over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

PROS AND CONS OF BEING A BODYBUILDER

tmuscle

Kilo Klub Member
Thought this would be a fun idea

Let's get the ball rolling shall we, I'll start off with a few:

Pros:
Catching that girl look at your arms as you walk by her during a morning jog at the park
Outlifting the general population in the gym
Having a sense of accomplishment and achievement
Feeling good overall about yourself (or bad, depending on factors)

Cons:
Some people perceive you as self absorbed, vain, or even sometimes insecure without even getting to know you
Having to eat all that damn food!
The health risks involved with gear usage
Having a somewhat hermit lifestyle if you are 100% dedicated
Having to give up alcohol (for most people), when it is a pretty common thing in social events especially if you are young

Your turn! You add!

Also, pros and cons can be different for everyone.

What is a pro for one person may be a con for another, and vice versa

All about your own pros and cons or some that are universally applicable to everyone

Although I'm not there yet or will ever be, if you're a 300lb bodybuilder i'm sure it would be difficult to go up several flights of stairs or tieing your own shoes must be a CON for sure!

All that food is in the pro column for me, I love eating :)

Haven't had alcohol in 3.5 years and that is another pro for me but I agree on the other points for sure.

pro/con

pros- at least three comments a day on your size.

cons- at least three comments a day on your size.

Im sure we have all experienced the ego boost of the girl behind the counter
of restaurant giving you that look then askin if your some sort of bodybuilder.

Im also sure we have run into that lucky kid we I decided not to pick up and slam head first on the ground after he thought he snuck in a comment about steroid use in front of his friends.

Jealousy can make people stupid.

Con- Getting dirty looks by the staff when you go to the buffet.

Pros- Knowing that my wife and child feel protected at all times when daddy is with them.

Pros- Knowing that my wife and child feel protected at all times when daddy is with them.

Cons- but reality is most pros wouldn't make it past the 1min mark of a real fight...

Pros
-a sense of achievement when accomplishing long and short term goals
-lifting a shit ton of weight giving you that feeling of being inhuman
-looking good with and without clothes.

Cons
-expense of food and supplements
-having to manage your time well so you can prep food, workout consistently, while still making time for family and work.
-if enhanced, probably some long term damage or increased risk for it.

Last edited:
Another con. I really don't like it when guys just walk up to me and say, "Damn man, you are huge" because I don't even know how to answer that. I just say, "thankyou buddy, I will take that as a compliment".

Pro. One of the coolest things that happened to me was when I was at a minor league pro wrestling event, and several of the wrestlers were pointing at me thru out the show and calling me out. After a while, I stood up and then started flexing for the cameras. The best part was that my son said, "that was the coolest thing ever dad, the crowd was even cheering for you".

Cons- but reality is most pros wouldn't make it past the 1min mark of a real fight...

well, how many guys out there in the general population know how to fight or are trained in various martial arts (MMA). in most situations, it comes down to height and size. and most fights don't last that long, so a bodybuilder can hold his own before getting gassed

Another con. I really don't like it when guys just walk up to me and say, "Damn man, you are huge" because I don't even know how to answer that. I just say, "thankyou buddy, I will take that as a compliment".

Pro. One of the coolest things that happened to me was when I was at a minor league pro wrestling event, and several of the wrestlers were pointing at me thru out the show and calling me out. After a while, I stood up and then started flexing for the cameras. The best part was that my son said, "that was the coolest thing ever dad, the crowd was even cheering for you".

LOL, yeah I had something like that happen to me once and my girls loved it. We were at a Medieval Times where you watch the knights in armor fight while you eat. Each section of the grand stands has a different knight fighting for them and ours was getting his ass beat. A bunch of the people in our area stood up and starting pointing at me and said we need him in there. I stood up and they put the spotlight on me. Pretty funny.

BTW, if you get a chance check one of them out! We went to the one in Orlando/ Kissimmee.
Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament

Last edited:

that's the coolest thing ever dude. hopefully one day if i have a child of my own he will be proud of my muscles :D must feel awesome knowing that your son thinks of you as a real-life superhero. that would make me feel amazing

also, if other people give me compliments i throw one right back at them in return. even if they aren't as well developed or fit as i am or whatever, or if it's coming from a girl. like if a girl says to me, "you're pretty built, you work out a lot", i'll be like "well look at you girl, you must be putting time in the gym as well!" (even if she is on the pudgier side). iono, i like making others feel good

Honestly, there are more cons than pros.

I wish I was secure with myself so I could be happy with the way I looked, and did it naturally just to stay in shape and be healthy. but it was never good enough, too much ego !

Last edited:
I love the discipline and goal oriented nature but hate the mind job. It leads to serious psychological issues for some.

My overall relationship with food is basically anorexia. Bodybuilding is the only sport/activity/lifestyle where you can be too fat and too skinny at the same time.

I wish I was secure with myself so I could be happy with the way I looked, and did it naturally just to stay in shape and be healthy. but it wasn't enough, too much ego !

If only steroids didn't exist and there was an even playing field...

too bad a 100% dedicated natural will never hold a candle to a juiced trainee. Assuming genetics are the same of course. then again you have a gifted natural who blows a guy on juice with shit genetics out of the water

In this world, how you measure up is against others. a great natural body doesn't look so great compared to a juiced body. but if the juiced body didn't exist, then i wouldn't mind being natural at all

also, on the issue of "being secure with how you look". i find that there are two types of bodybuilders: the first kind is the one with the athletic background who finds a love for training and loves to improve and they will always be secure with themselves. then you have the second kind, the person who got into it because they are insecure about their body, and their growing obsession with their body becomes something they are never completely secure about

Last edited:
Pros
-Im not like everyone else
-An understanding of my body many will never experience
-having a true passion that keeps you up at night talking to strangers on a forum with hopes of gaining any knowledge that will help you achieve your goals
-the positive attention I get from friends, family, and strangers about nutrition and training
-i now know more about nutrition than i thought i ever knew
-makes my wife proud and my kids feel safe
-i look better

Cons
-something always hurts
-expensive
-setting goals that may never be met (still better than none)
-the feeling of leading a double life
-hard to go anywhere without some dipshit wanting to challenge you
-most nice clothes fit like shit
-health is compromised
-very consuming
-for most, its illegal!

Old dudes

I'm 54 years old and get a comment that I don't know if I should say thank you or F#ck off: "I sure hope I look as good as you at your age." Hell, I didn't think I looked that fricken old…lol. However, I do get a lot of compliments that I look younger than I am. It kind of a mixed review.

that's the coolest thing ever dude. hopefully one day if i have a child of my own he will be proud of my muscles :D must feel awesome knowing that your son thinks of you as a real-life superhero. that would make me feel amazing

also, if other people give me compliments i throw one right back at them in return. even if they aren't as well developed or fit as i am or whatever, or if it's coming from a girl. like if a girl says to me, "you're pretty built, you work out a lot", i'll be like "well look at you girl, you must be putting time in the gym as well!" (even if she is on the pudgier side). iono, i like making others feel good

People love it when you deflect and then talk about them. Then they start asking you questions about how to bulk, or cut.

I wish I was secure with myself so I could be happy with the way I looked, and did it naturally just to stay in shape and be healthy. but it was never good enough, too much ego !
Why do this if you feel it brings that much negativity.

Good comments here, pros and cons are pretty universal no matter what country you are in.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131