over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Potassium Out Of Range

natrol

Registered
It seems there is contradicting information between the link between AAS and Hyperkalemia.

In December I had my potassium tested and it came back at 5.7 mmol/L with a range of 3.5-5.0

Just had bloods done today again and my potassium came back at 5.5 mmol/L. Same range.

My creatinine is perfect and so is my estimated GFR, and all other general chemistry for my Kidney function.

Just my Potassium remains elevated.

I was thinking maybe GH could be causing it as well, but I was hoping someone here could shed light on this as I am sure I'm not the first one who has encountered a test result like this.

Thank you.

Last edited:
You really shouldn't be worrying about such a test result. It's most likely down to a simple reason but obviously monitor things. The fact it hasn't risen and gone down slightly is a good thing too. What is your diet like? Do you drink a lot of orange juice, coconut water or have many bananas, tomatoes (plus other foods/drinks high in potassium)? Are you using a salt subsitute with higher potassium? Are you drinking lots of water everyday? What about supplements or weightgainers etc?

It's most likely a very simple reason and the value is not very high and can easily be lowered. Obviously certain drugs can make you hold more potassium too so it could be something you are taking. Have you been injured recently? Injuries can make you hold more potassium too. Again monitor things and lower potassium slightly and I am sure your levels will be fine next time.

You really shouldn't be worrying about such a test result. It's most likely down to a simple reason but obviously monitor things. The fact it hasn't risen and gone down slightly is a good thing too. What is your diet like? Do you drink a lot of orange juice, coconut water or have many bananas, tomatoes (plus other foods/drinks high in potassium)? Are you using a salt subsitute with higher potassium? Are you drinking lots of water everyday? What about supplements or weightgainers etc?

It's most likely a very simple reason and the value is not very high and can easily be lowered. Obviously certain drugs can make you hold more potassium too so it could be something you are taking. Have you been injured recently? Injuries can make you hold more potassium too. Again monitor things and lower potassium slightly and I am sure your levels will be fine next time.

Diet is low in potassium. Don't use any potassium sparing diuretics, I don't use salt substitutes, I honestly have a lot less potassium than I should be having (according to normal dietary guidelines).

I am assuming it is the test or gh inflating the number via some mechanism of Potassium retention like you mentioned.

The issue is my doctor is treating it like it's full blown renal failure and is essentially ignoring any of my issues that need addressing until they "get this figured out".

My potassium has been out of range high for years now .Last bloodwork it was 5.6 My doctor isn't concerned about it at all . Usually that is the only marker on my bloodwork that is out of range .like Elvia said , you shouldn't worry .If everything else comes back in range and you are slightly high with potassium it is of no concern

I ended in hospital because of this 2014. Thought i was dying. What a horrible pain. You should worry about this

I ended in hospital because of this 2014. Thought i was dying. What a horrible pain. You should worry about this

Because his potassium was 5.7mmol and has just got down to 5.5mmol he should worry? Maybe he should phone an ambulance now. I am all for being safe than sorry but his levels aren't even that high. He just needs to monitor things and if they up again then do something about it. What were your levels in hospital? Surely something else happened to you? You don't end up in hospital thinking you are dying because you have slightly elevated potassium for a few months.

Because his potassium was 5.7mmol and has just got down to 5.5mmol he should worry? Maybe he should phone an ambulance now. I am all for being safe than sorry but his levels aren't even that high. He just needs to monitor things and if they up again then do something about it. What were your levels in hospital? Surely something else happened to you? You don't end up in hospital thinking you are dying because you have slightly elevated potassium for a few months.

Yes ofc he should worry about it.. dont act stupid. My levels went up to 6.0 and i couldnt walk. I was puking endlessly and sweating. Doctor said i could have die. My heart could stop. Why are you telling he should not worry. Give me reason why he shouldnt. You dont know if his level will rise again.

From my understanding high potassium needs to be looked into cause long periods could indicate heart issues or cause heart issues.
According to my dr and cardiologist.

But when we dug deeper, working out causes the cells to secrete pot. Into the blood stream. I was at 6.0 but when i dont work out that day im about 4.5.

Like liver values testing dont work out for least 24 hours before test. Now if youve done this i suggest digging bit deeper

I've had this issue on labs before twice. In "my" case, it was most likely due to Hemolysis which can be from the damaged cells during the draw itself. My MD who does integrative medicine gave me an IV bag but I can't remember the contents. Both times, we retested 7-10 days later and results were in range.

Again, this was "my" experience, but yes, elevated levels could be serious.

Yes ofc he should worry about it.. dont act stupid. My levels went up to 6.0 and i couldnt walk. I was puking endlessly and sweating. Doctor said i could have die. My heart could stop. Why are you telling he should not worry. Give me reason why he shouldnt. You dont know if his level will rise again.
Exactly.. potassium levels i feel are overlooked cause potassium is so healthy.

Did you pin point what caused it exactly?

Most of the cases of bodybuilders I hear with renal failure it is the result of the abuse of NSAIDs.

Not much info online about AAS and GH's impact on Potassium levels.

Not really, doctors blamed it all on steroids. It must be the AAS because i remember 6month prior (off cycle) my levels were 4.8 and another reason why i think it is the aas, is bcz recently my friend had very high levels and he had to spend 2 weeks in hospital.. he was very abusive regarding aas. This thing shouldnt be taking lightly... the night i went to hospital, my gf had to drag me in the emergency floor. I really thought i was dying.. i never have experience such a pain.

The cycle i was doing was test, tren and deca.

This thing hit me suddenly. So for the op i would monitor carefully and not ingest no potassium

I've had this issue on labs before twice. In "my" case, it was most likely due to Hemolysis which can be from the damaged cells during the draw itself. My MD who does integrative medicine gave me an IV bag but I can't remember the contents. Both times, we retested 7-10 days later and results were in range.

Again, this was "my" experience, but yes, elevated levels could be serious.

Definitely. This reply isn't to you but I wasn't stating elevated potassium isn't serious. I was merely stating a 5.7 to a 5.5 is something to monitor and try and get down but he shouldn't be stressing and calling himself an ambulance over it. There could be a simple explanation. I know the OP fairly well and I don't think he is abusing himself with oral aas or taking 20 painkillers a day so if he lowers potassium a little he should be ok. If he is retested and it's still elevated then obviously things need to be looked into more.

Definitely. This reply isn't to you but I wasn't stating elevated potassium isn't serious. I was merely stating a 5.7 to a 5.5 is something to monitor and try and get down but he shouldn't be stressing and calling himself an ambulance over it. There could be a simple explanation. I know the OP fairly well and I don't think he is abusing himself with oral aas or taking 20 painkillers a day so if he lowers potassium a little he should be ok. If he is retested and it's still elevated then obviously things need to be looked into more.

Nobody was talking about calling an ambulance over it. All i meant. Take it with caution, keep monitoring, when your level goes higher than normal, because you dont know if you will collapse on the floor like i did.

I'm pretty sure it can happen from squeezing your hand that bloods being drawn from too hard.

It seems there is contradicting information between the link between AAS and Hyperkalemia.

In December I had my potassium tested and it came back at 5.7 mmol/L with a range of 3.5-5.0

Just had bloods done today again and my potassium came back at 5.5 mmol/L. Same range.

My creatinine is perfect and so is my estimated GFR, and all other general chemistry for my Kidney function.

Just my Potassium remains elevated.

I was thinking maybe GH could be causing it as well, but I was hoping someone here could shed light on this as I am sure I'm not the first one who has encountered a test result like this.

Thank you.

Ask your MD to test you for Hyperkalemia.

potassium levels rising is also an indicator of increased cell turnover
I wouldn't be concerned unless levels come back at 6.0+

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear