over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Question for the 50+ year old members

Reload

Verified Customer
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
How have you guys/ladies modified your training to preserve joint heath as you've gotten older? I turned 50 this year and I'm quickly learning that my connective tissue (especially tendons) can't handle the heavy weights like I used to. Torn shoulder tendons, bulging discs, arthritis in the right knee...it goes on and on:(
I love the gym and everything about it. It's a lifestyle I want to continue into my 80's god willing but these injuries as of late are just depressing the hell out of me.

I hear you on the back, shoulder and knee problems (two herniated discs, had surgery for one, my right shoulder will never be the same and has bothered me for years and now my knees are giving me warning signs too). I´ve had to move away from some exercises and also concentrate on higher reps and more time under tension. My advice is to embrace recovery (I´m really liking a peptopro and HBCD intra workout drink) and also give mobility and flexibility the time they deserve, I also try to go for a brisk 45-55 minute walk two or three times per week, no high intensity cardio for me.

Dante had some pretty solid advice for lifters over 35 which is what I´m doing, check it out here:

Advanced lifters over 35 article by Dante (Doggcrapp) on Intense Muscle

I’ve done some extensive research into when it stars going south for most bodybuilders etc. and not just everyday guys, but those who kept up on themselves over the years. Yeah we can all see the differences between our 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s but my research was based on kind of when you hit that final wall and you knew it was downhill from there. So in my research it seems to hit between 49-54 for like 95% of us. Literally that’s the age range when you are finally forced to accept, it’s not coming back the same. It doesn’t mean you can’t stay on the top of your game for your age and everything else, but you’re just not gonna build and recover and do the things you did up through your 40s anymore.

I’m 51, just turned and for SURE, this year there has been a decline.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm over 50 and over the past several years I've abandoned the heavy training and do almost exclusively high volume training. It has certainly been successful if you measure success by the avoidance of injury, and reduction in the constant aches and pains I was experiencing from the traditional heavy training.

I don't think I've lost much size, but I certainly haven't gained any more size. My guess is that you can still make size gains on high volume with good diet and adequate AAS dosing. As I've gotten older the diet component of the equation in hitting my goals has continued to get bigger and bigger.

I've incorporated a lot more super sets in order to lighten the load yet still get an intense workout.

Going on 59 and still in excellent shape. I start out with 4 sets of 20 to 25 reps to warm up. I rarely go below 12 any more. I do super sets, and if I want more work load, Rest pause sets. I do them this way and end of routine: 12 reps (rest 5 seconds) 8 reps (rest 5 seconds) 5 reps finish. I do 2 sets like this end of routine.

Attachments

• 7-23-18 (1).jpg
    7-23-18 (1).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:
I’ve done some extensive research into when it stars going south for most bodybuilders etc. and not just everyday guys, but those who kept up on themselves over the years. Yeah we can all see the differences between our 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s but my research was based on kind of when you hit that final wall and you knew it was downhill from there. So in my research it seems to hit between 49-54 for like 95% of us. Literally that’s the age range when you are finally forced to accept, it’s not coming back the same. It doesn’t mean you can’t stay on the top of your game for your age and everything else, but you’re just not gonna build and recover and do the things you did up through your 40s anymore.

I’m 51, just turned and for SURE, this year there has been a decline.

Man that true for me. I will be 52 next month and it feels like just the past few years I have started feeling old. I use to tear and pull shit and always felt tight until I started taking 2-3 ius of HGH/day (last 8 years). I found this allows me to still use decent poundages and hit daily workouts hard without fear of injury. My issues now are more joint related (knees, back) that make me alter my leg workouts now.

Going on 59 and still in excellent shape. I start out with 4 sets of 20 to 25 reps to warm up. I rarely go below 12 any more. I do super sets, and if I want more work load, Rest pause sets. I do them this way and end of routine: 12 reps (rest 5 seconds) 8 reps (rest 5 seconds) 5 reps finish. I do 2 sets like this end of routine.

wow, near EXACT same things i do
-F2S

None of the advice applies if your name is concreter.....

Pesty you look great! Super lean & almost 60...wow.

*Less weight, more reps, good form.
No more ego lifting. No more more doubles. No more PR's. Hard for someone who's roots are in powerlifting.

Do joint supplements make much of a difference once the damage is done?
I would imagine losing about 20 lbs can't hurt. I'm sure the knees and heart would thank me.

my opinion

How have you guys/ladies modified your training to preserve joint heath as you've gotten older? I turned 50 this year and I'm quickly learning that my connective tissue (especially tendons) can't handle the heavy weights like I used to. Torn shoulder tendons, bulging discs, arthritis in the right knee...it goes on and on:(
I love the gym and everything about it. It's a lifestyle I want to continue into my 80's god willing but these injuries as of late are just depressing the hell out of me.

My opinion and my experience with others is that eventually, as you age
you pay for the indiscretions of your youth. Youth if very forgiving of
‘errors’ (and as they say, is wasted on the young) and your over
overzealousness and or ignorance will, eventually, to most everybody,
come back to haunt you.

The powerlifters, Olympic lifters (those two especially) are the worst
‘offenders’ with bodybuilders, now especially as the heavy usage of
PEDS building strength faster than the connective tissue; ligaments and
tendons are able to cope with, are a close second. Unfortunately most
of the damage that was accomplished(?) in our youth was well disguised
or ignored and sadly cannot be undone leaving surgical intervention
often times, being our only source of relief.

I am 64 now and started lifting when I was 18 years old. I would like
to think I was wise in my youth which accounts for my zero aches and
pains or structural damage (did not use AAS, now on TRT) but I had
an excellent mentor that taught me to avoid explosive movements,
control the weight -- don’t let the weight control you, and use
relatively high repetitions while not increasing the resistance too
frequently and to move at a fast pace (not movement) through your
workout. I rarely, if ever, tried to see how much I could lift for a
maximum of 1 rep. I am not that kind of guy.

Also, I my weight never yo-yoed up and down which is one of the
things that is really bad for you, really hard on your joints when heavy
and fucks up your metabolism and so called set points, only to rear
its ugly head later in life when to try to return to some sort of normalcy.
I feel bad for the guys here that keep doing this to themselves; get fat,
get lean, get fat, get lean, ad nauseam, especially if they use fat burners.
Just wait I think to myself (here, now); before you know it, it will it
will be too late to turn back the hands of time having done irreversible
‘damage’ to your metabolism and where you store fat. Stay as lean
as you can possibly be while slowly increasing muscle mass. That has
been my mantra.

But I digress . . . sorry.

Finally, I think is only natural for the ageing process to be in some
ways ‘depressing’ especially if you have injuries that may or may not
be healing or correctable and especially, if after having been obsessed
with oneself for so long (not speaking to you directly, only to the
bodybuilding culture in general) only to see the irreversible, slow
decline as you age, when comparing the now to the what was. The
bigger the delta the stronger the emotions. Few people get that,
hence the rise in the masters division . . . old(er) people chasing their
long lost youth.

Train sensibly, eat right, get what you can fixed and make the best
of what you got. And be happy with it . . . which is easier said than
done I know. But you have no other choice in my opinion.

I wish you nothing but the best moving forward. Stay well.

62 years old and still competing
I train with supersets , trisets and giant sets Milos style . My split is push-pull-legs then repeat . I take a day off when i feel i need it
mini_181020025004403358.jpg

I'm only 34 and already knackered up lol. I was forced to adapt my training style entirely to more volume, lots of reps and lighter weights focusing on the quality of contractions over moving as heavy weight as possible.

This may have been in blessing in disguise though since it is the way most pro's train anyway so clearly, it also works. For arms and shoulders especially, lightening up the load seems to be the way to go.

None of the advice applies if your name is concreter.....

i think you could use any Chuck Norris joke and insert Concretr instead of Chuck and same effect.

"Concretr is so tough he gives cigarettes cancer.":D
yup. it works. :)
-F2S

Pesty you look great! Super lean & almost 60...wow.

*Less weight, more reps, good form.
No more ego lifting. No more more doubles. No more PR's. Hard for someone who's roots are in powerlifting.

Do joint supplements make much of a difference once the damage is done?
I would imagine losing about 20 lbs can't hurt. I'm sure the knees and heart would thank me.

yeah i wanna know if joint supps really work....?
-F2S

I had to quit lifting heavy at 37 after some major injuries. I'm 43 now. I still have aches and pains from old injuries, but I don't feel like I'm doing any more damage.

I like lifting in the 10 to 12 rep range, lots of sets with short rest periods. A typical upper body workout will have 30 sets in 60 minutes. I still lift with intensity, but I feel safe doing things this way with lighter weights than I used to lift.

Thank you very much guys.

Alfresco, I realize that post took some time to type and I appreciate your putting your heart into it. I have some serious regrets but like you've said...I have no choice but to make the best of what I have.

It's time for a change. I feel as if reality has finally caught up with me and I need to face it. My body is simply beat to hell!

I'm 64 and I use ridiculously light weights. For instance I put one 45lb plate on each side of the hammer strength incline machine and do 8 sets of 20 reps. Nothing hurts and I get a fantastic pump! Leg press 2 plates on each side for the same reps and sets. Could I do more....most definitely but I really like the way I feel and look. Most importantly I feel I can do this for many more years to come. Still love going to the gym and eat fairly clean. No TRT as test levels are fairly good. I have been doing this since about age 58 and always kept my reps between 12-15 for most of my years in the gym!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131