over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Constant improvement - some thoughts

mountaindog1

IFBB Pro / Featured Member / Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
TKAV - asked a really good question recently. It was funny when I read it, because it is the EXACT way I feel. The more you know....the more you realize you don't know much at all.

Good coaches learn. They make mistakes sometimes, and they adapt. I was thinking off the top of my head of where I have changed my views in the last 2 years, and i bet i could come up a HUGE list of things I do better now than I used to do. I hope that in 2 years, I am way better at coaching then I am now.

Anyways, just a thread to encourage people to learn, don't be afraid to make mistakes, and enjoy the process!

This was my response to TKAV in the other thread.

That's the beauty of the sport. You grind, train your butt off, try to eat to support how you train.....but you always look for ways to improve things. I need to make a list of the things I have changed my mind about over the last few years.

I bet Phil, Dante, Shelby, etc all have discovered things over the years to improve their programs. I know this because they are good at what they do, and good coaches look for ways to get better all the time.

People like to say keep it simple..which is cool, but it doesn't mean stop your pursuit of knowledge, just don't get paralyzed by it.

I really don't care what works, I just want to know what it is, and apply it to the people I work with so they get the benefit. I seriously 100% don't care. It's the end result that matters.

Off the top on my head - some thoughts..

1) I used to be a staunch proponent of eating carbs with breakfast. Not anymore. They get put to much better use around training when muscle cells are like vacuums for glucose. i would rather take in 250 grams around training, then 50 grams a meal over 5 meals.

2) Fiber - I am starting to think fiber making you completely regular is hogwash. i was discussing this with Dr. Serrano today, and he is already there. i am getting there. Whether it's solube, insoluble, etc...there just doesn't seem to be as much benefit from it as actual gut flora.

3) order of eating carbs. I feel totally different now than 2 years ago. I would rather people eat more carbs at night then during the day. You feel better, sleep better, and will not magically get fat. Your fat cells are actually more sensitive when you wake up after sleeping.

4) Accomodating resistance - I think you guys know how I feel about this. This is a GREAT tool bodybuilders are too stubborn to try. Chains are especially productive as they aren't likely to overtrain you as bands will do (eventually).

Those are off the top of my head Tom.

JM

intresting read, thanks for sharing

1. I used to be a staunch proponent of eating carbs with breakfast. Not anymore. They get put to much better use around training when muscle cells are like vacuums for glucose. i would rather take in 250 grams around training, then 50 grams a meal over 5 meals.

2) Fiber - I am starting to think fiber making you completely regular is hogwash. i was discussing this with Dr. Serrano today, and he is already there. i am getting there. Whether it's solube, insoluble, etc...there just doesn't seem to be as much benefit from it as actual gut flora.

3) order of eating carbs. I feel totally different now than 2 years ago. I would rather people eat more carbs at night then during the day. You feel better, sleep better, and will not magically get fat. Your fat cells are actually more sensitive when you wake up after sleeping.

DEAD FUCKING ON BROTHA:headbang::headbang::headbang:

wheres the yoda symbol?

T

YES! I know a paleoanthropologist that lives in my building that I try to catch him whenever he's not traveling around the world for his work. He said research shows for the majority of our existence we always fed at night (after hunting the food), that is why we crave at night. So eating at night also prevents the 'late night hunger' many of us have as well.

Love the last couple threads like this you've posted MD (rants). Filled with wisdom.

Last edited:
I agree with the carb theories, wholeheartedly.

I figured this out when I did cheat meals at breakfast vs. as my last meal. Breakfast, I'd feel like a fat, bloated, turtle for the rest of the day. At night, I'd wake up lean and shit the entire log out, but I realized carbs really helping me sleep well.

For my 2nd blast, I'll put up my diet again. It'll be a bit different structured, but pretty much your principles all over again, stay tuned.

Just when you think you are starting to get a handel on the nutritional aspect of body building you realize that your just barely scratching the surface
For me
3 years ago carbs were evil , created by the devil to keep me fat
2 years ago , not all carbs are bad just have to eat the right ones early in the day
last year , carbs are great as long as your body accepts the ones you use and eat them early in the day and cut them out early in your prep
this year , carbs rock !! providing you use them to fuel the muscle not your gut

I love this board so much because of the vast ammount of knowledge that is here available to us all , most of which is FREE!!

QUESTION FOR MOUNTAINDOG AND OTHER WHO USE CARBS ONLY AROUND WORKOUTS...

Im in prep mode So i only use waxy pre and post (medium gi still replenishes quick)

what shakes do you guys use (or do you still use who food sources)

this coming off season Im going to be using a combo pre workout

50waxy/35malto/15 fructose.... intra 75malto/25 dextrose.... post 50malto/50dextrose

Also I have been replacing most of my meals with whey (isolate/concentrate/ caseinate) and Eaas tablets and I feel alot better the only meals I have been consuming are Eggs/ beef and salmon and some spinach....

Last edited:
QUESTION FOR MOUNTAINDOG AND OTHER WHO USE CARBS ONLY AROUND WORKOUTS...

Im in prep mode So i only use waxy pre and post (medium gi still replenishes quick)

what shakes do you guys use (or do you still use who food sources)

this coming off season Im going to be using a combo pre workout

50waxy/35malto/15 fructose.... intra 75malto/25 dextrose.... post 50malto/50dextrose

Also I have been replacing most of my meals with whey (isolate/concentrate/ caseinate) and Eaas tablets and I feel alot better the only meals I have been consuming are Eggs/ beef and salmon and some spinach....

One of the many reasons im glad your one of my coaches John!!!

Very well put John. Keeping it simple is nice in practice but you should always maintain a hunger/thirst for knowledge

TKAV - asked a really good question recently. It was funny when I read it, because it is the EXACT way I feel. The more you know....the more you realize you don't know much at all.

Good coaches learn. They make mistakes sometimes, and they adapt. I was thinking off the top of my head of where I have changed my views in the last 2 years, and i bet i could come up a HUGE list of things I do better now than I used to do. I hope that in 2 years, I am way better at coaching then I am now.

Anyways, just a thread to encourage people to learn, don't be afraid to make mistakes, and enjoy the process!

This was my response to TKAV in the other thread.

That's the beauty of the sport. You grind, train your butt off, try to eat to support how you train.....but you always look for ways to improve things. I need to make a list of the things I have changed my mind about over the last few years.

I bet Phil, Dante, Shelby, etc all have discovered things over the years to improve their programs. I know this because they are good at what they do, and good coaches look for ways to get better all the time.

People like to say keep it simple..which is cool, but it doesn't mean stop your pursuit of knowledge, just don't get paralyzed by it.

I really don't care what works, I just want to know what it is, and apply it to the people I work with so they get the benefit. I seriously 100% don't care. It's the end result that matters.

Off the top on my head - some thoughts..

1) I used to be a staunch proponent of eating carbs with breakfast. Not anymore. They get put to much better use around training when muscle cells are like vacuums for glucose. i would rather take in 250 grams around training, then 50 grams a meal over 5 meals.

4) Accomodating resistance - I think you guys know how I feel about this. This is a GREAT tool bodybuilders are too stubborn to try. Chains are especially productive as they aren't likely to overtrain you as bands will do (eventually).

Those are off the top of my head Tom.

JM

Awesome post as always. :headbang: The thing I love about it, besides some great insights......it shows that EVERYONE believes they are doing things at 100% efficiency....WE ALL do, or we wouldnt be doing it!.....a year later we make changes and say "ok, now I've got it"....and the cycle continues. Thanks JM!!!!

This topic is such a reality for me....

The more I learn, research, experiment, and 'think' I know the best or optimal way of nutrition/training --- I will change my views at any given moment and re-assess my approach.

2006 it was low fat , moderate carbs
2007 low carbs moderate fats
2008 similar to 2007 with bi-weekly refeeds
2009 was similar to mountainDog approach of a Peri-workout carb consumption

2010 -- back to high carbs and looked my best
2011-- mild intermittent fasting looked like dog shit...but learned that it is NOT for BB'rs as its just not ideal for our goals....

So John is exactly right -- no matter how knowledgeable or "solid" you 'think' your approach is -- the worse thing you can do is not evolve and accept change and listen to others.

I see NUMEROUS stubborn, set in their ways coaches/guru's that stay stagnant and stick to only 1-2 methods....if you speak about something that perhaps makes sense -- they are to prideful to acknowledge it and accept that it just might be a better way....

I consider my self an over-analyzer/over-thinker and yes it is great mindset to stay hungry for knowledge, but can almost be stressful at the same time.

This is a very nice thread and the type of threads that are positive and create thought and ideas from people....

-FF

This is also why i think that if you havent been doing this for a good while or know your body PERFECTLY its a very wise investment to hire a trainer that knows the ins and outs of nutrition , thats willing to see what your body works best with and doesnt use a cookie cutter approach

Any dickhead can starve and cardio you down to get lean , i want the guy thats gonna grow me into a show or at the very least maintain my muscle though the prep.

I recently started something similar to this using 150g of grits and 6 eggwhites an hour and a half before workout and let me tell you best workouts I have had in awhile...my energy just seems to never end and I can go much heavier in the end of my workouts than previously.

Great post John! I got into the late night carbs myself a while ago, went against the grain and what I thought was the right way of carbs earlier in the day and none at night. Well I can handle low carbs during the day, but restricting at nights a real bitch and never felt right. So I began eating them at night, an viola, it worked well, I stayed on track bodyfat wise and got leaner.

Ive also been experimenting with more fruits during the day in replace of regular carbs and I feel great. Less bloat, more energy, I look fuller and am leaner, stomach is tight, no digestion issues for me which is a big thing. I am also able to eat more too.

Its the constant learning that makes us all better especially in the diet dept.

There is a wealth of good info being passed on around here lately and its really gotten me thinking my approaches to things and certain situations as you know theres no one bill fits all approach.

Lets keep this thread alive along with FF's thread, pure gems!

Feel Like a Newbie

I have been training like 30+ years (about 14 of them serious) and still feel like a beginner.

I know a few things that work for me, but every time I try something new (new training style, new diet, aas), it seems to change everything except a few of the basics.

Maybe those basics are part of the grand unifying theory of BBing?

This topic is such a reality for me....

The more I learn, research, experiment, and 'think' I know the best or optimal way of nutrition/training --- I will change my views at any given moment and re-assess my approach.

2006 it was low fat , moderate carbs
2007 low carbs moderate fats
2008 similar to 2007 with bi-weekly refeeds
2009 was similar to mountainDog approach of a Peri-workout carb consumption

2010 -- back to high carbs and looked my best
2011-- mild intermittent fasting looked like dog shit...but learned that it is NOT for BB'rs as its just not ideal for our goals....

So John is exactly right -- no matter how knowledgeable or "solid" you 'think' your approach is -- the worse thing you can do is not evolve and accept change and listen to others.

I see NUMEROUS stubborn, set in their ways coaches/guru's that stay stagnant and stick to only 1-2 methods....if you speak about something that perhaps makes sense -- they are to prideful to acknowledge it and accept that it just might be a better way....

I consider my self an over-analyzer/over-thinker and yes it is great mindset to stay hungry for knowledge, but can almost be stressful at the same time.

This is a very nice thread and the type of threads that are positive and create thought and ideas from people....

-FF

You mean you didn't pass through the low fat AND low carb phase? man that sucked..it was not fun..hahah

JM

I use to be anti-volume training, and thought quads were always trained before hamstring movements. :0)

I'm curious about your fiber statement...if I eat broccoli, cauliflower, or oatmeal my stomach is in knots all day...gassy and bloated. But if I cut fiber out completely I tend to get constipated. I find fruit is my best source of fiber...what do u recomend?

Digestive enzymes, pre and probiotics keep me regular without fibre

You mean you didn't pass through the low fat AND low carb phase? man that sucked..it was not fun..hahah

JM

LOL -- Yea I would do this when IT WASN'T CALLED FOR !!!!

Say 3 weeks out --- because "I need to suffer to look better than anyone else"

In retrospect -- why would I go from 150-200g carbs in great shape to 50g all the sudden?

I have shot myself in the foot several times and you know what? IT PAID OFF -- sure I got my ass handed to me but I promise you....I ALWAYS came back from the reality check and redeemed myself.

How often to people say things like " What is the BEST training routine, training style, days per week etc..? OR Best diet blah blah blah.....

I discuss what I currently feel is working for me, but make them aware that it could change at any given time and there is no BEST WAY.....

As you advance --- get smarter --- you sometimes get "soft" or lose track of KEY THINGS like true training intensity, and important fundamentals that you should most likely never stray from....

I dumped volume training for years because I justified my "intense" brief workouts as more conducive to muscle growth, avoiding catabolism etc...

However --- going back to high volume training + intensity + perfect controlled form (no ballistic BS) has triggered new growth --->Go figure!

I supposed aligning myself with a Mr France Champion training partner will light a fire in you.....

No way I am going catabolic, or over training if I am ON POINT with my nutrition, rest, and supplements....I LOVE RUDE AWAKENINGS, they are humbling and refreshing.

-FF

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner