over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Can Losartan lower hematocrit?

nothuman

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Came across this thread: https://www.excelmale.com/showthrea...hematocrit-caused-by-testosterone-replacement

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9621296

Losartan, an angiotensin II type 1 receptor antagonist, lowers hematocrit in posttransplant erythrocytosis.
Julian BA1, Brantley RR Jr, Barker CV, Stopka T, Gaston RS, Curtis JJ, Lee JY, Prchal JT.
Author information

Abstract
The mechanism by which angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors reduce red cell mass in renal transplant recipients with erythrocytosis is unclear. To examine the role of angiotensin II in this disorder, losartan (a competitive antagonist of the angiotensin II type 1 [AT1] receptor) was administered to 23 patients with erythrocytosis. Fourteen patients took 25 mg/d for 8 wk; nine others were treated with 50 mg/d for 8 wk. Hematocrit decreased from 0.527 +/- 0.027 to 0.487 +/- 0.045 after 8 wk (P < 0.01)--by at least 0.04 in 19 patients. Decrement in hematocrit in the initial 8 wk of therapy was significantly greater in patients administered 50 mg/d than in patients on 25 mg/d. Twelve of 14 patients initially treated with 25 mg/d showed a small change in hematocrit; the dose was increased to 50 mg/d for 8 more wk. Hematocrit decreased from 0.528 +/- 0.030 before losartan treatment to 0.483 +/- 0.055 after 16 wk (P < 0.01). After therapy, serum erythropoietin significantly decreased in eight patients with elevated baseline levels, but not in 15 patients with normal baseline levels; however, hematocrit significantly decreased in both groups. Losartan was withdrawn in 16 patients; hematocrit increased from 0.440 +/- 0.057 to 0.495 +/- 0.049 after 8.9 +/- 7.5 wk (P < 0.001), without change in serum erythropoietin. Thus, specific blockade of AT1 receptors inhibited erythropoiesis, suggesting a pathogenic role for angiotensin II in posttransplant erythrocytosis.

Very interesting study. If this were true, wouldn't more hematologists prescribe this as an effective means to lower hematocrit? Would be interested to hear more!

Hell i may have to grab some and get at it myself, even off trt my hematocrit rose to a 51....wtf

And have to go in for weekly phlems now and once i add my trt and deca, it seems to at least level out at a 52 or 53, but still nit good, but level

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Does anyone carry this ?

I see there is a generic as well called hyzaar

I could be wrong, but I believe this is available prescription only?
And so are most thing people still get.....;)

Very interesting study. If this were true, wouldn't more hematologists prescribe this as an effective means to lower hematocrit? Would be interested to hear more!

Very interesting indeed. It does make me wonder why docs don't prescribe it,, looks like the study from pubmed was done in 1998.

Any angiotensin receptor antagonist or ACE inhibitor could in theory impede upon erythrocytosis. The impacts of ACE inhibitors on erythrocytosis has been most prominent in ESRD patients post renal transplant. As others have pointed out, the impact will likely be negligible in someone stimulating erythrocytosis via gear, etc. The most effective things I’ve found are to reduce iron absorption via a PPI and to add naringin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems to me that a phlebotomy would be a better way to go for most people.. As the drug would have to have side effects. And bleeding once in awhile isn't much of a hardship.

Anyways I spoke to Stewie. Any different would be marginal at best. I know that Telmisartan doesn't help

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear