over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

400 pound benchers

southoftheborder

Registered
That is my next goal...

Closing in...350 for 2 reps..

For those of you that have reached that level...

Can you share the amount of gear you were using at the time you reached the 400 bench level (and what were you using)? were you following any special training program? how much did you weight and what type of nutrition plan were you following (if any)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was 18 hit 405 for a single on no juice just bulked up from 185 to 240 in a year. Always a natural presser. Squats used to suck ass

I'm currently singling 545 at 275 I'm 27 years old, so if I had any suggestions for you it would be. Be a master of all pressing movements. Get your triceps stong as fuck. Get really strong on skull crushers. Get really strong on back movements. Stronger lats actually do equal strong bench. Have load and de load weeks. Gain weight.

All this is soley on the fact that you want to gain strength on the bench.

As for gear. I would say the ones that will make you gain strength really quick are the wet compounds. Test Deca Anadrol. But you should be able to hit 400 pounds on just test. If not then idk maybe benching isn't your thing.

How much do you weigh?

At my best (in my 20s) I would do 525lbs for 5 reps (flat bench) and 465 lbs for 2 sets of 8 reps (inclines), always with perfect form. I never did much more than a gram of AAS even pre-contest. Not about the gear, I wasn't a powerlifter so I didn't train for the weight aspect at all. I did partially tear my pec muscle doing a set of 465 inclines, so I haven't moved that much weight in a long time now.

Biomechanics play a tremendous role here.

So does your skeletal structure.

Mgs of gear don't mean anything when it comes to strength in that regard. Sure powerlifters take strong stuff leading up to a meet (some dont), but that has more to do with CNS involvement than gaining pure strength.

Larry Wheels has posted taking 500 mgs of test and 300 mgs of deca a week while benching 600+ lbs (yeah yeah, he's a liar, takes 6 grams minimum and we are all suckers [emoji3]). None of that has anything to do with gear; kid was stupid strong at 16, and is built for that.

Like BL stated; it's progression. Day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, decade after decade.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mgs of gear don't mean anything when it comes to strength in that regard. Sure powerlifters take strong stuff leading up to a meet (some dont), but that has more to do with CNS involvement than gaining pure strength.

Larry Wheels has posted taking 500 mgs of test and 300 mgs of deca a week while benching 600+ lbs (yeah yeah, he's a liar, takes 6 grams minimum and we are all suckers [emoji3]). None of that has anything to do with gear; kid was stupid strong at 16, and is built for that.

Like BL stated; it's progression. Day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, decade after decade.

This 100% a lot of it's just genetics

I managed to do over 400 lb's at a weight of 210 before I ever used any AS. I have trained with many guys that have benched in the 500 lb range that I am sure did not use anything. Other then years of training.

i floor pressed 410 for 1 extremely long rep :eek:

never trying to do that shit again, not worth the risk of a tear.. i'll stay below 3pps

was on test, tren, and m1t

That is my next goal...

Can you share the amount of gear you were using at the time you reached the 400 bench level (and what were you using)? were you following any special training program? how much did you weight and what type of nutrition plan were you following (if any)?

405 is something you can do natural, if you think you need special gear to hit 405, you either have very bad genetics for pressing or need to re-evaluate your training etc. If you take Biglizard as one example and then Concreter as another, Concreter said himself about his struggles reaching a 405 bench and he is 260+ ripped and on plenty of gear. Lizard hit it at 240 natural in a year...Obviously gear will get you there much easier and faster...

Larry Wheels also take Anadrol, maybe only leading into meets though.

It will come down to many factors, not least genetics. However, what helped me the most was bands and benching twice a week. Bands really teach you speed and explosiveness. Just be warned you may need to de-load more with bands as I find they really grind you down due to the overload. Triceps were my weakness, so that is where I focused.

Main points
- Frequency (sheikos novice routine includes bench 3x per week, I also believe Kirill benched 3 times per week leading to the All Time record)
- Focus on the bench, you can't max everything all at once, you only recover so much.
- Cycle in variations, like bands, chains, the slingshot (look it up, it helps)
- Personally I cannot stress enough the importance of Tricep power
- Find your weak spot and address what YOU need to work on (where you get stuck)
- Do you train like a powerlifter or a bodybuilder? The fastest way will be powerlifting.
- How is your set up on the bench? Once again, powerlifter style bench with arch, elbows tucked, leg drive etc or bodybuilder style?
- Technique will play a big role, work to your mechanical leverages
- Bodyweight, for the most people, the heavier you are the more you can lift. If you weigh 180 you are very unlikely to bench 405. Although outliers exist. Look at powerlighting bodyweight vs bench, 2.5x bodyweight is about the best you will see. Don't forget they cut pretty brutally as well.
- Lastly, time and consistency along with staying injury free, do your pre-hab! Get soft tissue work or look up self-myofasical release. You won't bench big with wrecked shoulders and torn pecs!

You're going to find you get plenty of conflicting advice depending on where each person struggled or didn't as the case may be.

Find what works for you, experiment, stick with it and then take what works and build your own system.

Questions for you:
What is your bodyweight?
How do you train? How often do you bench?
How do you bench? You may get 30lbs by changing up your style of bench alone.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
That is my next goal...

I hit 400 lbs drug-free.

At 17, I was hitting 315 X 3. Never new what A steroid even Was? Lost a Competition to A guy A yr older.
He was 5'5" w- a barreled chest and had T-rex arms, His range of Motion was like 6inches"....
Me, I'm built Like a Monkey and my Rep is like 3' feet!!!lol
Genetics!

Thanks for the feedback...

I am currently around 220 to 225... at 5"9

Was a very skinny kid, my genetics are not very good and I am not naturally strong at all...

I have been focusing on increasing my strenght on the main lifts... no plan to compete... just a goal of mine... I want to do it safely (no injuries)...

Training a pressing movements once a week ... but benching heavy once every third week or so (5, 3 or 1 rep)...

Do a lot of military press, dips and some close grip bench.

I also think my technique is on point...

Tight... shoulders back... foot set closer to the bench to create leg power...

I grip the bar sort of "close".... my pinkies are about "two fingers wide" inside the power rings... this saves me a lot a stress on the shoulders... and maybe cuts a little bit on my power..

I have been watching a lot of powerlifting videos ....

I like supertraining.tv videso with Mark bell and his podcasts...

Hit 4 plates my first time in my late 30's. Until then I had not really focused on trying to bench really heavy. I think I have a few posts in the pwer lifting section about my training.

I did it at a BW of 190lbs. I was using 250mg Test and about 200mg of Tren per week.

Like mentioned above...triceps are a big part....especially if you are having issues at the top part of the motion. If you get buried at the bottom...then as Big Lizard said...strengthening your back is one of the best things you can do to increase your bench. As odd as it sounds...if you can row heavy..I promise you will bench heavy.

Also weighted dips and trying to keep progressing these will help your bench out big time.

Concerning genetics....My old training partner was doing 4 plates for reps at the same body weight that I was. Now he is around 220 lbs and benching in the upper 500's.

How do you do max singles? You go in and study powerlifting...there is also a powerlifting section of pro muscle :lightbulb:

Last edited:
I did Hit 425 last March....Then Tore my Pec!!!!
Should not Fight Genetics...lol

I also think my technique is on point...

Tight... shoulders back... foot set closer to the bench to create leg power...

I grip the bar sort of "close".... my pinkies are about "two fingers wide" inside the power rings... this saves me a lot a stress on the shoulders... and maybe cuts a little bit on my power..

I have been watching a lot of powerlifting videos ....

I like supertraining.tv videso with Mark bell and his podcasts...

You have quite a narrow grip, watch the video below from 1.30 in and it explains elbow tuck and stacking your wrist elbow etc. Also, you may as well watch the whole thing, but Brandon Lilly reckons the most important muscles for bench are (in order) - Triceps, Lats, Shoulders, Pecs...

https://youtu.be/D7OwML29Cls

If you stick with that grip, you would benefit from bands, chains and other forms of accommodating resistance. I'm pretty sure you could also over haul your routine, which would help. Especially more frequent benching.

How do you do max singles? You go in and study powerlifting...there is also a powerlifting section of pro muscle :lightbulb:

The powerlifting section is pretty dead...He also didn't actually say he was training for pure powerlifting, I think he just wants a better bench (hence asking what drugs people took lol).

no longer

I was going to do my first powerlifting event last November, long story short, hurt my back and did not compete.

Gave up on the powerlifting thing, just can't afford the injuries, with a family and all. Before i hurt my back at work i was putting up 475x2 paused reps. Would have won my age and weight with 500+ which i could have made, since i still had 3 months to go before the competition when i hurt myself.

Now i don't even do flat bench anymore, everything is dumbbells and cables.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws