over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tumeric - Hep C - Liver Health

Viking55

Registered
How Does Turmeric Impact Hepatitis?

August 26, 2013 Print this page
The focus of a wide range of clinical studies, curcumin has repeatedly demonstrated liver benefits. While more research is called for, there remains no concrete evidence that this herb specifically changes the outcome of viral hepatitis. However, the information gathered thus far overwhelmingly supports adding curcumin to a liver health routine.
How Does Turmeric Impact Hepatitis?
By Nicole Cutler L.Ac.

Curcumin (Curcuma longa) is the source of the spice turmeric, and is used in curries and other spicy dishes from India, Asia and the Middle East. Curcumin is what gives the curry its characteristic bright yellow color and strong taste. Holding respected positions in Ayuverdic Medicine and Traditional Chinese Medicine, turmeric is an herb that these time-honored institutions consider able to cleanse the body and invigorate congealed blood. An increasing amount of attention is being paid to turmeric’s health benefits, as modern-day scientists recognize its anti-inflammatory properties and find a growing list of illnesses that its active ingredient benefits.

A Cholesterol Advantage

Several studies have reported that curcumin improves cholesterol ratio, which has a direct benefit on heart and liver health:

A controlled trial in India administered 500 mg of curcumin for seven days at Amala Cancer Research Centre in India. Researchers found that 29 percent of participants experienced an increase in good cholesterol (HDL), while 11.6 percent of participants had a reduction of total cholesterol. Additionally, lipid peroxidation, the process by which cells incur damage, was found to be reduced by 33 percent.
Another study by the Faculty of Pharmacy at the University of Granada reported that curcumin was effective in inhibiting LDL oxidation and lowering LDL cholesterol and triglycerides.
According to the latest research, curcumin reduces cholesterol by interfering with intestinal cholesterol uptake, increasing the conversion of cholesterol into bile acids, and subsequently increasing the excretion of those bile acids.
Another 2000 study shows that a daily oral administration of curcumin extract significantly decreases LDL and apo B (a leading heart disease risk factor) and increases the HDL and apo A of healthy subjects.
Whenever cholesterol ratio improves (HDL is raised, or LDL, triglycerides or total cholesterol are lowered), the strain on the heart and liver is reduced. For a person with chronic hepatitis, minimizing any additional strain on the liver is crucial for assuring longevity.

An Immune System Ally

Since a strong immune system is a person’s best hope for defeating infection with any virus – including hepatitis – immune modulators are consistently being sought. Immune modulation is an emerging field in the medical treatment of viral infections. By introducing an agent into the body that boosts specific areas of the immune system, immune modulators likely lead to an increase in ability to fight off viral infections. While pharmaceutical companies are racing to manufacture the best immune modulator for the different hepatitis viruses, naturally occurring modulators are much cheaper and typically free of side effects.

Researchers are examining curcumin as a possible immune stimulator that can boost these different cells of the immune system:

T cells
B cells
Macrophages
Neutrophils
Natural killer cells
Antibody response
As reported in the January 2007 edition of Journal of Clinical Immunology, curcumin demonstrates immune modulation activity in immune system cells. According to researchers G.C. Jaggetia and B.B. Aggerwal, “curcumin’s reported beneficial effects in arthritis, allergy, asthma, atherosclerosis, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, and cancer might be due in part to its ability to modulate the immune system.” The potential curcumin has demonstrated as an immune modulator renders it a logical, inexpensive, all natural choice for helping defeat hepatitis.

Liver Protector

Even when burdened with liver disease, protecting the liver from acquiring any further damage is the best way to live a long life. Scientists confirmed that curcumin protects the liver by acting as an anti-inflammatory agent:

Protects Against Acute Liver Damage – A Mexican study found that livers of rats treated with curcumin were protected from liver damage induced by carbon tetrachloride. Researchers concluded that by inhibiting NF-kappaB activation and thus inhibiting the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines, curcumin protected against acute liver damage.
Protects Against Liver Cirrhosis – An Israeli study found that curcumin protected rats against the development of liver cirrhosis as induced by thioacetamide. Researchers concluded that by inhibiting the expression of tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha), hepatic stellate cell activation and collage alpha 1 (I) gene expression, curcumin demonstrated a reasonable ability to slow the development of liver cirrhosis.
With documentation that this herb minimizes inflammation and slows cirrhosis, curcumin has the ability to quell potential damage from hepatitis.

Cautions

As the main ingredient in curry, many mistakenly assume that large quantities of turmeric are completely safe. While traditionally safe at low doses, excessive intake of curcumin may irritate the stomach lining. People who have been diagnosed with gallstones, have a bile obstruction or are pregnant should only commence with supplementation under the guidance of a qualified practitioner. Additionally, curcumin has a blood thinning effect; therefore it can be dangerous if combined with blood thinning medications. If taking a blood thinner such as coumadin, warfarin or aspirin, supervision is required for curcumin supplementation.

As long as you heed its cautions and double-check your intent with a physician, supplementing with curcumin can offer a person with hepatitis great benefit. Ranging from its ability to improve cholesterol ratios, promise as an immune modulator and demonstration as a liver protector, curcumin is emerging as an ideal herbal supplement for a person living with hepatitis.

References
Franck, Nathalie, et al., Hepatitis C Virus NS2 Protein Is Phosphorylated by the Protein Kinase CK2 and Targeted for Degradation to the Proteasome, Journal of Virology, March 2005.

Atlanta News, Sports, Atlanta Weather, Business News | www.ajc.com, Turmeric, The Atlanta-Journal Constitution, 2007.

**broken link removed**, Benefits of Curcumin, Wellness Trader, 2007.

Highest Quality Vitamins And Supplements - Life Extension, Curcumin Update, Dale Kiefer, Life Extension Foundation, 2007.

Science news and science jobs from New Scientist - New Scientist, Curry Spice Combats Alcohol-Related Liver Disease, Shaoni Bhattacharya, Reed Business Information Ltd., 2007.

Dietary supplements, Nutraceuticals, Functional foods, Health ingredients, Herbals, Curcumin May Prevent Alcohol-Related Liver Disease, Decision News Media SAS, 2007.

PSA-RISING.COM Prostate Cancer News, Info & Support, Turmeric, Jacqueline Strax, PSA Rising, 2007.

Rivex Pharma Products - Pendopharm, Immune Modulation, Rivex Pharma Inc., 2007.

Vitasearch, Curcumin May Prevent Acute Liver Damage, Vitasearch, 2007.

Vitasearch, Curcumin May Protect Against Liver Cirrhosis, Vitasearch, 2007.

I wonder if daily intake of tumeric would have the same drawbacks as nsaids with respect to connective tissue healing and muscular adaptation.

Hepatitus C

There is a drug company called Vertex pharmaceuticals that developed a cure for Hepatitus C. They want $75,000 for the treatment. When they announced it , their stock went from 30 to 60 in 1 day.

I'm glad some others are realizing the gold that is curcumin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Any insight on which would be best? BCM-95, C3(I believe this is with Bioperine), Meriva, Theracurmin, Curcumin w/ Black pepper...(Curcumax?)

Personally, BCM-95 has gotten my vote in the past/present.

Any insight on which would be best? BCM-95, C3(I believe this is with Bioperine), Meriva, Theracurmin, Curcumin w/ Black pepper...(Curcumax?)

Personally, BCM-95 has gotten my vote in the past/present.

I've been switching back and forth every 30 days with Dr's Best curcumin C3 and life extensions curcumin. I really can't tell much difference one vs the other. Both are amazing and worke wonders for my RA. Add in some of dr mercola's complete probiotic (inflammation starts in the gut btw) and you are golden!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I've been switching back and forth every 30 days with Dr's Best curcumin C3 and life extensions curcumin. I really can't tell much difference one vs the other. Both are amazing and worke wonders for my RA. Add in some of dr mercola's complete probiotic (inflammation starts in the gut btw) and you are golden!

You'd be a prime candidate to try Theracurmin and see if you can actually tell or feel any differences. It looks interesting but I can only find one Dr. really pushing and advocating it and that makes me hesitant.

You'd be a prime candidate to try Theracurmin and see if you can actually tell or feel any differences. It looks interesting but I can only find one Dr. really pushing and advocating it and that makes me hesitant.

Well during the month I used the Life Extension's curcumin, I felt good now back to the C3 and feel good but I think the LE brand was better...but sometimes I have good weeks sometimes I have bad so either the LE is better or I was on a bad week of the RA. The write up on their brand is awesome:

Super Bio-Curcumin, 400 mg 60 vegetarian capsules

"Studies show that one 400 mg capsule a day of this turmeric compound can provide curcumin blood levels equal to ingesting 2,500–2,800 mg of commercial curcumin supplements. And not only does this turmeric formulation provide far greater peak blood levels, but the curcumin remains in the bloodstream almost twice as long as conventional supplements."

I personally just prefer to down a heaping tablespoon of Turmeric powder with Water. It's really gross, but it's a super cheap way for daily supplementation. I started researching all these different options and which one is best, then saw guys injecting curcumin. Just seemed a bit much to spend a lot of dough for what is a natural herb. I've even eaten raw turmeric root before - don't try it. Your mouth will be yellow for days!! :D Works though.

I personally just prefer to down a heaping tablespoon of Turmeric powder with Water. It's really gross, but it's a super cheap way for daily supplementation. I started researching all these different options and which one is best, then saw guys injecting curcumin. Just seemed a bit much to spend a lot of dough for what is a natural herb. I've even eaten raw turmeric root before - don't try it. Your mouth will be yellow for days!! :D Works though.

Not really. It's fairly worthless. You can't compare taking a heaping tbsp of tumeric to taking Curcumin (BCM-95) or injectable. It's like comparing a BB Gun to a Rocket Launcher. Do you have any idea how little curcumin is in tumeric and how much tumeric you would have to ingest to get a decent level of curcumin in your body?

In my research the last day or so...I have become increasingly interested in Longvida.

Anyone have any input?

So how much are you taking on a daily basis? and do you take any break at all or is it continuous.?

I cap 3 times a day with food. No breaks not sure if it's needed. I'm getting full fasted blood work Monday as my yearly check up so see if anything is out of wack. Been on the curcumin for a little over 2 months straight and after 3-4 weeks I really noticed a difference. I also stopped my arthritis meds and feel fine.

I cap 3 times a day with food. No breaks not sure if it's needed. I'm getting full fasted blood work Monday as my yearly check up so see if anything is out of wack. Been on the curcumin for a little over 2 months straight and after 3-4 weeks I really noticed a difference. I also stopped my arthritis meds and feel fine.

I cannot find it right now but someone in the know did write or tell me that BCM-95 was actually taken on an empty stomach in one of the studies where the results showed to be excellent....but you would never be able to really tell because they don't make it clear...

In my research the last day or so...I have become increasingly interested in Longvida.

Anyone have any input?

I think that's just some curcumin with some oil for better absorption which I think is sorta what the life extension brand is.

Meriva is the most backed curcumin formulation. Longvida's data doesn't add up and not enough clinical trials to back up it up as meriva or even sabinsa's C3 reduct.

1 g / day and you will be golden.

BCM-95 is interesting but phytosome delivery is much more scientifically validated.

I think that's just some curcumin with some oil for better absorption which I think is sorta what the life extension brand is.

I've been listening to a webinar where and M.D. is saying Longvida is the BEST choice and the only one with human trials/studies. He specifically states that BCM-95 does not and questions the studies/graphs that are posted about it.

It also has sections on Vitamin D and Multivitamins..

**broken link removed**

Meriva is the most backed curcumin formulation. Longvida's data doesn't add up and not enough clinical trials to back up it up as meriva or even sabinsa's C3 reduct.

1 g / day and you will be golden.

BCM-95 is interesting but phytosome delivery is much more scientifically validated.

Please get to a computer and back your claims with more than just opinion. I'd really love to see some substantial support.

Please get to a computer and back your claims with more than just opinion. I'd really love to see some substantial support.

Lol it isn't opinion. I don't have time to do this for you I'm sorry. Don't have to believe me but what I am saying is completely backed by clinical trials or publications. I am well versed in science, got my degree in biology and have done research at Harvard and Brigham & Women's so I'm not just an internet bro haha

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner