and quick update:

I started getting better sleep (6-8 hrs during the week, when I only used to get 4-5 max), and I have begun losing weight again.

Thanks Melatonin!

so you have a hard time keeping lean muscle as well as gaining new muscle. how much muscle have you lost on this routine since you started? or have your gains been sub par?

so you have a hard time keeping lean muscle as well as gaining new muscle. how much muscle have you lost on this routine since you started? or have your gains been sub par?

I've gained almost 5 lbs of lean muscle while losing the bf, according to the 3 hydrostatic bf tests I've had done over the past 4 months.

How do I get a hold of one of the personal trainers? How does that work?

phill hernon has a banner at bottom of screen. Theres a guy called alex, i can try and find contact details if you like.Ive not used them but heard only amazing things

Keto. I had the same problem. 1.5gm protein/lb 0.5gm fat/lb. Low intensity cardio. First 2 weeks suck n u will feel like ur loosing all ur muscle but stick with it by the end of week 3 you will fill like a mikllion bucks

My friend..... you are taken to much stuff if you want to lean up and i mean lean up first Calorie intake no more than 1500 to 1000 calorie (well balance carbs prote aminos vita well taken at proper times) if can do hi impact cardio the eliptical will be the one to go with ....no 2 hours a week you shoul be doing 2 hours of cardio and 2 or 3 times lifting a week. you will lose some muscle mass but concentrate on burning that fat the muscle we the MAN can always gain it back any time is easy....To keep my self lean I do at least 20 to 15 min hi intensity ( last 5 min ) cardio at the end of my 45 to one hour workout 6 days a week.... I know what are you talking about but beleived or not in cardio and calorie comsup is were is at..just my 2 cents... keep working it will come to you jusd decrease calorie and increase cardio I now is a pain in the ass but you will get to hate it better :D

I think gurths right-focus just on the fat loss, lift to maintain as much as possible,focusing on compound lifts-especialy squats and deadlifts. Reduced cals and cardio on top of this and fat does melt off.

I think gurths right-focus just on the fat loss, lift to maintain as much as possible,focusing on compound lifts-especialy squats and deadlifts. Reduced cals and cardio on top of this and fat does melt off.

Yes, lifting burns fat but you never seen a runner that hols fat :)

yea i agree hit the cardio fucking hard too. cover all bases.

I'd go with HIT on the stepmill (if you have access to 1 in your gym) as far as cardio is concerned...
Stepmill has a module called "speed training", pick that 1 and go for 15 minutes at level 10 at first, and work your way up to 20 minutes, no more than that. When 20 mins feels easy at level 10, increase difficulty levels every 2-4 sessions until you reach level 20.
This type of training will kick your ass  but the results you'll get are more than worth it...

Just 0.02...

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members