YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

[ENLIGHTEN ME] WHY DO I FEEL STANDING CALF RAISES BETTER WHEN I BEND MY LEGS MORE?

JETHRO TULL

FOUNDING Member / Featured Member / Verified Custo
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
FOR SOME REASON I CAN FEEL THEM MORE, FLEX THEM HARDER, KILL THEM OFF WORSE WHEN I BEND MY KNEES MORE THAN WHEN I KEEP MY LEGS NEARLY STRAIGHT ON THE MOVEMENT.

WHY IS THAT?

JUST THOUGHT ONE OF YOU KNOWLEDGABLE GUYS ON HERE MIGHT HAVE SOME INSIGHT INTO THE SITUATION. I JUST GOT DONE WITH CALVES AND I AM SHOT. :eek:

JETHRO TULL said:
FOR SOME REASON I CAN FEEL THEM MORE, FLEX THEM HARDER, KILL THEM OFF WORSE WHEN I BEND MY KNEES MORE THAN WHEN I KEEP MY LEGS NEARLY STRAIGHT ON THE MOVEMENT.

WHY IS THAT?

JUST THOUGHT ONE OF YOU KNOWLEDGABLE GUYS ON HERE MIGHT HAVE SOME INSIGHT INTO THE SITUATION. I JUST GOT DONE WITH CALVES AND I AM SHOT. :eek:

Better levarage. I always bend them in the contraction and only lock them straight in the bottom stretch.

You're activating the soleus as well when you bend the knee. The soleus cannot contract when the leg is straight. So naturally you will feel it more when you activate both the soleus and the gastroc vs. just the gastroc.

Rex.

JETHRO TULL said:

Ever try the belt used for dips? Put it around your waist(with weight of course) bend over like donkey calf raises, bend your knees and go. Great pump.

Temp

THANKS FELLAS!

I APPRECIATE IT. I KNEW I FELT IT MORE....JUST WONDERED WHY...

I NOW FEEL ENLIGHTENED....PLUS I MIGHT EVEN BE ABLE TO TELL OTHERS THE REASON WHY...INSTEAD OF...."JUST DO THEM LIKE THAT AND BE QUIET!" LOL..

JETHRO TULL said:

WHY IS THAT?

You BASTARD. You just had to throw it in my face. My gym no longer has a standing or seated calf raise :(

lol. I hate my fucking gym. What kinda self respecting gym has no standing or seated calf raise. Gotta use some bs rotary calf and then go over to leg press. Grr

Trappe SW, Trappe TA, Lee GA, Costill DL. Calf muscle strength in humans. Int J Sports Med: Apr;22(3):186-91, 2001.:

A slight bend in the knee produces slightly more torque than a straight leg (160 degress VS 180 degrees).

asim said:
lol. I hate my fucking gym. What kinda self respecting gym has no standing or seated calf raise. Gotta use some bs rotary calf and then go over to leg press. Grr
I remember Tom Prince complaining that Gold's Venice didn't have a standing calf raise (this was a couple of years ago). WTF :confused:

KillerStack said:
I remember Tom Prince complaining that Gold's Venice didn't have a standing calf raise (this was a couple of years ago). WTF :confused:

We just got one last week as a matter of fact. Stack is light though. We've had this quasi standing raise for years. I say quasi b/c its not straight up and down. It angles forward a bit. Like doing toe raises on the hack machine, except not that far forward.

Rex.

You gotta appreciate the simplicity of standing and seated calf raise machines. Especially when they are gone. Then you gotta make shit up. I'm gonna buy a dip belt, hang weights off myself then do calf raises on the incline bench platform.

This is the first lesson...

I teach to all my new clients. I show them the difference between the contraction of my calfs when my legs are locked and when my knees have a slight bend. They always remarked with, "wow"! I can see a huge difference. 98% of the people I watch do train their calfs with their knees locked. Well, parents not withstanding, they have no calves.

Last edited:
I have sorry-ass calves. When I've tried standing raises with totally straight legs I have NO strength. So I'm wondering if doing them like that would still be best to bring up the gastrocs (by taking out the soleus)? I never felt standing raises did much, seated seem to stimulate a little growth maybe. :p

Nice..! Yeah i noticed it too and have been doing it that way, like Big A and the others, for some time now. Works great on leg press machines when doing calves too..!

THANKS, FELLAS!

WE HAVE NO COUCH OR NO CHAIR....NO FURNITURE OTHER THAN A KING SIZED BED AT OUR APARTMENT...BUT WE DO HAVE BOTH A STANDING AND A SEATED CALF RAISE MACHINE.

ASIM, EAT YOUR HEART OUT! LOL....:)

JETHRO TULL said:
WE HAVE NO COUCH OR NO CHAIR....NO FURNITURE OTHER THAN A KING SIZED BED AT OUR APARTMENT...BUT WE DO HAVE BOTH A STANDING AND A SEATED CALF RAISE MACHINE.

ASIM, EAT YOUR HEART OUT! LOL....:)

Now that is true dedication. You dont know how jealous I am. lol I'm sure its a bitch having nothing to sit on when eating or watching tv.

Although seated calf raises arent all that expensive these days I guess. Will probably grab one and use it as a chair when I figure out where I'm gonna live :cool:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131