over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bodybuilding and Powerlifting

Shelby

IFBB PRO / Double Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Over the years I’ve competed in both powerlifting as well as bodybuilding.

I’ve enjoyed and fared well in both, but bodybuilding has definitely given me more satisfaction - probably because it’s more “all-encompassing” and can be more of a life-style than just a hobby. The more an activity can scratch my obsessive-compulsive itch, the better.

But I digress… in this article I want to review the similarities as well as the differences between the two activities, how they can complement each other, and when they probably should NOT be mixed. Hopefully by the end you’ll have a better understanding of how each can play a role in your personal fitness goals.

Bodybuilding – hypertrophy is the primary goal, not strength (they are related, but not 100%). And not just ANY hypertrophy – but hypertrophy of the “showcase muscles”, in the right proportions.

Powerlifting – strength is the primary goal, not muscle. In fact if you can keep up your strength but shrink in size, you’ll have a better advantage because of weight classes. In particular the strength should be in the squat, bench press and deadlift.

Beginners and Intermediates will benefit from pursuing both bodybuilding and powerlifting simultaneously... but eventually, if you want to become very awesome at one, it’s best to focus on it at the exclusion of the other. When you chase two rabbits, you catch none.

Building a solid strength foundation is important for a starting (or intermediate) bodybuilder just like it is a powerlifter. But just improving the big 3 is not enough to become a well-rounded bodybuilder; doing so will neglect many of the body parts that are important to bodybuilding (arms, calves, shoulders, pecs, lats, etc.). Sure, you can do your squats with a close stance to help develop the quads more, or bench to your chest (rather than upper abdomen) to develop your pecs more, but doing so almost always compromises your strength (in terms of sheer numbers) and will not get you very far in the powerlifting arena.

You need to include a larger repertoire of exercises if you want to maximally develop your physique for bodybuilding. Exercises like bicep curls, dumbbell laterals, lying leg curls become much more important as the priority shifts from sheer strength to cosmetic appeal.

And of course there’s nothing wrong (and actually a lot RIGHT) with trying to add more weight (or reps) on the bodybuilding-oriented exercises. It’s not the only way to add size (you can increase intensity in a number of ways, such as pre-exhausting, super-setting, doing drop sets, rest pause, etc.) but it’s a very simple and effective way to do it (just be careful of injury, as always).

Additional Notes
In powerlifting, you will never be asked what your body fat percentage is.
In BBing you will never be asked what your bench press is.
And the only need for a weigh-in is to put you in a weight class – other than that it doesn’t matter what you weigh on the platform or stage – it just matters how you look (BBing) and how you perform (PLing)
It’s NOT rare to see a powerlifter diet down and carry an appreciable amount of mass – especially in their back and traps, triceps, glutes and hamstrings.
It IS rare to see a dieted-down powerlifter with big flaring quads, wide and full delts, airplane-like lats, and big, full biceps.

Because of the nature of the lifts (wide stance, low-bar squats, benching to the abdomen, etc.), especially with equipment (squat suits, bench shirts, etc.) the muscles developed in powerlifting are not the “showcase” muscles that dominate in bodybuilding. This is not an attack on either pursuit – it’s just the reality of the situation. Though there are certainly similarities and overlaps between the two, there are also some major differences. Sure you can come up with a handful of powerlifters that would make decent (but rarely awesome) bodybuilders, and also a handful of bodybuilders that would make decent (but again, rarely awesome) powerlifters – but these guys (and gals) are rare… not the norm by any means.

Assessing Progress
Assessing progress in powerlifting is fairly straight-forward: if you’re hitting PRs, especially at meets (vs. the gym), you’re doing well. Yes you have to factor in changes in bodyweight, equipment, etc. but the goal is pretty simple – bigger numbers (or maintaining strength or a good strength ratio if you drop a weight class or two).
In bodybuilding it’s a little bit different. When you compete you are judged subjectively, against the other competitors that show up at that competition. You can improve immensely from year to year, but if better guys show up then your placings might not reflect that.
Granted, you also compete against others in powerlifting, but it’s much easier to show progress from meet to meet even if your placings don’t show it. “I increased my bench press by 20 pounds, my squat by 40 pounds, and my deadlift by 30 pounds”.
In bodybuilding, it’s more qualitative than quantitative.
Using measurables like body fat and lean body mass only goes so far – the numbers might look great on paper, but all that really matters is how it looks onstage (and the numbers don’t necessarily reflect that “look”).
My point is this: if you’re a bodybuilder, don’t get too caught up in numbers. They really don’t matter. No one will ask you what you weigh onstage, or what your body fat percentage is. As a bodybuilder you are much more an artist than a technician. Taking photographs on a regular basis is one of the best ways to assess your progress – actually seeing how things are “shaping up”.
Conversely, if you’re a powerlifter, the opposite applies. Nobody cares what you look like on the lifting platform- they only want to see big numbers. That doesn’t mean you should be a fat slob (weight classes still apply), but the bottom line is more weight on the bar, however you need to accomplish it.

Wrap-Up
Most strong physiques are big physiques… and most big physiques are strong physiques. But the correlation isn’t 100% and training for either (strength or size) can vary greatly as your training age increases and your interest develops in one direction or the other.

Very Nice Mr "S"

I agree a 100% Very nicely put and simple to understand. There was a similar conversation of this a while back and most didnt agree. I copied just one here

11-12-2012, 12:42 PM
xjpx
Registered Member Join Date: Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Fox
(Maybe I didnt word that correctly. I was more referring to excersises like peck deck machine... cable cross overs etc... that you wouldnt normally do as a power lifter.

No doubt it takes large resistance to build large mass.... after a certain point is reached especially. Low volume high frequency is the best for most power lifters. But the weight percentages must still be varied from 50% up to 100% in order to maintain that regimen.

The same holds true for a body builder following the same style with the exception of his form and focus dictating change of excersises needed to target specific areas that are lagging and in turn moves focus away from heavy weight and more to targeting or isolating the lagging or disproportionate muscle.)

XJPX
I think as a bodybuilder again you don't need to turn to isolation to achieve what you have stated, I have found compound moves from varying angles will allow a bodybuilder to feel certain muscles working more then others- I.e a meadow row is v good for engaging your lower lats, there is no doubt that last year hitting them hard gave a look as if my lat insertions had lowered.... It is still a barbell row- but one that will target a more specific part of your back
Share this post on Digg
Twitter
Share on Facebook
Reddit!

Last edited:
I agree with Xjpx post with compound movements

I also agree with you Shelby that your exercises determine the shape of your physique

Question

Are you happy with your physique . I know you use John meadow as a coach but I always got the point that you must use coaches until you fully know your body and train instinctively tailoring routines and diets ? But your still being coached

Question

Are you happy with your physique . I know you use John meadow as a coach but I always got the point that you must use coaches until you fully know your body and train instinctively tailoring routines and diets ? But your still being coached

I'm a bodybuilder - I'm always trying to improve my physique. That's why I go to the gym, watch what I eat, try to learn new methods, etc.
Any "coach" that thinks he/she knows it all is not a coach you want to work with.

I'm a bodybuilder - I'm always trying to improve my physique. That's why I go to the gym, watch what I eat, try to learn new methods, etc.
Any "coach" that thinks he/she knows it all is not a coach you want to work with.

Agreed I feel the same why I flip like a script to see if there's a difference the one thing I have yet to see my view change on is volume in a workout I believe if u full throttle one set then there should not be a sevond of that exercise granted I'm talked for chest , pull movements back , and quads.

I also gathered from your note that different exercise can build your physique differently when many of the old vets say your body grows how it's genetically structured to

I've also competed in both powerlifting and bodybuilding. As far as the pure sport goes the one thing I like about powerlifting is the guy who lifts the most wins. The best guy or girl doesn't always win in bodybuilding because the judging can be so subjective and political.

I think in both sports genetics and drugs over ride all else such as diet, training, etc.

"In BBing you will never be asked what your bench press is." I have to slightly disagree with this as I only compete in bodybuilding now and I get asked all the time how much I bench. lol

In my personal experience I think the two sports have gotten closer together now days as most powerlifter don't just train powerlifting only exercises and pay more attention to dieting, etc. I also see alot of bodybuilders focusing on strength training and lifting heavy in compound exercises. I see a lot of people competing both.

One thing I will say that some people will disagree with is from what I've seen over the years with all the guys in the gyms I know and including myself is and I know some of it is genetic is it seems the guys who have powerlifted or lifted heavy at some point seem to retain more of there thickness when they diet down. It seems the guys who have never lifted heavy seem to look smaller when they diet down for say a bodybuilding show.

My goal was to always look like a bodybuilder and be as strong as a powerlifter. Show and go! I've always had trouble seeing people with size who can barely bench or squat 315. I would be embarrased if I were them.

I really like both powerlifting and bodybuilding. I think some combination of the two is what I really enjoy.

Great article, Shelby.

Without giving away any secrets, My Q for Shelby is; As a BBer reaches the right size, does their training change appreciably to fine tune the shape of the "showcase muscles"? Or do you recommend they stick with the routine that got them big in the first place?

Great article, Shelby.

Without giving away any secrets, My Q for Shelby is; As a BBer reaches the right size, does their training change appreciably to fine tune the shape of the "showcase muscles"? Or do you recommend they stick with the routine that got them big in the first place?

You can't change the shape of your muscle, that's just genetics. You can make a muscle bigger though.

If you've neglected training a certain body part (like rear delts for example, or forearms) then training them / hypertrophying them will change the "look" of your physique.

Got it. So, bigger it is then! Thanks, Shelby. Good thread.

Well said Shelby. While I haven't competed in either I enjoy strength training more than my old bodybuilding routine.

Well said Shelby. While I haven't competed in either I enjoy strength training more than my old bodybuilding routine.

LOL...... thats because we get to eat real food!

Nice read,

While I have competed in powerlifting in years past, I've never competed in bodybuilding... I appreciated your comparison of them both.

J

Power Building?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88sXoZ18Moc]Get Upper Body Mass & Strength with Power Building Routines - YouTube[/ame]

LOL..... Push ups after your heavy bench routine is borderline retarded!!!!

LOL..... Push ups after your heavy bench routine is borderline retarded!!!!

I think that depends fox... Maybe w zero resistance, but have u ever done pushups with a weighted training vest, a plate or 2 on your back, or with sum1 pushing down on your back? Sum of the best chest exercises out ,imo, for a higher rep set for chest(14-20ish)... I don't use these in my lower heavy rep ranges, but they kick asssssss for a higher range... Once my wrist gets full rom back to put flat on tha floor ill b doing these again...

Great post shelby

Last edited:
I think that depends fox... Maybe w zero resistance, but have u ever done pushups with a weighted training vest, a plate or 2 on your back, or with sum1 pushing down on your back? Sum of the best chest exercises out ,imo, for a higher rep set for chest(14-20ish)... I don't use these in my lower heavy rep ranges, but they kick asssssss for a higher range... Once my wrist gets full rom back to put flat on tha floor ill b doing these again...

Great post shelby

Im not saying that push ups are not good. Im saying that doing them after you have exhausted the muscles in the bench press is counter productive. 5x5s for PL means 80 to 85% weights. All you will accomplish by doing push ups after that is further uneccessary fatigue. Or fruitless fatigue.

Push ups do remain a primarily BB excersize also. You cant replicate the weights used in the BP with a push up. They do have their place on light days for stretching and working some ancillary muscles however.

Im not saying that push ups are not good. Im saying that doing them after you have exhausted the muscles in the bench press is counter productive. 5x5s for PL means 80 to 85% weights. All you will accomplish by doing push ups after that is further uneccessary fatigue. Or fruitless fatigue.

Push ups do remain a primarily BB excersize also. You cant replicate the weights used in the BP with a push up. They do have their place on light days for stretching and working some ancillary muscles however.

I totally disagree. In some Mountaindog workouts we finish with elevated push-ups with the cardio boxes to get a deep stretch. Try to do 3 sets of 20. They have increased my flexibility and strength gains. Great exercise to finish with

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws