over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are we a "dying breed"?

Goody

Registered
Something ive been thinking a bit about lately and am noticing more and more..wanted your guys thoughts on this...I cant be the only one who thinks this...sure I'll get flamed by a few but here goes...
First off, im in my 30's and been training since my early teen years...I was brought up to train big and eat even bigger...thats how we all trained growing up...I grew up with guys like Arnold, He-Man action figures..Rambo.."Action jackson" etc...on the big screen.
I look at this newer generation today...say 24 and under...and man..to put it bluntly..they train like pussies...their afraid to sweat..afraid to lift heavy ass weight....afraid to train with a little attitude...they eat like little kids....they think guys like Brad Pitt, Keanu Reeves and the "Abercombie models" are "jacked"....out of the 3 or 4 local gyms I frequent...maybe 1 or 2 of them have what it takes...and even those guys are sloppy as shit with their diet and just bump up the "mg's" to make up for it...
Go to the shows and its less and less young guys it seems...meanwhile the masters division is exploding in numbers and talent...
What do you think? Will it come back around full circle eventually? Or are the hay days over? Is BB'ing just too freaky now for the general population to even give it a shot?

i honestly think it is a combination of things. one lazyness two there are so many new theories and ways to train. some might have medical conditions where they can't train hard or heavy. also with so many new techniques being used to train the muscle. but look at gyms these days. i have read other peoples threads on them being asked to leave cause they have sleeveless shirt on or grunting while working out. they say it is intimidating to the other clients. they want a more friendly enviroment. me i have everything i need in my garage. i don't need to go to the gym. our gym here where i live i went there and if you get 5 people in there its crowded. i just spent about 5 grand and bought my own equipment. i work for the railroad so when i get in at 3 in the morning and want to work out i can. i don't have to wait for the gym to open up. we dont' have a 24 hour gym here either. they say insurance is to high. ive been training for 20 years. i train heavy some days i train lite some days. depending on how i feel. with mainstream society it is almost like taboo to look like coleman, greene and several mass monsters.

Last edited:
This is why men's bikini is becoming more and more popular. Thin is in...

Is BB'ing just too freaky now for the general population to even give it a shot?
I won't make any comments regarding the younger people training like pussies but as far as bodybuilding goes, This is only my opinion, but absolutely yes bodybuilding is too freaky, today's top bodybuilders are not visually appealing to 99% of the population. The physique class is getting more and more popular it is a look that appeals to more people, and i believe most think it is a look that is attainable naturally (not saying the competitors don't use ;)). Sad to say it, but I don't see bodybuilding making a comeback any time soon

Eh, I don't think this is all that accurate. You just have more gyms and more people who are not afraid to come there and "train" for different looks.

I'm in my 30's as well and was at the same gym forever but it closed last year, now I can't find another like it. It was all the hardcore guys who were either their to compete in BB or PL/Strong man. Now the gyms are more open to guys that want to bench, do some bicep curls and abs 3 days a week, then check themselves out in the mirror and shadow box.

My old gym would show guys the proper ways to lift, or run you out of the place. But like my gym that was the only place I went my entire life, they went out of business. Gyms are a tough business so most do more to make the average guy who doesn't want to be a BB feel more comfortable.

So most gyms are overrun by guys who just want to be "toned" and don't want to be "too big". But I do agree that there are a lot of them more willing to use a ton of gear just for minor results they could easily get by eating and training. All the guys who were at my gym are spread outand since there really are no other gyms that were similar in the area, we all just find a place that's convenient and close to home.

But I personally don't even care anymore, I just go in and do my thing, and if everyone in the place just wants to work biceps and abs everyday then good for them.

we grew up watching rambo, terminator and hulk hugan and many other.

they grew up watching bieber and jersey shore. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?

I don't like the pro look but I don't think its something guys should do either wheribg trunks and standing there like the ladies do showing how sexy they are.I grew up training balls to the wall and eat to you puke.Now people eat light and clean
O eat anything and everything.I'm in my late 30 also.

I guess each to there own.

I'm 39 and lucky to have a few friends in the 20's who train hard, and are a good example to the other youngsters. And a coupe grizzled old bastards showing how it's done.

I agree about most not training very hard though. But I think BBing has done this to itself. Back in the day, we could identify with Zane and Arnold and Nubret. They were beautiful and athletic and their physiques seemed reachable, even if we know now, that was over confident of us to think so. These guys look up to fitness models and skinny actors because they look like their look can be achieved...and women like it.

Nowadays, even most of the hardcore among us don't want to look like a modern pro (not that we could). But these kids seem to fear that it's gonna happen by accident. LOL

"generation nothingness" lol

My old workout partner is 40 and would always talk about the "old days". He still has friends that come to our gym and they are all legitimately strong fuckers. All of them. I've seen him row 465 for reps going so low he touches the floor. I've seen him squat 750 without a spotter. His buddy benches 500 raw. Another guy deads over 700.

I dont even see guys in my generation squat 3 plates at my gym...

But to be fair I just went to another gym this weekend an hour and a half away from my place and it was a bunch of strong big guys and they were all in their 20's.

So like someone else said, I think a combination of a few things. Pussy ass bitch syndrome, bigger gym crowds now (planet fitness type crowds), and it depends on location and the gym atmosphere. We are still out there though.

Last edited:
It's all cyclical man, just give it time.

I'm 21 and I'm gunna get huge, we are still here at the younger generation, just everyone seems to be getting either really small or really obese

I'm only 24 and I'll agree with you that 99% of the people around my age are gigantic pussies! They think they drinking 6 weight gainer shakes a day is a good bulking diet and their training is sad!! Between the 5min rest periods to talk to friends, their gym bag having every gimmick product knows to man, or the extreme ratio between their upper and lower bodies, its PATHETIC.

It'll never be like the golden era ever again.

Too much fucking GAY for PAY going on in the IFBB

i am in my mid 30s when i was young.......7 or 8 this insane show called "conan the barbarian" came on. that was what i considered to be the ultimate bad ass! arnold! fast forward to today,not that long ago the redid conan the barbarian with a new guy.....anyone seen this joke of a guy???? hes smaller than arnolds left thigh! wtf????? today just isnt like it used to be i guess.:confused:

25 years ago the couple of gyms that were in my area were Hardcore. As far as I knew there was only one way to grow. Lift as heavy as you can and eat as much as you could.Thats how everyone trained in those days. Years of training, injuries and a slowing metabolism have made me have to think differently. All those hardcore gyms have closed. Luckily I found a gym that is owned by one of the old school bodybuilders from one of the hardcore gyms I use to work out at 20 plus years ago. Don't get me wrong there are alot of just regular guys in there just trying to get all Jersey Shore as well as the soccer moms on the treadmills. But they have dumbells that go up to 140lbs and a handfull of guys just strong enough to throw them around! We have quite a few guys that bench over 500lbs. And of course an occasional weight gets dropped..lol..No one even looks in our direction.

Lots of good points being made...glad to hear there are still some young bucs who wanna get it done...

There are a couple in my gym that I help out as much as I can...just like the vets who helped me early on...passing it down as best I can...trying to get them to learn from my mistakes... Most however start talking gear 2 or 3 mins. into their very first conversation...I wont help these guys...

About the mens physique thing that is taking off...I agree most think its an attainable look, the girls like it etc...just wondering here...you think as it goes on those guys will keep stepping it up till we get to the point where they are coming in with a Frank Zane type physique....the physique class turning into almost an "golden age BB'ing" contest down the road...what do ya think? Might be interesting...

Lots of good points being made...glad to hear there are still some young bucs who wanna get it done...

There are a couple in my gym that I help out as much as I can...just like the vets who helped me early on...passing it down as best I can...trying to get them to learn from my mistakes... Most however start talking gear 2 or 3 mins. into their very first conversation...I wont help these guys...

About the mens physique thing that is taking off...I agree most think its an attainable look, the girls like it etc...just wondering here...you think as it goes on those guys will keep stepping it up till we get to the point where they are coming in with a Frank Zane type physique....the physique class turning into almost an "golden age BB'ing" contest down the road...what do ya think? Might be interesting...
shit I can only hope that physique will turn into what BB'ing used to be when the physiques were actually good looking lol

Ive noticed that even the clothes today are tailored for skinny ass pussies. Its hard to find normal shirts because there all slim fit. This generation is pathetic.

Bodybuilding is a niche 'sport'. It seems that niche sports go in fads, and bodybuilding as a fad happened a pretty long time ago. Just like when everyone took Karate after 'Karate Kid' came out, everyone played paintball at one point, Snowboarding was the 'in' thing for a while, and now everyone and their mother does MMA.

Of course there will always be people who stick to their sports; there are still plenty of avid paintballers, Karate guys, etc, but none of it is exactly mainstream anymore.

Modern pro bodybuilding is way too freaky for the average person to be interested in, and in my experience, most people think it is downright strange and disliked by many. I hear a lot of people make fun of bodybuilders, saying they look stupid and that the look just comes from steroids (as in, anyone can do it if they take roids).

Right now general fitness seems to be the fad as far as body types/looks go, you can see this with the p90x, crossfit, and the board short bodybuilding division.

I've been training for just over 12 years now, and even I have changed my outlook a bit as I have learned what it takes to be a real modern bodybuilder. The heavy drug use, the loss of athleticism, the health concerns, etc.
I've began leaning more towards fitness and health (just turned 30), and to be honest, I have gotten a little scared of the lifestyle recently as more and more people have been getting very serious health problems. A buddy just came over today and told me his friend had a massive stroke, he is on year round and was quite a massive guy.
The whole illegal aspect of the drug use is a huge turn off too, as more and more people I know have gotten busted for using over the years.

As far as the younger guys you mention that don't train hard, don't eat right, and take roids to look like the guys in '300' or Brad Pitt in 'Fight Club', they're just idiots that are more than likely just in the gym for the social aspect and are hoping to make themselves more attractive to females.

So to answer your question, no, I don't think it will come back full circle. I think the hey dey is indeed over, and that the modern freak look is not appealing to most.
The strange part of it all (to me) is that steroid use is WAY up, it seems so many young guys are using, but they don't know what they are doing and they don't even want to look 'too big'. I'm guessing many do it because they like the way the drugs make them feel (sex drive, confidence, aggression) and they like that they can look better than average without working too hard or eating strictly.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear